Intermittent USB connection

The AX3 showed in the System Report when I opened it (for the 200th time!) and momentarily appeared as an option in Fractal-Bot but then timed out. When I reopened the System Report it was gone again. So at least the intermittent thing is consistent (pun intended).

The AX3 showed in the System Report when I opened it (for the 200th time!) and momentarily appeared as an option in Fractal-Bot but then timed out. When I reopened the System Report it was gone again. So at least the intermittent thing is consistent (pun intended).
Strange that it shows sometimes and not others. Definetly try another cable, and computer if you can.

Okay - so the good news is the AX3 connects fine with another computer! Phew.

I upgraded the firmware via that machine (to 1.13) but it still won't connect with my Mac. The 2nd computer was running El Capitan 10.11.6 -I'm running High Sierra 10.13.6. Is anyone else running the AX3 with High Sierra? Any known issues?

Okay - so the good news is the AX3 connects fine with another computer! Phew.

I upgraded the firmware via that machine (to 1.13) but it still won't connect with my Mac. The 2nd computer was running El Capitan 10.11.6 -I'm running High Sierra 10.13.6. Is anyone else running the AX3 with High Sierra? Any known issues?
i'm running 10.13.6 and 10.14.x on another computer - no issues on either.

Are you using a later model Macbook Pro with USB-C only? If so, are you using one of Apple's USB-C to USB dongles? Reason I ask is I've had various issues from multiple vendors with USB-C to USB dongles. In the end, I trashed them all because I was having all kinds strange issues with these. Now, I just use the Apple only converter without issue.

Hope you get this resolved.

I'm glad this thread is at least getting some attention from FAS. I've been posting about the same issue in another thread and all I received was Increase Buffer Size. I'm facing USB issues with both Mac as well as Windows.

Now that we've eliminated the Axe as the culprit, the most sensible thing to do would be to do either a clean install of your system drive or upgrade to the latest OS. Both of these "should" clean up your system issues. The clean install would be best but may be impractical.
That is assuming all hardware involved is fine - new cable, no dongle or only Apple-made dongle, etc.

Thanks for all the replies - I'm incredibly grateful!

I'm not using a USB-C adapter so no issue there - my mac is mid 2015.
Clean install is my thinking too. I'll upgrade to the latest OS first and see if that works - as you say a completely clean install is a major pain.

I've been going through everything else I have on my Mac and the only thing I've come across that may have issues is the Focusrite Scarlett 18i8. There have been a few reports online of problems with the drivers interfering with ProTools. I've uninstalled it but nothing changed.

I do run plenty of virtual instruments but none of the MIDI should be going to the Axe. It's all in the DAW.
The reason I ask is because I was having problems where If I was running midi tracks for drums in pro tools it would cause protools and Axe Edit to start acting funny. I would be in the middle of playing a session and I would hit stop and pro tools wouldn't respond, I turn off Axe Edit, and all of a sudden my session would stop. So I went into my midi menu in pro tools and noticed the Axe FX was an enabled midi controller device, disabled it, and now everything works fine. No unresponsive protools, and no communication errors with axe edit...

Seems I spoke too soon!

This morning again no connectivity. Some connecting/disconnecting every few seconds but after I restarted Mac (which had been in sleep mode overnight) and AX3, nothing. Went through the same process as previously to no avail.

So it worked for a few hours (!) then I turned off the AX3 overnight and it wasn't working once I restarted. What a tease!

I'll reinstall my OSX over the weekend and see if that clears it all up.

Having to reinstall OS for a $2500 piece of gear for which multiple users are reporting the same issue. This is getting a bit ridiculous for sure.

Back
Top Bottom