Intermittent USB connection

elephall

Hi all

Just received the AF3 and having a really good time!

My USB connection, however, isn't. I connected and got a timeout message. Power-cylced the AF3 and it worked for a few minutes. Updating the firmware I got another timeout message, at 64% complete, suggesting I power-cycle the AF3 and try again. Same thing - this time froze Fractal Bot too - at 4% complete.

I've tried powering Mac and Ax3 on/off in various orders. Fractal Bot occasionally sees the Ax3 and then times out a few moments later. I can no longer get to the stage of attempting to update the firmware (that failed at 64% then 4% respectively, above).

In Ableton Live it didn't appear as a device until I reopened Ableton twice, then it was there and as soon as I selected it Ableton crashed.

I've tried other USB cables, different ports on my MacBook Pro (which previously worked fine with Ax2 and Ax8). I have USB 1.06 and firmware 1.12 (these came loaded on the Ax3). The In/Out meters on the USB screen in Setup>Utilities has In sitting at 50% and Out at 0%.

What this means is I can't use Axe Edit (connection times out), I can't update anything that uses Fractal Bot (times out) and I can't use the USB connection for any type of audio (crashes the programme or doesn't show up as a connection).

I know there are a few issues that are being looked into (I know Logic crashes for a few people). But I haven't heard of others who can't update the firmware or use Axe Edit at all.

Any ideas?

Thanks
EF

I wonder if there's some weird conflict due to previously using an Axe-Fx II. I would try running Clean My Mac and then reconnecting.

The USB connection is extensively tested at the factory because that is what is used to load the firmware, presets and factory cabs.

I wonder if there's some weird conflict due to previously using an Axe-Fx II. I would try running Clean My Mac and then reconnecting.

The USB connection is extensively tested at the factory because that is what is used to load the firmware, presets and factory cabs.
I'll give that a go and report back.

Running a cleanup and ensuring there are no past Axe edit versions (there were) around hasn't made any difference.

I don't seem to be getting even intermittent connection now - nothing at all. This was the case just prior to running the cleanup i.e. it seemed to have ceased entirely at that point.

I haven’t experienced that with my Axe3 ever. Try restarting again, another usb cable again, etc. ??

If you're trying to scare me - job well done! ;) But I very much appreciate the help.
I haven’t experienced that with my Axe3 ever. Try restarting again, another usb cable again, etc. ??
Restarted both AX3 and Mac. Tried another USB (4th one - all work with other equip). Still not happening.

Last edited:
Correction - there is still occasional connectivity. I noticed Axe Edit momentarily connected and then disconnected after I had Axe Edit open for 30 seconds or so.
I'm running High Sierra 10.13.6.

Apple Menu/About this mac/more info/system report/ then in the list on the left select USB with the Axe Turned on, and you should see it listed as a connected device on the right hand side. If you are not seeing it, move the connection to different ports and see if it shows on any of them.

I'm on an older mac OS version so you may access the system profiler in a different way, but this will at least tell you if the mac is seeing the Axe. If it is then it's not a port issue, or an Axe Issue, something is conflicting.

Apple Menu/About this mac/more info/system report/ then in the list on the left select USB with the Axe Turned on, and you should see it listed as a connected device on the right hand side. If you are not seeing it, move the connection to different ports and see if it shows on any of them.

I'm on an older mac OS version so you may access the system profiler in a different way, but this will at least tell you if the mac is seeing the Axe. If it is then it's not a port issue, or an Axe Issue, something is conflicting.
Many thanks for the tip. Unfortunately it doesn't appear in the USB device list plugged into any port.

Do you have another computer you can use to test this with? It would be good to eliminate options before having to maybe ship back.

Not to pile on, but I've also had some funny experiences when running AE3 and ProTools at the same time. I've resorted to editing on the panel while I do my sessions but if I run both at the same time I'll start getting drop-outs, and eventually the computer and Axe III will lose sync, my audio will stutter heavily and I have to reseat the USB and restart my DAW.

Not to pile on, but I've also had some funny experiences when running AE3 and ProTools at the same time. I've resorted to editing on the panel while I do my sessions but if I run both at the same time I'll start getting drop-outs, and eventually the computer and Axe III will lose sync, my audio will stutter heavily and I have to reseat the USB and restart my DAW.
are you by chance running midi in your session such as superior drummer, ex drummer or the like?

Thanks all - really appreciate the help

I've turned off/disconnected everything else to just the AX3 and the Mac to try and eliminate as much as possible. First thing I did with the AX3 the first time I plugged in with the USB was try to update to the latest firmware - which is when the problem first showed up. Apart from opening Ableton a couple of times to see if I could detect the AX3 thru that (if it appeared in Ableton it crashed as soon as I selected it, or I couldn't see it at all) I haven't opened any other programmes.

I'll get a new USB cable today to eliminate that as a possibility altogether, and try another computer too.

Back
Top Bottom