Intermittent sound loss Fw11.03

cragginshred

Fractal Fanatic
Over the weekend while tweaking Fw 11.03 I noticed I would get a very brief loss of sound while playing. It was as though my batteries were dying in my wireless unit. It was not that, then the USB -a known source of weird crackles when plugged in to macbook pro. With the USB unplugged and full batteries it still would cut out. Then even less often but still weird was the tone would periodically sound like my tone knob had been rolled off.
Ideas?

I'm guessing that you're simultaneously USB'd into your Mac / PC with AE open
if so, things can sound a little spazzy whilst AE is updated with info from the Axe
especially amp info

shut down AE and everything should work normally

I had this happen with the AE open and USB plugged in at a practice session-Loss of sound. The Axe actually froze up-Had to unplug everything even the midi controller to the Axe back on? After that I leave the PC in the truck.

But it could be you wireless pack cable-I had the little wire from Transmitter to Gtr output go bad once.

I had it happen last night with no USB plugged in. This was with 11.03 (which sounds great I might add).
No pedals were plugged in. At first I thought it was only particular to the preset I was editing, but found that any preset had a reduced and muffled output. Very strange. It was late so I just shut it off, but I will fire it up tonight. I was editing a preset at the time. I wonder what would make it affect the other presets... Need mor data.....

Over the weekend while tweaking Fw 11.03 I noticed I would get a very brief loss of sound while playing. It was as though my batteries were dying in my wireless unit. It was not that, then the USB -a known source of weird crackles when plugged in to macbook pro. With the USB unplugged and full batteries it still would cut out. Then even less often but still weird was the tone would periodically sound like my tone knob had been rolled off.
Ideas?

Did it happen after you pressed a switch on the MFC?

Something like this happened to me at a gig over the weekend, but only when I changed to a new preset. I have not had the time to investigate much yet though. No USB hooked up, just a normal AX2-MFC setup. A few times when I changed to a different preset like my lead patch (but not always the same one), the sound would either cut out completely or be so low without tone that it could barely be heard. Hard to really tell with the band stage volume. The patch had shown as changed on the AXE and MFC at the time so it was not as if the switch was not working. I would then click around a few other presets, because the band was looking at me saying they couldn't hear anything and something would come on. Later when I would try that patch again, it did come back on so it was not as if the patch could not be used but seemed intermittent(?). But I couldn't trust them each time I clicked a new preset. I have never had this kind of issue with my setup so I wondered if it was my Ethernet cable or something strange with the firmware that I should reset. I will swap out the cable when I test it tonight but the AXE and MFC did show they had changed when I clicked the preset.
I am using FW 11.03 and 2.18 and always try to be up to date.

Maybe something in my presets that may be causing it? Not blaming but come to think of it I was using a few of Yek's presets (which I am very grateful for) and they are the ones where I noticed this. I know they are a bit more complicated than other ones I use and my hardware setup is quite simple, could there be a controller or something I should have disabled? Maybe something didn't initialize correctly sometimes when I activate the preset?

If anyone has any thoughts that may help, I would greatly appreciate it.

Yep, it happened to me too a few times, when switching between presets. At random.
For some reason I suspect controllers, internal or external. Maybe for some reason they sometimes don't initialize fast enough when switching presets. (just guessing though!)

Could be the Mixer block (ext.9) or the Vol1 block (envelope).

Last edited:
Did it happen after you pressed a switch on the MFC?
No, I was just playing and tweaking pre sets. Mostly playing. Happened with new batteries. I do need to confirm it happening with a hard line as I mostly use the Line6 g30 wireless (will do tonight). It is not AE as I fully unplugged the USB And it happened without the lap top in the studio.
thanks for others posting your similar experiences!
-Don

Is it a complete cut out or a gradual "dimming". I've experienced this on one side of my rig only but I'm still trouble shooting it and suspect it is a cable issue.

I had my MFC-101 and a SP1 Mission engineering pedal with switch set to turn on and off the WAH. With the AXE FX II through the USB to the PC running AXE EDIT. I did this before with FW10 (obviously no AXE EDIT) and worked perfect. With FW11.03, there was was WAH on or no sound, toggling back and forth. With no AXE EDIT, it worked perfectly WAH on/ WAH off.

With AE open, things can happen.

Let's keep this case limited to situations where AE was not connected.

With AE open, things can happen.

Let's keep this case limited to situations where AE was not connected.
Thanks Yek, I had repeated that several times. @Sprint no dimming just a quick cut and back very similar to if my batteries were going dead in G30. Then there was an instant where it sounded like my tone knob had been rolled back.
Tonight i will confirm it does it with a hard line. And as matt from FAS support suggested head phones.

Yep, it happened to me too a few times, when switching between presets. At random.
For some reason I suspect controllers, internal or external. Maybe for some reason they sometimes don't initialize fast enough when switching presets.

I do use a vol block for the Boss expression pedal, but it never happened following a preset change.

I have not experienced that and don't use a footswitch at all. Only mention that in case it is an issue with the connection between the Axe-FX II and the MFC-101.

I had it happen a few nights ago ..... I was using active EMGs and 'told myself' it was just probably a dying battery but I know the battery's fine. I was playing a clean and quite heavily compressed preset (factory one - can't recall which one) through headphones and picking quite lightly but evenly and I got a couple of dead notes. I seem to recall that the ambience/reverb of the preset remained there - but just no string signal - IE the output volume of the Axe seemed to stay ok. Could the Input gate maybe be a brownout suspect?

I've tried to replicate since and can't - same guitar, same battery and same lead. Probably too many variables to be taken seriously but just sayin ......

I will go in and try to remove the things you mention and see if that clears it up. There is much to learn in these presets and I am happy to investigate. It helps to know that you have seen similar, this may mean it is something common between us.

Nothing more jarring than when you are about to begin your big moment and ... :(
However, I am confident it is something small and part of my preset/setup though. The AXEFX in general has been very solid and trustable.

Again, thanks for these presets though, they have been very useful for me.

I don't know if this applies to the OP, but a while back I had a level issue..
it didn't cut out completely, but it was fluctuating randomly..
it turned out to be an expression pedal that was kinda broke..
so it was 'chattering' the MIDI values even when I didn't touch it..
it didn't do it all the time either...
and when I went from heel to toe it never seemed to quite return to the max level every time

Played tonight with zero issues! Possible there was an Edit issue or something?? Next time if there is one I will unplug any usb then get a regular cable and headphones to rule out any internal issues.

Reactions: sam
I had it happen a few nights ago ..... I was using active EMGs and 'told myself' it was just probably a dying battery but I know the battery's fine. I was playing a clean and quite heavily compressed preset (factory one - can't recall which one) through headphones and picking quite lightly but evenly and I got a couple of dead notes. I seem to recall that the ambience/reverb of the preset remained there - but just no string signal - IE the output volume of the Axe seemed to stay ok. Could the Input gate maybe be a brownout suspect?

I've tried to replicate since and can't - same guitar, same battery and same lead. Probably too many variables to be taken seriously but just sayin ......

Yeah, Input Gate is a possible suspect too. We'll see.

Back
Top Bottom