Interface to work along Axe-Fx III?

Mohi

Experienced
So I am renewing my computer and interface at home, from Windows and a Scarlett 18i20 first gen, to a Mac and another interface. I know the Axe can be a good interface but sometimes I use guitar plugins, or just open the computer and listen music thru the monitors. I was thinking about the Universal Audio Apollo Twin X Duo, because has a good reputation, is thunderbolt, and some of the UAD plugins seem pretty good, on the other hand there are alternatives like Focusrite 18i8 that is half the price, and features also a Optical In. My experience with the 1st gen Scarlett is that the SW is ... meh, I do not know if the 3rd is better. Any experience and feedback?

thanks!

Both the Axe and Focusrite Gen 3 are great choices. I use my Axe as my main interface. I will never again buy a UAD product.

I wanted an RME but couldn't afford it. Amazing hardware and drivers. But I can't justify the expense considering how great the interface in the Axe is.

UAD makes great plugins, but I've had stability problems with my hardware, the interfaces are expensive for what you get, and the company is not very responsive. They also deleted my review of a plug-in that addressed specific issues rather than gushed over how awesome it was in every conceivable way. No room for constructive criticism or legitimate questions concerning their claims. Emails went unanswered.

Just got a Motu M2 and very happy with it. It won a very detailed shootout for the best headphone out.

You are going to get a million different opinions but here is my real world experience.

I’ve been using a MOTU Track16 with the add-on breakout box for seven years with no issues whatsoever. In fact I’m not sure I even have a compelling reason to upgrade it even though I am a bit of a gear whore :)

Thanks all for the great feedback. Yeah RME look amazing but are crazy expensive, the 900 Euros of the UAD is my expense ceiling. I honestly care only about the Hi-Z input/converter, optical input and the drivers, all the rest pretty much have no preference. I'd use the Axe as main interface but many times fire up the computer for other stuff so not an option.

RME write all their drivers in-house and are known for having the best RTL and stability in the industry. The RME Babyface Pro FS appears to be well within your budget and I think may be your best option.

Yes that Babyface looks great, I just say a couple of reviews, has the same RTL as a Thunderbolt interface. Only thing that worries me is the Macbook Pro I am getting has no USB port, and do not know how much the Thunderbolt to USB converters would ruin the advantages of the interface.

EDIT: there seems to be a lot of trouble with RME USB and Macbooks, according to the RME Forum:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=26881&p=6

That would be a no go for me, want some plug and play experience.

Last edited:
HI all,
have a MOtu 828es (with the drivers for AVB) and it's very stable with high quality converter.
Plug my AFX3 with S/PDIF and work great.

Initially wanted a RME 802, but too much expensive.
The MOtu M2/M4 have great converters too, and not expensive.

I have been happily using an RME fireface UC with my 2018 MBP. Have had no issues at all. I often run it in aggravate with my Axe 3. I initially got in 2016 when I made a jump to PC/Windows, and it’s always been rock solid.

I’m in a similar boat. I will be getting a new Mac and interface.

I am also looking at the Apollo X but am wondering, If I don’t plan on recording and only plan on using it connected via spdif and connecting monitors to interfacedo I really need to spend that kind of money. In Other words will the Apollo make the axe FX 3 sound better compared to say the Scarlett 8i6?
Does how good the AD/DA converters of the interface equate to better sound output? Or does that only apply for recording? If connected via spidf then no conversion is required as the signal is all digital.

Thanks

Last edited:
I finally got a Twin X, good deal B-Stock here in Thomann. I have hooked it via SPDIF with a Toslink converter, so digital to digital, do not expect to notice a lot of differences. With plugins like S-Gear probably I am experiencing a bit more of headroom of the preamp before clipping than in mz¡y Scarlett 18i20 1st gen but cannot tell for sure.

The SW provided is top notch though, I had some problems with Focusrite drivers in Windows. The Apollo in Mac works 100% good.

So many good cheap interfaces from Presonus, Motu, Steinberg, Audient and others.

Last edited:
I finally got a Twin X, good deal B-Stock here in Thomann. I have hooked it via SPDIF with a Toslink converter, so digital to digital, do not expect to notice a lot of differences. With plugins like S-Gear probably I am experiencing a bit more of headroom of the preamp before clipping than in mz¡y Scarlett 18i20 1st gen but cannot tell for sure.

The SW provided is top notch though, I had some problems with Focusrite drivers in Windows. The Apollo in Mac works 100% good.
Do you notice a difference when playing the axe through the Apollo vs the Scarlett?

That’s my question if one does not plan on recording and only monitoring the axe for playback connected via spidf does the interface effect the sound quality much?

Back
Top Bottom