Interface Input level vs Output Level

Lvdb

Hello Friends,

I searched around but didn't really find anything conclusive in the forums. What is the consensus on audio interface input level 0 with output level 1 raised to the ideal volume thus doing all the work as opposed to AFX output 1 set at noon and making up the level with the interface input level? In my case, 75% AFX Out 1 and input levels 0 on each channel vs 50% out 1 and input levels at 15ish%.

When reamping a sine wave, I can visibly see a difference and in my tones I can hear a difference. I dialed my patches to "share the load" between my interface preamps and my AFX to reach ideal volume (AFX set at noon, as per something I read Cliff say about unity gain at some point). I am now concerned that my tones sound rather different without my interface preamps playing a role. I feel that either approach yields great sounds, but like the rest of us; I am trying to make my tone universally compatible with as few variables as possible.

I guess in a sense I already have my own opinion formed, but I would love to hear some other ideas on the subject.

Thanks

Unity gain is achieved with the front panel output knobs turned up all the way and no gain on the grid (all shunts). Some blocks, like the amp block, are not unity gain blocks. They boost the level quite a bit so your output knob setting will depend on your preset level on the grid..

Set your input level based on the front panel level meter. You want your hard hits to make the top red LEDs blink a bit (tickle the red).

Use the VU meter in the Utility menu to set your overall grid level in your presets to around the vertical 0 dB mark. That gives a good signal level with ample headroom.

Once those are set, use the front panel output knob to set the level going to your interface without clipping it.

For analog reamping, you also must make sure you are sending the proper signal level back to the Axe II. A hotter or weaker signal there will have a direct impact on how hard the amp models will be driven. Your dry signal level should match the output level of your guitar pickups to get the same response from the models, so it will likely be fairly low compared to a line level signal.

Back
Top Bottom