Interface Idea...

nicolasrivera

Fractal Fanatic
I posted this over the Lounge section, here is more appropriate.:stupid:

After spending more time with my friends Axe Fx and leaning the deep interface it has i was but wondering why is it that there are not more dedicated knobs for the essential settings to any amp or Fx's. How having some free time this evening i modeled the Axe Fx II and its knob crazy brother above!. They are both not finished yet, but wanted to post it at this stage so i hear what your opinions are....

One thing i always do is small tweaks to my amp live, always and i found that in the AFX is really not practical to do this, at least in the Ultra that was unit i was trying out, for me this is crucial live..... sake for the FXs... and other things... So the knob crazy brother has this covered, i guess...

New-Control-interface_zps8e8ae681.jpg

New-Control-interface02_zpscec5902b.jpg

And just for self torture i simulated my "soon to be" Axe Fx II on my desk..... did i mentioned torture! :mrgreen

IMG_6245-with-AXE-copy_zps99f6e3a7.jpg

Your idea of the Axe front panel however is way too packed with controls for my taste. I love the front panel how it is, though some menus could be re-arranged for better workflow.

I love the idea of a dedicated controller for faster setting up of amp parameters, etc.!
Then again, I think this is what Axe Edit is there for... an IPad with a working Axe-Edit 3.0 might solve this issue without the need to buy another piece of unneccesary physical gear. Well, at least when the USB-related crashes are fixed.

Your idea of the Axe front panel however is way too packed with controls for my taste. I love the front panel how it is, though some menus could be re-arranged for better workflow.

I love the idea of a dedicated controller for faster setting up of amp parameters, etc.!
Then again, I think this is what Axe Edit is there for... an IPad with a working Axe-Edit 3.0 might solve this issue without the need to buy another piece of unneccesary physical gear. Well, at least when the USB-related crashes are fixed.

I see your point, but i personally have to come to terms with the "flat screen touch thing", i strongly believe there is nothing like physical knobs for quick settings for musical units. I also love deep editing options!, but deep menu navigation is not handy in live or other situations. And i also sternly believe in light indicators for knob positions! Intelligent buttons are great too, like having 3 light colors for some of them to select 3 different what ever you assign them for....

AxeFXII3D05_zpsd78240a3.jpg

I think that for this sophisticated stuff we always need a window.
Even me, who doesn't see a dick on Fractal Led Display, it's a need to see anything.
Anyway, good engineering work.

Also need to say that my fingers are like sausages, not like that thin and delicate fingers from virtuoso players.
As we say in Spain "tengo los dedos como un manojo de nabos"

I do appreciate the thought but, Hey, raise your hand if you also sat double bent over a table/rack/bench to tweak the TINY Roland GP-8 display back in 1988 or so. Right now i prefer front panel AS-IS or a fully functional AXE EDIT...

I do appreciate the thought but, Hey, raise your hand if you also sat double bent over a table/rack/bench to tweak the TINY Roland GP-8 display back in 1988 or so. Right now i prefer front panel AS-IS or a fully functional AXE EDIT...

axe edit also on road?

I think that for this sophisticated stuff we always need a window.
Even me, who doesn't see a dick on Fractal Led Display, it's a need to see anything.
Anyway, good engineering work.

Also need to say that my fingers are like sausages, not like that thin and delicate fingers from virtuoso players.
As we say in Spain "tengo los dedos como un manojo de nabos"

Jajajaj yo también algo grandes!!! :lol:lol

I'm all for any discussion about a user interface with more buttons and knobs. (the 3D work is way cool...what program are you using?)

Personally, I think that since the AxeFx is used in so many different ways, having dedicated controls for anything other than that which is globally necessary would be limiting, and limitations don't seem to play well in this day of easy to update firmware, apps, software, etc. Some users don't use the amp models, and some don't use the pedal drives, and some don't use cabinet sims, etc.

Lets face it: ipad/iphone and droid apps are dominating the tech world right now, and in ten years or so, physical knob tweaking and buttons will be considered archaic in much the same way as a physical channel "knob" found on old televisions from the 1960s and 70s, before wireless remotes were invented...or like the rotary phone.

Pro sound audio processors now pack so much into these small footprint boxes that the only reasonable way to access all of the features would be via computer or touch screen interface, and with wireless connectivity. It would be nice to think that someone might come up with a touch screen interface with programmable knobs and buttons on it for a processor like the AxeFx, but my senses tell me that it would be viewed as having limited returns for the cost. I've lamented that FAS didn't offer a more robust add-on physical hardware interface (and not a footpedal like the MFC), but the more I think about it, the more I understand why this seems like an idea they wouldn't want to pursue. JMHO.

What about a dedicated controller with light indicators!

Light-encoders-02_zpsa313d2c5.jpg

on the face of it, this looks like it could be a nice solution, but i'm not sure how it would work in practice. the dials would have to be adaptive and display the parameters that they were attached to. they would need text fields so you'd know what they did and the elegant form would be lost, imo.

on the face of it, this looks like it could be a nice solution, but i'm not sure how it would work in practice. the dials would have to be adaptive and display the parameters that they were attached to. they would need text fields so you'd know what they did and the elegant form would be lost, imo.

How about an active matrix right on the knob! :)

Matrix-live-knob_zpsdecc30ad.jpg

There isn't all that much point in having a ton of buttons. Instead it would be better to have a decent row of maybe 6-8 knobs that would change based on context.

At this point i totally agree! its just that i could not help my self but put just one more knob!! hahahahahaha :D

Back
Top Bottom