Interface help?

crisgmusic

Inspired
I know i can use the axe fx 3 as an interface but what would you recommend? I had the focusrite scarlett and was not a fan. Budget isnt an issue but dont need anything more than i need. Ill record the axe using xlr to whatever interface you recommend and use vsts for synths and drums
IM ON PC BTW SO USB PLEASE

Last edited:
I recommend the Axe-FX III or RME. I use the Axe for recording and reamping, and a MOTU if I need a sampling rate other than 48kHz. I can't afford an RME.

I recommend the Axe-FX III or RME. I use the Axe for recording and reamping, and a MOTU if I need a sampling rate other than 48kHz. I can't afford an RME.

I second that. There is no better option (simplicity, convenience, quality and easy reamping) than using the Axe-FX III USB. And you can still use the VST from the PC. Otherwise RME, since budget is not an issue.

Ok so i never used the axe as an interface. How do you control volumes between the axe and pc? Or do they share the same volume

Thanks for the info! I still plan on buying an interface just so i dont have to have my axe on all day. Going to record guitars when axe is used as interface and seperate interface for listening/mixing. Will probably be cheaper too since only used for the monitors xD

FWIW, even the Behringer UMC1820 sounds great to me for the price. Every price point has great options these days. It depends on your budget and how good your ears are.

when using the axe as interface is auto monitoring involved? Like when you enable record on pro tools will you hear double the sound?

My primary setup is RME based. But I had to take the home studio down (temporarily) and got an Audient id14 to use with the home laptop. Its another option to check if you are interested.

when using the axe as interface is auto monitoring involved? Like when you enable record on pro tools will you hear double the sound?
I use the Axe's USB for recording to the DAW and an Axe analog out for monitoring while I record. I never use record monitoring in my DAW due to the latency, even though the latency is extremely low when using a small buffer size. The Axe is no different than most interfaces in that respect. Most good interfaces have analog out for direct monitoring.

Assuming you have an audio output on your computer, there's no need to leave your axefx on all the time. Use the computer audio output for listening to computer audio and only turn on the axefx when you're using it. Get a simple mixer to connect your speakers to both the computer and axefx so you can hear both. An audio interface would only make sense if you're recording things other than the AxeFX.

Skip the mixer and run your axe fx out to the monitor 1/4 or xlr (whatever it is) and plug your speakers into your computer headphone jack.

Been running this way for a little bit and no issues. My 2i4 is gathering dust.

Back
Top Bottom