Interesting scene switch/pedal question/problem

Tplesko

Inspired
Hi I am hoping one of the experts here can solve this riddle. I've attached the patch and a screenshot - in Scene 2 called "Lofi Vinyl" I have rows 2 and 3 emulating an old record scratching - there are a few songs I play in cover bands where this is prevalent and I find it to be a really cool thing that the Fractal can do! And it sounds great, just a neat little thing I learned from someone on this forum and I love it. Here is my dilemma - I want to fade or blend Scene 2 into Scene 1 (a high gain tone) smoothly to begin the song with no interruption or delay because I use my Pedal 2 to swell in the volume right when I switch to Scene 1 - any ideas on if this is possible?

The exact song intro I am trying to emulate is Whatever by Godsmack. Starts with the vinyl sound, then vol swell into high gain nice and smoothly.

I know I can foot dance and change to Scene 1 and then back to my exp pedal to swell in the volume, but it is jagged and I am hoping I can do better but I need help!

I had thought I might do it with a mixer block tied to a mod somehow, but I am stumped. Any thoughts???? As you will see the synth, filter etc, blocks in Scene 2 are bypassed in all other scenes.

Thanks all, really appreciate any clever ideas. I feel I am missing something simple!!!

-ToddScreen Shot 2020-02-05 at 11.04.08 PM.png

Attachments

• Godsmack.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 9
A mixer block seems like a good approach. Make room for one before the multicomp and have the pedal adjust gtr/synth row levels oppositely. You could set the modifiers so the gtr. gets pretty loud before the static fades, like the song. Thru-bypass any other volume blocks you'd normally have engaged.

If you want normal volume control with this pedal later, you can eventually switch to a scene that mutes the synth path, bypasses the mixer, and engages a volume block.

Try this one?
  1. Copied Scene 1 to scene 2
  2. Added an opposing travel Vol/Pan block in the 'Vinyl' chain, with some damping adjustments and bypassed/muted in all other scenes.
  3. With the Vol pedal at full, Scene 1 and 2 are identical.
  4. While in Scene 2, pull your volume pedal down.
  5. 'Vinyl' sound will swell in (without having to play). Guitar is muted.
  6. Play your opening chord and swell in the guitar with the Vol pedal.
  7. The 'Vinyl' sound will fade away, with a little bit of 'Damping'.
  8. You can switch back to Scene 1 (and have use of the Vol pedal) at your leisure without any hiccups as long as the Vol pedal as maxed out.

Attachments

• Godsmack -- (12.02).syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 11
Could also probably set it up so that when to select scene 2, the 'Vinyl' sound auto-swells in, then play the opening chord, the guitar auto-swells in at a set rate, while the 'Vinyl' sound auto swells out. Then switch to scene 1 when the band comes in.

Could also probably set it up so that when to select scene 2, the 'Vinyl' sound auto-swells in, then play the opening chord, the guitar auto-swells in at a set rate, while the 'Vinyl' sound auto swells out. Then switch to scene 1 when the band comes in.
That is even better....any suggestion on how to do that?? I didnt know there was a way to swell in scenes? this is a great idea I just dont know how to achieve it!!???

Try this one?
  2. Added an opposing travel Vol/Pan block in the 'Vinyl' chain, with some damping adjustments and bypassed/muted in all other scenes.
  8. You can switch back to Scene 1 (and have use of the Vol pedal) at your leisure without any hiccups as long as the Vol pedal as maxed out.
oh sorry, didnt see this....let me give this a shot. Thanks SO MUCH Moke! You rule man,

Try this one?
Man I can't wait to try this.....it sounds perfect!!!

I‘d love to hear how this works out! Sliding between scenes like that is pretty killer and it’d be awesome if we could actually insert a ‘shift’ block between the scenes in Axe-Edit, assigning them to an expression pedal.

Side story-
Back when I was in 8th grade, living in NH, I remember hearing the radio premier of “Moon Baby” on the WAAF when Rocko brought it up on his local music portion of his show. I was an instant fan. Shortly after, “Whatever” was the single and I’d get stoked whenever I’d hear that intro come on.

I‘d love to hear how this works out! Sliding between scenes like that is pretty killer and it’d be awesome if we could actually insert a ‘shift’ block between the scenes in Axe-Edit, assigning them to an expression pedal.

Side story-
Back when I was in 8th grade, living in NH, I remember hearing the radio premier of “Moon Baby” on the WAAF when Rocko brought it up on his local music portion of his show. I was an instant fan. Shortly after, “Whatever” was the single and I’d get stoked whenever I’d hear that intro come on.
Shift block between scenes to smooth transition......great idea!!!!

That is even better....any suggestion on how to do that?? I didnt know there was a way to swell in scenes? this is a great idea I just dont know how to achieve it!!???
You can't actually swell in a scene itself. But you can make other thing 'swell in' by other means, on a per-scene basis. That second option would take a bit longer to figure out and setup, but I believe that it's doable.

Another way to do it is with a simple Mixer block and separate the vinyl signal path effects from your main tone. This is how I've achieved some pretty whacky stuff with my 'Morphing' patches, as it gives you clean and simple control over distinct signal paths without having to do any weird stuff with individual blocks (such as delays and reverbs) as you switch between tones. Although I've not done it here, you can set damping in the mixer block to keep the vinyl sound going as long as you want while the dirty tone fades in.

I've done a quick and dirty edit on your patch - attached - but with a little time and effort, you can easily tweak this to tidy it and get it to do what you need properly. Scene 2 is where you want to try this out at. Hope this helps! (picture attached)

Screenshot 2020-02-07 at 09.00.14.png

Attachments

• Godsmack.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 4

Side story-

There is a way to 'slide' between tones with a little creativity by creating 'morphing' patches. I've been using this approach live with fractal gear for years as I find it fun and easier (for me!) when gigging. Not actually sliding between scenes, but you can achieve the same thing with mixers and by thinking through the structure of the patches you need.

To increase a value over time you can also use the sequencer as a controller instead of a pedal. It's reliable and in the long run you can adjust and improve the settings on and on.

Back
Top Bottom