Interesting review

Status
Not open for further replies.
This reviewer is actually boarding on libel. If he had done a few minutes of research he would realize that the cost of just one DSP is more than his "$150 for the mainboard".

What an ass...

Okay Cliff, I'll give you the cost of the DSP but don't give me that crap about more power = more tone. I have had enough of your well founded, based in science, plausible explanations about how the ability to execute more code in realtime allows you to have more complex algorithms in the modeling code. We all know a Chevy is a Chevy (just look at a Chevelle and a Camaro) and no matter what the horsepower they both go thirty miles per hour... Next you'll be telling us that two amplifiers with different wattages makes a difference in clean headroom when they are both played at the same volume.

Also, I appreciated his comparison of a Marshall JTM45 close mic'd and dry to a Fractal JTM45 emulation through a Mesa power section with reverb and slapback echo. Can you believe the real JTM45 sounded fuller? Shocking! I proved this to myself by going to the fruit bowl in the kitchen and comparing an apple to an orange. The orange was much closer to an orange than the apple was.

I have concluded that since I always see people with umbrellas out when it rains that umbrellas cause rain.

I also loved the one line in one of the videos where he more or less said the Axe-FX II is the best amp modeler he has ever played through. Er... okay... so... why the ridicule and snobbery towards Fractal?

Oh well, I can't associate with you forum arseholes any longer (this evening).

I only use a 4x12 when im gigging and have been playing live for 20 years.......

LOL! Yah, I think that comment was a bit over the top. 4x12s typically have a thump that a lot of players love and are willing to roll them into even a small bar gig. Tony McKenzie may or may not be a "real" guitarist by someone's litmus test but he has paired his amps in a manner that the manufacturer's intended for most applications. You can certainly use 2x12 cabs with any of those amps but I do expect to see a Marshall head sitting on a 4x12 Marshall cab. Most 2x12 Marshall and Boogie users probably go for the combo amps. Tony might have a whole wall of 2x12 combo amps just off camera.

I posted umpteen comments to his Youtube videos and he has subsequently turned off commenting on them. I don't know if he's a good guy or not. But I would like to back a truck up to his place when he's not home and make off with his gear.

Reactions: jon
I just got through exchanging emails with Tony McKenzie. He was very personable and conciliatory. His de facto position is that his opinions are just that... opinions. He gave me his personal permission to publish this quote from him:

"Fractal Audio is the best digital emulator in the world right now. Period"

I think that speaks volumes and, other than possibly ulterior motives to self-promote, he's probably not a bad guy. If you all gang up and rip him a new one by picking on his guitar playing, etc. you're going to prove at least one of his points... your aresholes.

I did enjoy the look inside the unit without voiding my warranty ;) and he does seem to admit that regardless of the costs in manufacturing Fractal isn't any better or worse necessarily than Eventide, TC Electronic, etc. in cost/performance indexing. I for one know that we are paying for development, software, and proprietary secret sauce.

When I add the cost of a computer to a GOOD A/D interface like Focusrite, then buy Amplitube, work out impedance and instrument level settings, buy better reverb and delay VSTs (because Amplitube doesn't have that level) I am heading into the dollar range of these products and the amps won't sound or feel as good.

I just got through exchanging emails with Tony McKenzie. He was very personable and conciliatory. His de facto position is that his opinions are just that... opinions. He gave me his personal permission to publish this quote from him:

"Fractal Audio is the best digital emulator in the world right now. Period"

I think that speaks volumes and, other than possibly ulterior motives to self-promote, he's probably not a bad guy. If you all gang up and rip him a new one by picking on his guitar playing, etc. you're going to prove at least one of his points... your aresholes.

I did enjoy the look inside the unit without voiding my warranty ;) and he does seem to admit that regardless of the costs in manufacturing Fractal isn't any better or worse necessarily than Eventide, TC Electronic, etc. in cost/performance indexing. I for one know that we are paying for development, software, and proprietary secret sauce.

When I add the cost of a computer to a GOOD A/D interface like Focusrite, then buy Amplitube, work out impedance and instrument level settings, buy better reverb and delay VSTs (because Amplitube doesn't have that level) I am heading into the dollar range of these products and the amps won't sound or feel as good.

That's nice that you did that and went to the trouble. Great to hear he's a genial guy one on one through email.

I still do not have any respect for his opinion, experience or his videos. He makes good points in some, is wildly speculative in others and comes off as someone with more money than brains.

Take that for what it's worth, it's just my opinion. Folks that conduct themselves in the manner this man does get no respect from me. That might make me an asshole, but at least I am an asshole with integrity.

I'm not ripping on his playing or ripping on him personally. I just do not respect folks that do things like he does them. He's the guy that posted 'reviews' on his site of things that didn't exist at the time; he's the guy that bought a URL to make it look like he was officially sanctioned by Fractal when he clearly is not... right?

Sorry. I cannot excuse the actions of the man, nor give his 'opinions' any weight at all. I won't watch his videos and plan to never do so. Views = money. He's creating controversy so he can profit. My advice is to ignore him. Chuckle at him if you must, but ignore him.

Last edited:
That's nice that you did that and went to the trouble. Great to hear he's a genial guy one on one through email.

I still do not have any respect for his opinion, experience or his videos. He makes good points in some, is wildly speculative in others and comes off as someone with more money than brains.

Sorry. I cannot excuse the actions of the man, nor give his 'opinions' any weight at all. I won't watch his videos and plan to never do so. Views = money. He's creating controversy so he can profit. My advice is to ignore him. Chuckle at him if you must, but ignore him.

I totally agree with you Scott. Free speech is a wonderful thing but it would be nice if people claiming to give fair and balanced reviews would take the time to understand what they are showing and do it on a level playing field. It's fine to criticize his review, opinions, and demeanor.

I just don't like it when people on line make fun of others playing abilities or rag on them for being "old" or funny looking. You know, the personal stuff.

Cliff isn't a slouch player but I'm sure many on here are better but I would hope they wouldn't think he couldn't give an awesome review of a product because he wasn't a great player. The guy's review is either good or it isn't and his ability to play or not play needn't enter in to it.

And, if he doesn't play a lick but wants to collect fabulous piece of gear to noodle on that's his prerogative. I hate when people, particularly online, put forth an attitude that you should have to demonstrate some specific level of proficiency before you are allowed to buy a high end piece of kit. That's usually just young players jealous of the guy's stash of gear. I wish you had to demonstrate a certain level of compassion and intellect to have children or post in online forums but that's another story...

But yes, letting this thread die is probably the best homage to Tony and his unique perspective.

I love my Axe II and I'm not worried what anyone thinks.

Oh, almost forgot, what was he talking about when he said using Axe-Edit negatively impacts tone per something on the forum?? Is there an issue I an unaware of? Couldn't find it searching.

meh, internet. never paid much attention to reviews and certainly wouldn't get angsty over them.
however (imho)..
factual debunking of untruths > name calling and verbal abuse.

Oh, almost forgot, what was he talking about when he said using Axe-Edit negatively impacts tone per something on the forum?? Is there an issue I an unaware of? Couldn't find it searching.

Yeah, I wondered about this too while watching the video and then forgot to ask. I don't recall seeing anything on this, but would love to know if there is an issue with this as I plan to use Axe Edit extensively to begin with.

Cheers.

After seeing just that one video (Part 3), I for one cannot ever take seriously anything he says. You simply cannot take such a antagonistic/cavalier attitude towards a product and expect to actually be taken seriously as impartial, unbiased, or even knowledgeable.

I think that all that he accomplished was to completely destroy any credibility he might have had, and prove he probably has more money than brains, or at least common sense. Who knows, maybe he actually was drunk, but it seems amazing the rate at which people are willing to make fools of themselves on the 'net these days.

Yeah, I wondered about this too while watching the video and then forgot to ask. I don't recall seeing anything on this, but would love to know if there is an issue with this as I plan to use Axe Edit extensively to begin with.

Cheers.

No there isn't. It's more BS.

The guy is an ass... that knows nothing about engineering. The review is full of BS and talks like he knows everything. But the funny thing is that the only thing he knows, is how to plug the guitar cable into the Axe.
If he don't have any idea, nor wants to learn how the Axe works why make a review?

"... why make a review"?

Well, people who have failed as artists usually covertly stop other artists from making it. That's why a lot of failed artists go into music production or PR. So they can covertly get revenge on successful ones. I believe this falls in the same category.

...I just don't like it when people on line make fun of others playing abilities or rag on them for being "old" or funny looking. You know, the personal stuff.

Cliff isn't a slouch player but I'm sure many on here are better but I would hope they wouldn't think he couldn't give an awesome review of a product because he wasn't a great player. The guy's review is either good or it isn't and his ability to play or not play needn't enter in to it.

And, if he doesn't play a lick but wants to collect fabulous piece of gear to noodle on that's his prerogative. I hate when people, particularly online, put forth an attitude that you should have to demonstrate some specific level of proficiency before you are allowed to buy a high end piece of kit. That's usually just young players jealous of the guy's stash of gear. I wish you had to demonstrate a certain level of compassion and intellect to have children or post in online forums but that's another story...
I don't like making fun of people (actually I love to tease people all the time, but in a friendly way). I'm pretty good at it IMHO and enjoy making people laugh or just smile. I've always been like that and will always be like that. Everyone gets a friendly wave or a nice 'good morning'.

I don't think that being a monster player is a prerequisite to understanding good tone, doesn't preclude you from being able to make an informed (and even differing opinion) and it sure as heck shouldn't mean that you can't buy as much cool stuff as you can possibly own. The problem I have is that it's not cool when you fill up your room with gear and then go very much out of your way to make a 50 minute plus video that is being passed off as an informative review where you didn't bother to read the manual, make incorrect assumptions, don't know how to use it and then basically say "if you want the real thing then plug into one of these" and point to the amps. Of course plugging into the real amp is going to sound like the real amp. And this isn't even the AxeFXII here; I'm talking about his other reviews.

If you want to talk down to everyone in a video then you need to back it up with something that proves that you are above the crowd which I would think should be either knowledge or talent. Only thing that he displays is an ability to purchase stuff. I'm pretty good at it too if you want to know the truth. I just don't go around spreading misinformation because of some kind of personal agenda or to fill some kind of hole in my soul by putting others down.

And if he was the best player in the world I'd still consider him to be just as useless in regards to providing information that is reliable. There's plenty of great players that don't know anything about gear (heck probably a lot more of them than not). He doesn't even know how to pronounce convolution let alone know what it means.

i also think it's bullshit that this guy started a fractalaudio.co.uk website, like he's affiliated w/ the company.
im pretty sure that Fractal Audio can contact Nominet about the domain. He didn't just review the product, he is attacking it for some stupid reason... He can have it taken off him and I don't think it costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom