Interesting look at a guitar tone

There was a video some time ago, I think it was by Daryll Braun, but I can't be sure, where the YTer cut pieces off of a guitar body and took sonic clips playing the guitar through a wave analyzer in a DAW. Even with barely any wood on the body, the waves were almost the same. All of the vacillating we do over tone, LOL!

If you use a lot of distortion, as in with metal, the biggest change in your tone will come from the speaker or ir. Hell, it is probably the biggest impact on tone regardless.

Last edited:
There was a video some time ago, I think it was by Daryll Braun, but I can't be sure, where the YTer cut pieces off of a guitar body and took sonic clips playing the guitar through a wave analyzer in a DAW. Even with barely any wood on the body, the waves were almost the same. All of the vacillating we do over tone, LOL!
Yes, here's that video.

I think (based on his tonewood analysis in a separate vid) he'd respond that any perceived difference is negligible. Are you or anyone else really going to notice it unless you're specifically looking? Nope.

I hear clear differences between all of them. So I don't know if this test proves anything we didn't already know.
Obviously you can hear a difference, the objective is to point out the similarity is greater than expected. It’s 6 strings strung between two workbenches for god sakes…

I’m now thinking maybe your comment was in jest… 🤔

I hear clear differences between all of them. So I don't know if this test proves anything we didn't already know.

My take on this is that when I listen to music, I rarely hear just an isolated track of one instrument. This is also the same argument I use for something like the difference between a "real" amp and an amp in the Axe Fx. In a mix, I'm virtually certain that 99.9% would never know the difference.

Obviously you can hear a difference, the objective is to point out the similarity is greater than expected. It’s 6 strings strung between two workbenches for god sakes…

I’m now thinking maybe your comment was in jest… 🤔

My experience is that wood makes a difference, quite a noticeable one (as shown in the video). Both the plank and bench sounded really unusual. The plank was harsh, the bench was actually huge sounding, a bit piano like. Would turn to mush with any decent amount of distortion though.

The Anderson sounded the best, no contest IMHO.

My original point was that there is an important difference between different pieces of wood (or lack thereof). It's also always more noticeable in person when you're playing the thing, because then you can also feel it. How it vibrates, how it resonates, how it responds to your attack and playing.

I think people have a bit of an exaggerated expectation of how different different pieces of wood will sound on a recording. Same with pickups. My 2 cents anyway.

I guess in the 1st vid / last test there really is wood there - the workbench is the body wood.

Back
Top Bottom