Interesting gig injury.

Sidivan

Fractal Fanatic
I never noticed this issue before, but I apparently beat the piss out of my index fingernail of my picking hand when playing in my 90's cover band. I guess when I strum during some of the heavier grunge and punk stuff I must drag my nail across some of the strings or something. I just started noticing that my nail is taking on a strange shape like I filed it down on the bottom (when holding a pick). It's actually a little sore tonight.

I am guessing this happens towards the end of the evening when were really kicking it up, but I don't notice it while playing. Weird.

Anybody else have this issue? Or a similarly strange issue that cropped up unexpectedly?

Edit: I can't edit the title from tapatalk. After I hit post I realized that this is more strange than interesting and not really an injury so much as a bad technique.

I've had this on occasion as well. Never notice I'm hitting the strings during the gig, but definitely worn the right side. File it and usually back to normal in a few days.

I thought it was just me ;) I must catch it when playing - I've always put it down to my bad technique. It's never painful, just a nuisance.

I had that from about age 16 to about 25 or so. Then it went away. Maybe I just play guitar a bit less..?

Same here, If my nail is a little longer, i get a part of it where it's wore off. Guess this is some of the "tone is in the hands" thing.. along with how we mute, among other things.

Yeah, I have the same thing... ended up with bloody strings a few times because of it and even had the nail done in acrylic for a while because of this. Lately I've been filing it down shorter for bass playing and have had to alter my picking technique a little. I've been wondering what those who play bass and guitar do with their nails - I'm really not a fan of the added nail attack on bass...

I've been wondering what those who play bass and guitar do with their nails - I'm really not a fan of the added nail attack on bass...

I play bass and guitar and I keep my nails (especially index and middle on right hand) cut down just about as far as they can go. I have to trim them at least once a week. If they grow out I find that the nail occasionally hits the bass strings when I don't want it to. Not good. For some reason, I find that picking (on guitar) seems easier with my nails shorter too.

Yep. I've done the same thing. I play a lot of fingerstyle acoustic so I have to be aware not to pummel my index fingernail. I'm thinking about worker's comp. That would give me more time to play. :)

That happens to me at shows a lot. At our last show I didn't realize that I had cut it open, I wiped my face with my hand and smeared blood all over my face..........my guitar was covered in blood, it was a mess.

Yep, me too. I've even had the nail break instead of wear down, it was like a hangnail and was annoying as hell until it broke (tore) off...

I dunno how similar it is, but my first show on bass in a metal (tech metal) band where I actually used my fingers instead of using a pick, I somehow got a small metal sliver (from those stupid bass strings) stuck in my nail.. like a good 4mm in! Hurt like a mother for like 2 weeks until I realized what it was, and had to cut my nail super short and use plyers to pluck it out..

damn bass.. guitar is just too gentle in comparison.

Quite a few years ago in my earlier days of playing I actually stopped using a pick at all for a while, and was basically using that nail as a pick. Was actually how I figured out to do artificial harmonics, coz hitting the string at the right angle meant I'd be hitting it with the nail and then clipping it with the finger. I stopped when one day I noticed the powdery residue on my nail from where the strings were just wearing it thin. Figured it'd sort itself out over time, but over a decade later, the nail grows out normal on on side, and really thin on the other. Until recently I grew my nails out for finger picking, but couldn't grow the index finger one out because it'd just break way too easily. Which is sorta why I learned to hybrid pick. So I guess it sorta worked out nicely... :D

Tonight I was acutely aware of this and actually managed to avoid kicking the crap out of my fingernail. I really have to change my technique.

I've been dealing with the same problem for years. About 10 years ago I started going to a nail shop and having an acrylic nail applied. I have it re-done every month. Cost is $2.00.

I suffered from the same problem when I used the thumb/index finger style of picking exclusively. I examined Billy Gibbons, who uses .007's and NEVER breaks a string. He "lets the amp do the work". So I adopted a brush the strings approach to rhythm AND lead lines. Wow, what a difference. I now alternate between finger style for soft parts (20 %)+ thumb, index, and middle for rhythm and super arpeggio leads (60%) AND thumb/index finger style for leads with pinch harmonics (20%). I found that when I use this 3 finger style of picking where all 3 hold the pick equally, the index and middle fingers never touches the strings and this style of picking has made me hyper aware now of the index finger not being abused allowing me to develop a lighter touch. It took a couple of weeks of forcing myself to adopt the 3 styles together. Now I use all 3 seamlessly without thinking about it.

Last edited:
I've never had nail problems, but I have noticed that since I've been 16, my picking hands index finger is seemingly permanently bruised where it hits the strings..there is always a dark pink/purple spot where it hits the strings.

I've never had nail problems, but I have noticed that since I've been 16, my picking hands index finger is seemingly permanently bruised where it hits the strings..there is always a dark pink/purple spot where it hits the strings.

I have that spot too from Thursday night! We had an awesome crowd, so I kinda overdid it with the theatrics. Here's a pick from stage at 130am. View attachment 16227

Back
Top Bottom