Interesting Comparison Tests

sprint

Axe-Master
I enjoy the "Leo Gibson" youtube channel as I think his comparison tests are quite thorough and methodically done. Here's 2 vids comparing FM3 to real JCM800 and Vox AC (also comparing to budget modellers but I was most interested in the real amp comparisons).

Vox
Jcm

I enjoy the "Leo Gibson" youtube channel as I think his comparison tests are quite thorough and methodically done. Here's 2 vids comparing FM3 to real JCM800 and Vox AC (also comparing to budget modellers but I was most interested in the real amp comparisons).

Vox
Jcm
Checked the vox one. The FM3 was way off for whatever reason. More gain for a start and darker, but after some tweaking, it got pretty close

Checked the vox one. The FM3 was way off for whatever reason. More gain for a start and darker, but after some tweaking, it got pretty close
Yes - it shows how Axefx models do not necessarily, as we know, match knob positions to real amp counterparts - but with some tone stack adjustment, it matched. I was surprised though at the extent (bass, treble almost max'd). I guess the takeaway is to not be afraid to twist those knobs.

One of the worse comparisons I've seen. \nothing wrong with the FM3, there's something amiss with his chain. An AC30 TB doesn't sound that clean with channel volume at 3 o'clock.

Yes - it shows how Axefx models do not necessarily, as we know, match knob positions to real amp counterparts - but with some tone stack adjustment, it matched. I was surprised though at the extent (bass, treble almost max'd). I guess the takeaway is to not be afraid to twist those knobs.
No, it shows that the real amp used for the Axe-Fx models is very different than the amp used in the video. Vox's were all over the map.

Or he is doing something fundamentally wrong.

If I did the same video using our reference amp you would be amazed at the accuracy.

This is the problem with videos like this.

it shows how Axefx models do not necessarily, as we know, match knob positions to real amp counterparts - but with some tone stack adjustment, it matched.

That's not true. The controls in the models do match the real ones, within tolerance margins, except for Master and Presence/HiCut/Depth.

One of the worse comparisons I've seen. \nothing wrong with the FM3, there's something amiss with his chain. An AC30 TB doesn't sound that clean with channel volume at 3 o'clock.
Not saying there is anything wrong with the FM3, a bit of tweaking got them pretty close

That's not true. The controls in the models do match the real ones, within tolerance margins, except for Master and Presence/HiCut/Depth.

Didn't seem to match in that example but as mentioned above the real amps can vary a lot so that's the reason I guess

Yes, that's why there seems to be something wrong with his setup, or amp. Have you ever played a real AC30?
Never played one. But I get that the real amps differed a lot from one to the other and I never knew that Axefx modelling matches knob positions (missed that somehow). fyi - I did not post this as a criticism - it just seemed to be a more thorough and more carefully setup test than what I normally see, and the FM3 clearly matched his real amp.

Back
Top Bottom