Interesting Article Today From Reverb about Modelers

the Line 6, Fractal, and Atomic products use digital emulation of classic and modern tube amps, while the Kemper uses digital technology to profile stages within such amps, and the effects you use with them, to accurately reproduce their sound and feel.

I thought the Fractal was the only one modelling the complete amps whereas all others were wave modellers.

A wave modeller is a device where they send a signal through an amp and model what's coming out using algorithms.
Like the Kemper. A profiler, wave modeller...

The write up makes it sound like you are stuck using a modeler to please tour managers. I'm calling BS on that. I play AX8 because I prefer it to using a conventional amp. I play AX8 by choice, not because I am stuck with it as an alternative. Some people are slow on the take. Even writers for Reverb.

They should have talked to Phil Collen from Def Leppard.
I quote: "The [Axe-Fx] III has the best tone I've heard in 30 plus years of doing this."
I think the article was complimentary in an odd sort of way. I would prefer that they embrace the future and just say, "This thing is amazing".

Some of the facts were incorrect. 180+ Amp models and 750+ speaker simulations in the XL+? 29+ Drives in the XL+, not 37 Drives?

I could apply this statement to so many places on the interwebs. :D
While true, I'd bet a very large sum of money that if you gave any of the people talking down modelers the axe to play through and didn't tell them it was the axe they would never know the difference. Alternatively you could probably give them two tube amps and say one is a modeler and they'd find all kinds of fault in at least one, placebo and all :p

https://reverb.com/news/modeling-am...understanding-the-new-generation-of-tone-tech

Three Fractal Audio modelers are featured out of the five on the list.
The comments are somewhat silly. I mean you can take a great marshall and put a tube screamer in front of it and you don't have "pure" tube tone. Other than guys like George Benson...not many players use "pure" tone. Any box is "modeling" technology of the "time."
How many times do we have to hear EVH say...I don't use extra distortion..WELL actually he did even on VH1.
Time to get over it and move forward...Like YJM said...if its good...its good..

Die hard tube fanatics stuck listening to 70's and 80's music will never change. Onward and upward, stop chasing old sounds, make your own. I've heard tube rigs mic'd up that sound ghastly, literally unusable garbage, but it's tube... meh.

Die hard tube fanatics stuck listening to 70's and 80's music will never change. Onward and upward, stop chasing old sounds, make your own. I've heard tube rigs mic'd up that sound ghastly, literally unusable garbage, but it's tube... meh.

Hey now, I specially bought my III because how well it does at producing those classic 70’s amp models lol

I don’t use an amp model that came out after 1985!

There are artist with unique modern tones I like such as Muse, St. Vincent etc, but I’m happy to play in madison square bedroom, wearing my kakhi pants, and chasing the tones of Jimi, SRV et al til the end of my geezer rock days

Most internet sites are just going through the motions in an effort to create content to attract hits. 90% of it is pure garbage. This article included in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom