intelligent harmony and half step down tuning

REDD

Fractal Fanatic
I may be showing my lack of knowledge here but when choosing a key on the harmonizer does it detect my pitch or just play to my notes? With an octave it just plays off my notes but with the intelligent harmonizer do I need to pick D# when I'm tuned down a half step and playing in E position or will it just play a fifth or seventh or whatever harmony from my note? Can I just pick E minor even though I'm down one half step? Thanks in advance and sorry for my ignorance.

Set it to the key you are actually playing in. For example, major scale rooted on 6th string 3rd fret is G Major in standard tuning, but if you are tuned down half step, you are actually playing in Gb/F# Major so you would use Gb/F# Major as your key setting.

Tuning alone does not determine the key. What scale shape and position are you playing in? or to put it another way, what chords are you playing over?

Tuning alone does not determine the key. What scale shape and position are you playing in? or to put it another way, what chords are you playing over?

Lol no idea what chords they are! Haha....i only know chord shapes in standard tuning....when i play in alt tunings its all by experimentation and ear. I have no idea what im playing from a theory standpoint, i just play what sounds good to me.

We can help. Use the axe tuner to tell you what notes you're using for the single note stuff. Post them here and we can tell you ehat scale/key you're in

Lol no idea what chords they are! Haha....i only know chord shapes in standard tuning....when i play in alt tunings its all by experimentation and ear. I have no idea what im playing from a theory standpoint, i just play what sounds good to me.

I'm not bashing you at all my man but, it would be in your best interest to at the very least learn what chords you are playing. You should really look up YouTube either beghinner guitar lessons or search out a lesson for a song you already play so you can learn the basic chords your using. I'm not even talking about 9th chords or anything advanced but just knowing what a G chord is or Em. Etc Etc

I'm not bashing you at all my man but, it would be in your best interest to at the very least learn what chords you are playing. You should really look up YouTube either beghinner guitar lessons or search out a lesson for a song you already play so you can learn the basic chords your using. I'm not even talking about 9th chords or anything advanced but just knowing what a G chord is or Em. Etc Etc

No worries! I usually write in 3 tunings.....E standard, open C and C#G#C#G#C#C#....whatever that tuning is, i just stumbled on it one day.

In standard i know the chord shapes, names and scale shapes. Ive been playing guitar for 17 years and took lessons for the first couple of years. Ive just never been interested in theory. Yes, it does hold me back, but i get by and i can play the type of stuff i like to play. I never really liked learning other peoples songs either, i like to experiment and write my own. Communicating what i have written to other musos can be hard without the theory but usually if i show them what im playing they pick it up and figure it out. I am writing a lot in alternate tunings these days and thats where its all by ear. I have no idea what chords im playing.....i just know where to put my fingers to play chords that sound good. How do i know what to play if i dont know theory? No idea, it just happens.

No worries! I usually write in 3 tunings.....E standard, open C and C#G#C#G#C#C#....whatever that tuning is, i just stumbled on it one day.

In standard i know the chord shapes, names and scale shapes. Ive been playing guitar for 17 years and took lessons for the first couple of years. Ive just never been interested in theory. Yes, it does hold me back, but i get by and i can play the type of stuff i like to play. I never really liked learning other peoples songs either, i like to experiment and write my own. Communicating what i have written to other musos can be hard without the theory but usually if i show them what im playing they pick it up and figure it out. I am writing a lot in alternate tunings these days and thats where its all by ear. I have no idea what chords im playing.....i just know where to put my fingers to play chords that sound good. How do i know what to play if i dont know theory? No idea, it just happens.

Ohhhhh okay see I miss read you I think. The way your post read it seemed like you didn't even know what E or Am was.

Yup, this is just how Larry Mitchell explained it to me when I was talking with him about it. He took the time to show me how to set it up and explain that it is based on the scale and key you play in. Since I know very little about theory, he gave me some pointers on the basics and where to start with chords and breaking them down as well as scales, modes, keys, etc. So I broke out my scales and modes book and looked up the scales and keys I normally play in. That really helped get me going on setting up the pitch block for harmony. Makes sense now lol. Before he explained to me how it worked, the harmony sounded so effed up that I gave up on using it and figuring out how to set it up! :lol

Edit: I also play tuned to Eb (standard tuning down a half step). So keep in mind to set the harmony to compensate for the different tuning.

Back
Top Bottom