Integrating Digitech Whammy DT

FarleyUK

Inspired
I've recently purchased a DigiTech Whammy DT, as I'm not fully happy with the capo and drop tune abilities in the AFX; plus, having played with Eric Gales recently, and played through his setup, I was GAS'ing for one ;)

I'm just curious about the suggested way to configure it all; we play in E standard tuning, but a few tunes will be dropped to Eb tuning, so I'll use the Whammy for it. We also play a couple of tunes where a whammy bar is needed - and playing a Les Paul, I don't have one - so I've normally been using a pitch block mapped to a spring loaded expression pedal, which works well. However, I'm wondering if it's easier to just use the Whammy for these, and if so, is MIDI or a manual approach better.

I've got out 4 L going to the Whammy DT input, and the out of the Whammy coming back to In 4 L via TRS cables. My preset looks like the image below.
I've also connected Midi.... but not sure if that's overcomplicating things, as every preset would need the MIDI block in it, with the PC set to turn everything off in the whammy, unless needed (to help ensure it isn't 'stuck' in a detune mode for example). I know I could also use a dedicated footswitch on the FC12 to just disable Input 4 to cancel out the whammy.

I'm curious how others have it configured.... do you have MIDI in use, or do you just engage it direct on the Whammy as needed...? Is there any major advantage to one over the other? I'd also be using it with the FM9 in the same manner.

1674818227982.png

I use a Whammy DT as well. I plug the guitar directly into the Whammy DT, then from there into input 1 of the AFXIII. That way I'm not running a bunch of extra feet of cables. Digitech suggests putting the Whammy DT first in the chain so it gets a more pure signal (I don't know how much difference that actually makes) Also, I don't bother with midi on the pedal. I just control it directly from the pedal.

I use a Whammy DT as well. I plug the guitar directly into the Whammy DT, then from there into input 1 of the AFXIII. That way I'm not running a bunch of extra feet of cables. Digitech suggests putting the Whammy DT first in the chain so it gets a more pure signal (I don't know how much difference that actually makes) Also, I don't bother with midi on the pedal. I just control it directly from the pedal.

Cheers!

One thing I forgot to mention is that I use wireless; so I'd still need the two TRS cables anyway (unless I hide the Whammy in the back of the rack and use MIDI to control it).

I would do this too.

Cheers!

One thing I forgot to mention is that I use wireless; so I'd still need the two TRS cables anyway (unless I hide the Whammy in the back of the rack and use MIDI to control it).

I run wireless too, so my Whammy is stuffed in the rack and controlled via midi. I don't really use the whammy side anyway. It goes out 4 and in 4 with a compressor block in front.

Back
Top Bottom