Implemented Integrated Noise Reduction

Jono Bacon

Inspired
I kicked off this thread about noise issues that I have had with my guitar. Initially I thought it could be an issue with the Axe FX III but it turned out to be EMI interference.

It seems many people suffer these kinds of issues, and some people have used a Rocktron Hush to rectify this will pretty solid results.

I considered whether this could be emulated in software and @Rex pointed to @FractalAudio saying the following in this post:

> You can create your own noise reducer by putting an envelope controlled lowpass filter at the start of the chain. That's basically what the Hush and other noise reduction systems do (in addition to gating).

Given how prevelant these problems seem to affect users, I think it could be really valuable to have this kind of noise reduction integrated into the Input block in a future firmware update.

Ideally this could operate in a similar way to the Hush with a threshold control so people can tune it to their needs. I wonder if this would make sense to include near where the gate controls are on this block.

Thoughts?

How about adding what Hush 2X seems to do (or ISP Decimator G-string II or EHX Silencer or Boss NS-2) which is; measure the signal at input but apply the gate later in the chain e.g. after drive/amp/cab/etc. but before delay/reverb/etc.?

Sidechain input seems to be exactly what I was looking for!
I don't think it's available on AX8.

Thanks!

- lenny

I need to try this as well. Seems things are a LOT nosier compared to my Axe II with the same guitars in the exact same recording environment.

Sorta scared to try my single coils yet....

I need to try this as well. Seems things are a LOT nosier compared to my Axe II with the same guitars in the exact same recording environment.

Sorta scared to try my single coils yet....

Something is not right. The III should be no noisier. Try the rear input. Perhaps there's a bad ground on the front panel input.

The Intelligent mode of the gate is more than just a gate, it includes noise reduction.

Would you (or someone else) mind explaining this a little further?

From my experience with the gate it doesn't seem to have much of an impact in reducing EMI noise and fizz behind my playing. Maybe I am doing it wrong though.

Would you (or someone else) mind explaining this a little further?

From my experience with the gate it doesn't seem to have much of an impact in reducing EMI noise and fizz behind my playing. Maybe I am doing it wrong though.
Agreed... I did not even know about the side chain mode, though... I have just been using the input 1's intrinsic gate in intelligent mode. With that I have hiss as the note decays which I would like to address the gate does not cut this but I always assumed that was because it was just a gate and the overall signal is above the gate threshold which all makes sense... I have always used the envelope controlled LPF discussed in the other thread because I assumed the gate was just a gate... The LPF does work but it could be better. :)

I am going to try that side-chain mode before any further comment, though; maybe the answer was always under my nose...

Thanks for replying Cliff.

tenor.gif

Agreed... I did not even know about the side chain mode, though... I have just been using the input 1's intrinsic gate in intelligent mode. With that I have hiss as the note decays which I would like to address the gate does not cut this but I always assumed that was because it was just a gate and the overall signal is above the gate threshold which all makes sense... I have always used the envelope controlled LPF discussed in the other thread because I assumed the gate was just a gate... The LPF does work but it could be better. :)

I am going to try that side-chain mode before any further comment, though; maybe the answer was always under my nose...

Thanks for replying Cliff.

Here's more info about how to use a Noise Gate aka Expander. They explain how to reduce noise, add dynamics and how to use and setup a Side Chain Gate.

* Wiki Gate/Expander block: http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Gate/Expander_block
** More information: http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Gate/Expander_block#More_information

* Here's a Tip for anybody who wants more dynamics and pick attack: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...ho-wants-more-dynamics-and-pick-attack.49252/

* Different ways to use a noise gate: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/i-love-hate-noise-gates-youtube-video.116883/#post-1395772

* Example Settings and Axe-Fx II Preset: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/i-love-hate-noise-gates-youtube-video.116883/#post-1402834

That's my number one annoyance with the AX8, if the AXE FX III is doing a great job about this I buy it, if not I'll wait till people grow up.

I have been doing that for years, isolating the noise and using the record device FX to remove it from a record, that's post production and that's annoying to do, removing any pick or finger attack, hum and buzz when necessary :

The noisegate is doing a great job for the hum when I don't play, but as soon as I hit a note, boom in the background... I only play single coil, hum, buzz, pick attack, with an headphone, you ear them directly and that's annoying. With a real tube amp I barely notice them...

Why can't we isolate the noise? I've been wondering that for a while now, you have a looper, you can record something with an AX8, why can't we record the noise for some seconds and say "hey AXE FX III, remove this particular noise when I play" the pick and fingers attack are really hard to isolate without a note... but that seems so simple in theory... the AXE FX III can do that yet ? my money is ready but only if that's done and if I see a demonstration, or I will wait for the AXE FX IX or what ever. I go back lurking...

Does that method work for live guitar playing through the filter you made?

Hi,
I've got the same issue - I have been waiting to see if anyone else reported it as I've been managing with the gates etc. I took my ii out of the rack, installed the iii, and plugged the same leads into the same places. Result was that I was getting much more noise (mainly from dimmers and induced 50hz) than I perceived on a 'comparable' preset with the axe fx ii. So - I got the dimmers replaced, replaced all the led lights - same result. In the mean time I tried other leads, different guitars and basses (which of course changes it but doesn't eliminate it).
In the end, I just put up with it as the unit itself is quiet - it just (for some reason) seems to be more succeptible to noise coming from the guitar.
I was intrigued by the comment 'bad earth or something' on the front input - if this is something you have seen, and it has a known fix for a handy type, please tell.
Thanks
Pauly

Something is not right. The III should be no noisier. Try the rear input. Perhaps there's a bad ground on the front panel input.

Last edited:
So I record myself and FX out any annoying noise and, they are gone.

That's not "my filter", people in studios have been doing that for ages, that's only post production after a record.
I have been doing that for years, isolating the noise and using the record device FX to remove it from a record, that's post production
I didn’t mean that video was you specifically. You said you do this, so I asked if you ever tried doing this to a live signal.

but that seems so simple in theory... the AXE FX III can do that yet ? my money is ready but only if that's done and if I see a demonstration, or I will wait for the AXE FX IX or what ever.

For live situation, you'll have to play with the place the mics that take your sound are, and nowadays they have to be close to the speakers at different specific places... so... nope... maybe there is a way but I don't know it yet.
It seems so simple, and the current gear can’t do it.... but you then say that the method that you suggest won’t work?

So everybody doing preset in the world is connecting something in a wrong way and you blame the integrality of your community instead of taking the bull by the horns.

Anyway I gave you an idea of solution, do what ever you want with it but I keep my fortune away espacially when you don't even know who you blame for really bad reasons, just do your moderator thing and noisegate me away if you are annoyed I don't care at all, just say to your boss to do a better job with noise reduction, the complains are all over the net, time to open your eyes maybe...
You gave an idea, said it’s very simple, then later say you don’t know if that idea will work... all the while being very confrontational on your third post here.

That’s not the best way to suggest something. If there’s anything here that’s making you lurk and not participate, it’s your attitude and approach to communication, not anything else.

I’m out of this one too.

Posts removed, including my own. Let's keep it on-topic.

Back
Top Bottom