Instrument Input Pad

Akstrat

Experienced
Just wondering about my setting for the Instrument Input Pad? It seems if I move higher than zero, I introduce some clipping noise? I'm playing a CS Historic Les Paul most of time. What are some of the reasons for turning this up or down? Just trying to understand this setting.

Thanks in advance!

The best setting is relative to the output of your pickups and playing style. This is, hotter pups and harder playing = lower settings (or vice versa).

Set to achieve the best possible signal-to-noise ratio and amp response without clipping the input. Ideally, you just want to tickle the red.

Just to clarify. A pad setting of 0 has highest chance of clipping. As you increase the pad setting, the input level is reduced before hitting the A/D converter. The level is boosted in the digital domain before entering the grid to compensate for the gain reduction induced by the pad.

So to reduce clipping, you must increase the pad setting. I play with PAF style humbuckers, and with a pad setting of 6, I tickle the reds every one in a while

So to reduce clipping, you must increase the pad setting. I play with PAF style humbuckers, and with a pad setting of 6, I tickle the reds every one in a while

It seems to me that if I get close to the "Tickle" area, I introduce clipping that is noticeable? That is why I have move it to zero??

One helpful thing to do is play while in the tuner mode and watch the input meter there to see what level you're giving. Adjust accordingly.

Zero has the largest chance of clipping
Now I'm really confused as to where I'm getting the clipping from??

Any chance someone could help me by listing the places where clipping could be introduced? I'll check them once I know where?

The clipping occurs in the input or output? maybe you have the level to high. you could check the VU meter.

If the input is clipping you should use the input pad.

the input pad, will turn down your signal, coming form the guitar, at the input of the AX8, if you put a pad of 12, you will have turn down the inputs of the device by 12db.

if you leave it to zero, you will go full power in.
if you hear strange noise, make sure your are not tricked by the Input Noise Gate.

The higher the number the more you are padding the signal, so you can't go from zero to 6dB and start clipping as you are padding the input signal, not boosting.

I understand the VU meter.

Could someone explain this one to me?
"make sure your are not tricked by the Input Noise Gate."

Just found this in another thread and just might be what I have been battling!!

"I know a lot of jazzers are using the AX-8 so it must be capable of producing good clean sounds.

My own experience was that I was surprised how much distortion some amp models made like Vox, Morgan, Bad Cat, Matchless etc. With non master volume amps you might be getting full volume at 3.5, from then on it starts to add compression. This is what you might try.

1) turn the input level down. That way your guitar signal isn't slamming the front end of the amp. Input level on 5 like the low input on a Fender amp.

2) On non master volume amps the master volume defaults to 10. Turn it down. You can't do that on a real non master volume amp but you can in the virtual world.

3) turn down the out level so it's not clipping. You'll notice the LED's bouncing into the red zone.

For me that did the trick.

I build my virtual rig exactly like I did in the analog world which was to start with the best clean tone I could find. OD in the front. delay and reverb in the back. So I default to a great clean sound to begin with and use either drive blocks to get my OD or I X/Y to either the same amp dimed or another amp for the OD tones."

"make sure your are not tricked by the Input Noise Gate."

if you use lower then usual input level, rolled off volume, input pad, the input gate can make strange noise that may be confuse with distortion, fuzzy noise. make sure the gate is totally off when playing around with volume and pad.

Back
Top Bottom