Instrument Input Level question

wire_twerp

Inspired
Hi there
Just setting up my Axe FX instrument input with my recent acquisition of a USA PRS Tremonti signature.

The instrument level is around 10% on the bridge pickup (which I know is hot) - above that and I get a lot of red lights.

Is this low level OK? My Collings CL and 290 need a level of around 25% for the same level of clipping (tickling the red).

Hi there
Just setting up my Axe FX instrument input with my recent acquisition of a USA PRS Tremonti signature.

The instrument level is around 10% on the bridge pickup (which I know is hot) - above that and I get a lot of red lights.

Is this low level OK? My Collings CL and 290 need a level of around 25% for the same level of clipping (tickling the red).
Yeah, just set it to the guitar. If you're going to be switching guitars a lot (i.e. within a gig), just calibrate it to the hottest guitar. Don't overthink it, just tickle those reds. :)

Different guitars have different output levels. You should set your input level to "just tickle the red" not really light them up. If you need to use different guitars with the same preset and some of the guitars really slam the input level, you can save the preset and adjust the input for different guitars. Just call up the appropriate preset for the guitar you are using and you are good to go.

Do not turn down Input A/D Level all the way. Keep a safe margin, i.e. above 10%. Because VERY low values may impact gain and to tone.

I still think that "Just tickle the reds" is a silly design choice.
Reds should mean Clipping.
It's very deceiving.
I bring the axe to rehearsals, for the guitarist to play through. And he did say "Hey it's clipping".
And I was like... no, it isn't. Red means -6db
He asked "why?", and I had no way to answer that question. I don't know. It's just how it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suppose it is just a built in safety feature and early warning system to alert you to the risk of clipping before it happens.

I suppose it is just a built in safety feature and early warning system to alert you to the risk of clipping before it happens.

Exactly. It’s a rather clever and sensible design.

Do not turn down Input A/D Level all the way. Keep a safe margin, i.e. above 10%. Because VERY low values may impact gain and to tone.

Might be hijacking a bit, but this triggered my own question. My hottest guitar usually needs to be around 8% to tickle the red. Would you recommend padding and increasing the value here?

The wiki says 5% is that low threshold you don’t want to go below, but I’m curious to know what the best course of action would be here. Thanks!

Might be hijacking a bit, but this triggered my own question. My hottest guitar usually needs to be around 8% to tickle the red. Would you recommend padding and increasing the value here?

The wiki says 5% is that low threshold you don’t want to go below, but I’m curious to know what the best course of action would be here. Thanks!
Take that 8% level and increase it. Do you hear a change in tone? If not, then go back to 8% and be done.

Back
Top Bottom