Instrument input 1 or in 2

simonp54

Experienced
i use a g75 line6 wireless unit that lives on my pedal board. I connected it to my Axefx II XL using the xlr out and a TRS jack input so that noise (if any) across the stage wouldn’t affect my source signal. Worked great. I notice the rear input 1 for AXEFXIII is TS. I’m keen to use that, because of the easy auto override front panel input feature for use when I’m not using the wireless. I’m assuming that I “must” provide an unbalanced TS connection to that input and that a TRS would be “wrong”. (Yes I read the manual pages on this just looking for clarification). Also on a run of about 5m do you think the input noise I’m trying to make sure I never get would be a problem?

We’d connect a guitar using a normal 1/4” TS cable from the front of the stage to the back. So I’d just do that.

I’m pretty sure that XLR and TRS cables don’t create a balanced connection if the jack you plug into isn’t balanced.

To get the benefits of a balanced connection, both pieces of equipment being connected must have balanced connectors (TRS, XLR, etc) and both pieces of equipment must support balanced connections.

In Balanced connections transmitting components send the signal (+) on the tip and a polarity inverse (-) copy of the signal on ring. By summing the + and - within the recieving component, the noise can be eliminated leaving the original signal minus any inducted noise that was picked up by the cable acting as a EMF antennae (10 + -10 == 0). The point: if both components are not balanced and connected with balanced cabling, you do not get this noise cancellation.

Additionally, I believe that TRS cables due to their twisted pair wires coupled with a polarity inverted signal makes the cable more resistant to inducting EMF noise. In other words, it is my understanding that the twisted pairs minus the polarity inverted signal would offer no resistance to inducted EMF noise. I am not 100% sure on this particular paragraph. There is contradictory information on the web, but if it is correct this would indicate that if the sending component is not balanced (sending a polarity inverse copy of the signal on sleeve) you would not get EMF induction resistance.

The short of it is this: a balanced out on the G75 to input 1 you may provide some EMF induction resistance but the connection will offer no noise cancellation because Input 1 is unbalanced and therefore the connection is unbalanced

You could use G75 to Input 2 on the Axe III (XLR -> XLR) to get a balanced connection.

Last edited:
To get the benefits of a balanced connection, both pieces of equipment being connected must have balanced connectors (TRS, XLR, etc) and both pieces of equipment must support balanced connections.

In Balanced connections transmitting components send the signal (+) on the tip and a polarity inverse (-) copy of the signal on sleeve. By summing the + and - within the recieving component, the noise can be eliminated leaving the original signal minus any inducted noise that was picked up by the cable acting as a EMF antennae (10 + -10 == 0). The point: if both components are not balanced and connected with balanced cabling, you do not get this noise cancellation.

Additionally, I believe that TRS cables due to their twisted pair wires coupled with a polarity inverted signal makes the cable more resistant to inducting EMF noise. In other words, it is my understanding that the twisted pairs minus the polarity inverted signal would offer no resistance to inducted EMF noise. I am not 100% sure on this particular paragraph. There is contradictory information on the web, but if it is correct this would indicate that if the sending component is not balanced (sending a polarity inverse copy of the signal on sleeve) you would not get EMF induction resistance.

The short of it is this: a balanced out on the G75 to input 1 you may provide some EMF induction resistance but the connection will offer no noise cancellation because Input 1 is unbalanced and therefore the connection is unbalanced

You could use G75 to Input 2 on the Axe III (XLR -> XLR) to get a balanced connection.
Thanks (I did know most of that) I suppose my real question was whether the rear Input1 connection is balanced (and what i mean by that is "behind the scenes and not disclosed as a feature"), obviously it isn't. I'll just modify my G75 cabling.

Thanks (I did know most of that) I suppose my real question was whether the rear Input1 connection is balanced (and what i mean by that is "behind the scenes and not disclosed as a feature"), obviously it isn't. I'll just modify my G75 cabling.
Input 1 is unbalanced, Input 2 is balanced.

Input 2 on the Axe III supports both XLR and TRS connectors. If you have an XLR to TRS that would work with Input 2.

Input 1 is unbalanced, Input 2 is balanced.

Input 2 on the Axe III supports both XLR and TRS connectors. If you have an XLR to TRS that would work with Input 2.
Yeah, you're right... but then i wouldn't be able to just "plug in the front" and go... which i may do at home/rehearsal or whatever... I'm gonna use the TS approach.

Yeah, you're right... but then i wouldn't be able to just "plug in the front" and go... which i may do at home/rehearsal or whatever... I'm gonna use the TS approach.
I see. Yeah if you want to connect to the front that would make Input 2 less convenient

Back
Top Bottom