Instructions for using MFC-101 as MIDI controller for Axe-Fx III

rllw

Just got my AXE III today, and it's amazing. Regarding the MFC-101 Mark 3 interaction, as said in other threads, it functions great as a general midi controller. The MIDI implementation is very flexible on the AXE III, huge improvements over the AXE XL+. It was very easy to program the AXE III to learn my existing MIDI setup. Very very cool! If you're not comfortable with MIDI, it's not difficult, check out the MFC manual.

A. General Setup
1. Disable AXE mode on MFC by following instructions on page 12 of MFC manual.
2. Unplug Faslink
3. Setup MIDI port on MFC by following instructions on page 13 of MFC manual. "Use Port MIDI"
4. Plug in MIDI Out of MFC to MIDI In of AXE III
5. Plug in the power to your MFC101

B. MIDI Programming of I/A Switches already setup with MIDI commands
1. I previously controlled several XL+ paramaters via midi with my MFC. Therefore it was very easy to setup the III to learn.
2. If you have NOT previously setup your MFC to use MIDI commands, follow the instructions on page 24 of the MFC manual.
3. To learn already existing MIDI functions on the AXE III, do the following
a. Click Setup on the AXE III
b. Go to the MIDI setup menu
c. Hit page twice to get to the "bypass" menu
d. Scroll down to the AXE function you wish to control
e. Press "Enter" to get the AXE into "learning" mode
f. Press the MFC I/A switch
g. The AXE III "learns" the MIDI command and will associate it to bypass that switch.
h. Repeat.​

C. To Setup the AXE III to respond to MIDI Program Control messages:
1. Go to page 154 of AXE Manual
2. Follow instructions to turn "Program Change" ON

D. To Setup Scene Increment/Decrement
1. Follow the instructions on page 24/25 of the MFC manual to setup 2 I/A switches with MIDI commands. I used 123/124 because that was the default for XL+. Setup Switch Control Change Messages as "IA10 c1 CC#123 Ch01" and "IA05 c1 CC#124 Ch01"
2. Follow the insturctions on page 56 of the MFC manual to change the IA Switch Control Change ON/OFF Values. I used I/A 10 as follows: "IA10 c1 off127 onOFF" and IA05 c1 off127 onOFF".
3. Follow the insturctions on page 65 of the MFC manual to change the IA Switch Types to "Momentary".
4. Follow the isntructions above (B) to setup the AXE III to respond to the programmed I/A switches by MIDI.
5. The above can be used to switch channels as well.

E. For direct scene select, you would have to set the value to the appropriate scene.

To access Scene 1 from I/A switch 9 setup the following (assuming AXE on midi channel 1):

1. Setup the Scene select MIDI on the AXE III
a. Setup
b. MIDI Remote
c. Page over "Other"
d. Setup a CC number for "Scene Select". In this example, let's use 99.​

2. On the MFC Setup the I/A Switch MIDI CC
a. Check out page 55 of the MFC Manual 12.4.8 IA Switch Control Change (CC#) Settings
b. IA09 c1 CC#99 Ch01
c. Note c1 above means "command 1", which we need to setup next​

3. Setup the MIDI command/Value to send with the I/A switch
a. Check out 12.4.9 IA Switch Control Change ON/OFF Values of the MFC manual
b. IA09 c1 Off Off On00
c. Note: the On00 above should correspond to the scene you wish to access (see table below).​

4. Repeat for each I/A switch you wish to assign, changing the IA switch nubmer and scene Value as appropriate.

CC Values, Scenes.
0 = Scene 1
1 = Scene 2
2 = Scene 3
3 = Scene 4
4 = Scene 5
5 = Scene 6
6 = Scene 7
7 = Scene 8​

5. Change the switch type to "Momentary":
a. Check out page 65 of the MFC manual 12.5.10 IA Switch Types
b. EDIT : SETUP : PAGE" (10x)
c. IASw 09 Type MOM
6. Link all of the IA switches that you used for direct scene selection
a. Check out page 66 of the MFC manual 12.5.14 IA Switch Link Setting

Another great resource from Morphosis: https://www.cabir.eu/de/content/13-mfc101-for-axefx3

Last edited:
The whole conversion took me about 15 mins, not a long time. I would guess they're focusing on the FC6/12 development moving forward. Post was meant to be an FYI on what I did to get mine working.

Also, I am having one issue: When I configure the MFC to send PC messages, it seems like a loop occurs between the MFC and AXE III.

I tried enableing "Ignore redundant PC messages" but it didnt seem to matter.

Any thoughts?

I would almost think Cliff will make firmware for the MFC to work with the Axe 3 without all that fuss when he has a chance to breathe.
Maybe not. the fc pedal will be a plug and play, why spend time and resources on an old midi controller.

The whole conversion took me about 15 mins, not a long time. I would guess they're focusing on the FC6/12 development moving forward. Post was meant to be an FYI on what I did to get mine working.

Also, I am having one issue: When I configure the MFC to send PC messages, it seems like a loop occurs between the MFC and AXE III.

I tried enableing "Ignore redundant PC messages" but it didnt seem to matter.

Any thoughts?
Can you elaborate? Are you using both midi in and out on the MFC or just the out?

Using both midi out and midi in.

My midi setup is:

MFC midi out—>Axe midi in—-Axe midi out—>MFC midi In

I would like to have the mfc send PC to the Axe buy prsssing PC up, but also have the mfc receive PC when I rotate the knob on the Axe.

I have the mfc and axe setup to recieve PC. When I setup the AXE to send PC, there is a midi issue as changing a program causes the axe to constantly changes presets.

Using both midi out and midi in.

My midi setup is:

MFC midi out—>Axe midi in—-Axe midi out—>MFC midi In

I would like to have the mfc send PC to the Axe buy prsssing PC up, but also have the mfc receive PC when I rotate the knob on the Axe.

I have the mfc and axe setup to recieve PC. When I setup the AXE to send PC, there is a midi issue as changing a program causes the axe to constantly changes presets.
Pretty sure someone from Fractal said "don't do that" ;)

MFC midi out to Axe Fx III midi in.

The MFC does not speak Axe Fx III.

Thanks for the info. Would you point me to the reference? Everything midi works great with the axe iii and mfc except this one item.

No means to hijack the thread but is there anyway that someone can do a short tutorial like this to setup the axe3 for frfr setup out of the box for us newbies? I know there’s not many settings to change but to have a tutorial would be excellent. I’ve been trying to collect all the info posted in the last few months but now it’s so scattered. Much appreciated!

No means to hijack the thread but is there anyway that someone can do a short tutorial like this to setup the axe3 for frfr setup out of the box for us newbies? I know there’s not many settings to change but to have a tutorial would be excellent. I’ve been trying to collect all the info posted in the last few months but now it’s so scattered. Much appreciated!
Plug output 1 into your powered FRFR or power amp. Done.

The Axe Fx is ready for FRFR out of the box.

Do you guys know how to setup the MFC to change presets on the Axe Fx III? Every time I press IA 1 it goes to preset 1 and then jumps to preset 2.

What IA are you using? My PC worked default. Sounds almost like a IA switch setting where it is not set to momentary. I had an issue like this with scene changing but not PC.

Back
Top Bottom