Instead of Using an A/B Box, Can I Do This Instead....

Josh O

I've been thinking about getting a quality AB/Y box and running my Bogner Duende dry in channel A and my Axe/QSC GX3/Mesa 2x12 setup in channel B and using either or combining both. But after some thinking I was wondering if I could do it all in the Axe, i.e. setting up two paths:

1. one would have maybe the wah block and drive block to output 1 to input of the Bogner amp

2. the other path would be say a typical preset I would use with my QSC power amp linked to output 2 and then on to the QSC

Would this work? Could I set my GC Pro up to toggle between the two paths or combine both like a virtual AB/Y box?

Man, what a killer idea. You could also route your effects through the Bogner, or run patches in stereo. I hope it works, I can't wait to hear about the results.

Josh O said:
I've been thinking about getting a quality AB/Y box and running my Bogner Duende dry in channel A and my Axe/QSC GX3/Mesa 2x12 setup in channel B and using either or combining both. But after some thinking I was wondering if I could do it all in the Axe, i.e. setting up two paths:

1. one would have maybe the wah block and drive block to output 1 to input of the Bogner amp

2. the other path would be say a typical preset I would use with my QSC power amp linked to output 2 and then on to the QSC

Would this work? Could I set my GC Pro up to toggle between the two paths or combine both like a virtual AB/Y box?

Yes, if you went output 1 the QSC you would be able to take advantage of the balanced signal w/ it.

You really don't have to set up 2 paths if you don't want to. You could just make them separate presets

Here's how far I got: I realized, unless I'm doing something wrong, that you can't specifically assign one chain to output 1 and a separate chain to output 2. Like I said, if I blew it here, please let me know.

What I did do was go into I/O and copy output 1 to output 2. I then ran output 1 to my QSC power amp/Mesa 2x12 and ran output 2 to the Bogner Duende. I grabbed a preset I normally would use with the QSC which has effects before and after the Amp block, inserted an FX block right before the Amp block so that only the wah, phaser and drive blocks would go to the Bogner. This all worked great, I had both the Bogner and QSC going at the same time and bypassing the FX loop would kill the signal to the Bogner. Unfortunately the output to the QSC is always on so I can't shut it off and run just the Bogner without having to physcially dial out the Output 1 volume on the Axe. Also, in this hookup method, if I were to use the wah, it would come through on both Output 1 and Output 2 signals, don't really want that either.

It's a work in progress for sure..........any ideas I should be trying?

Josh O said:
Here's how far I got: I realized, unless I'm doing something wrong, that you can't specifically assign one chain to output 1 and a separate chain to output 2. Like I said, if I blew it here, please let me know.

What I did do was go into I/O and copy output 1 to output 2. I then ran output 1 to my QSC power amp/Mesa 2x12 and ran output 2 to the Bogner Duende. I grabbed a preset I normally would use with the QSC which has effects before and after the Amp block, inserted an FX block right before the Amp block so that only the wah, phaser and drive blocks would go to the Bogner. This all worked great, I had both the Bogner and QSC going at the same time and bypassing the FX loop would kill the signal to the Bogner. Unfortunately the output to the QSC is always on so I can't shut it off and run just the Bogner without having to physcially dial out the Output 1 volume on the Axe. Also, in this hookup method, if I were to use the wah, it would come through on both Output 1 and Output 2 signals, don't really want that either.

It's a work in progress for sure..........any ideas I should be trying?

You can not use the copy 1 to 2 and effects loop this way. That just copies what ever is coming out of ouput 1 and echos it out of output 2 as well.

You need to put a virtual A/B switch in the chain. I'll post an example w/ a picture from Axe-edit.

Josh O said:
Yes, you blew it ;-)

You *can* send a different chain to output 1 than you do to output 2. For that, you use the Effects Loop block in the chain.

For example, the chain below:

---[wah]---[drive]---[shunt]---[shunt]--- to output
............\
...............[amp]---[cab]---[reverb]---[FXloop]

What this does is:
- Just wah+drive to output 1
- wah+amp+cab+reverb to output 2

Here is one example of how you can do it. There are actually several good ways of doing it.

This uses output 2 to bogner, output 1 to QSC (I would do it this way so you can use a balanced connection to the QSC)
Set fx loop bypass mode to mute, set amp bypass mode to mute.

When you bypass fx loop only the QSC will play, when you bypass the amp only the Bogner will play. If nothing is bypassed both play.

To assign it to a single button go to the bypass parameter of the fx loop block. Hit enter. Assign the modifier source to an unused external controller (set you GC Pro to use this external controller on an IA).
Next, go to the amp block bypass parameter and hit enter. Assign the modifier source to the same external controller but change the start and end from 0-100% to 100-0%.

Now when you hit the IA it will A/B between the 2 paths. Having an A/B/Y switch with group control pro would require 2 switches. Other controller can do it with one. That being said, you can easily set it up a patch so it only mutes one signal and can switch it in and out for a Y switch.

Attachments

• 2path.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 268
Thanks so much guys. Can't wait to try this out. The possiblities with the Axe just continue to be endless!

Haven't gotten the GC Pro setup yet but that chain worked like a champ!!!! Thanks so much. Still need to get a balanced cable to go from Axe to QSC but man oh man just awesome. Of course, I think I need more IA switches, I'm tapped out!!! When is the Axe controller gonna hit???? ;)

Back
Top Bottom