Instantaneously turn on Delay block?

RamboMadCow

Inspired
I asked a question previous about using a microphone through the axe, and so far it's worked out quite exceptionally well for me. One of the neat things I figured out, was how to tie tap delay to the delay block, and then use it to repeat words during a show, similar to what Metallica does in For Whom the Bell Tolls live.

My current setup to do this is to have a 2 presets. One where I have a clean vocal for normal settings where the delay block is disabled, then a 2nd preset for the delay where the delay block is turned on. Using this, there's a noticeable delay that happens in the transition from disabled to enabled. This causes me to have to try and jump the gun early to engage the block for the effect, which proves challenging when trying to play guitar and sing in correct time, but foot stomp ahead of the beat.

Does anyone here know if there a way/trick using any of the features we currently have to have an instantaneously on delay? Maybe having the delay block always engaged but at 0 volume and when I change preset it's 100% volume or something? It would be nice if I could also make this more of a toggle stomp for on/off if possible so I don't have to tap dance between 2 presets. I own an FC-12 if that helps with my potential capabilities to do this.

Yes, switches can turn effects on and off. Engaging and bypassing delay with "Mute FX In" bypass mode selected should work fine. A control switch or external switch could be configured as momentary to only feed the delay while held, instead of pressing once for on & again for off.

the delay block does turn on instantly.

instead of changing presets, why don't you just turn on the Delay block, which happens instantly.

@Bakerman I'll look into the "Mute FX In" option. Does that do something functionally different than disabling/re-enabling the block?

@chris If a switch is tied directly to a block being enabled/disabled, is that some how instantaneous while swapping presets incurs a slight delay?

Originally I was using a Voodoo Ground Control Pro, so it was challenging for me to try and tie a specific block to a foot switch. I'll be converting over to my FC-12 this week so maybe it'll be easier to do what you're suggesting with that.

@chris If a switch is tied directly to a block being enabled/disabled, is that some how instantaneous while swapping presets incurs a slight delay?
yes. changing presets has a slight audio gap to prevent popping due to thousands of parameters changing instantly. preset changing in most gear from any manufacturer is not seamless/instant.

blocks turn on/off instantly because they are already loaded in the current preset. that's how most gear works. so turn the block on and off in the same preset.

@chris Ohh I had no idea that's how it works and that's expected behavior. This sounds very promising for me now. Thank you to both for your help!

Well using the FC-12 with the Axe Edit was much simpler than I expected it to be and already have it set up exactly as @chris mentioned. To do a momentary on (on while foot is on the switch) as @Bakerman suggested, the only way to do that is through the control switch feature and use an external switch?

Well using the FC-12 with the Axe Edit was much simpler than I expected it to be and already have it set up exactly as @chris mentioned. To do a momentary on (on while foot is on the switch) as @Bakerman suggested, the only way to do that is through the control switch feature and use an external switch?
Control switches can be the onboard switch.

Ahh, is an explanation of this in the manual? I haven't downloaded it yet but I'll get to it now.

On a similar note that I was trying to do last night: Is there a way to do 1 switch that enables/disables multiple blocks at once? I'd prefer to engage a chorus, delay, and reverb with 1 tap and not have to swap an entire scene if that's possible. Would that also be done via Control Switches?

Ahh, is an explanation of this in the manual? I haven't downloaded it yet but I'll get to it now.

On a similar note that I was trying to do last night: Is there a way to do 1 switch that enables/disables multiple blocks at once? I'd prefer to engage a chorus, delay, and reverb with 1 tap and not have to swap an entire scene if that's possible. Would that also be done via Control Switches?
This is all basic Axe-Fx functionality that existed long before scenes existed.

The Bypass parameter of each block can be attached to any modifier. If you assign the Bypass parameters of multiple blocks to the same footswitch, all of those blocks will by bypassed when you stomp that footswitch.

Scenes.

Is there a way to do 1 switch that enables/disables multiple blocks at once? I'd prefer to engage a chorus, delay, and reverb with 1 tap and not have to swap an entire scene if that's possible. Would that also be done via Control Switches?

Scene is usual option, but you said you would rather not use scene. As with all things Fractal, there are several ways to do what you want:
Scenes,
Control Switch, with same switch # assigned to each block bypass
Mixer Block using channels, to mix which grid lines you hear or don't hear (no need to bypass effects), footswitch picks the Channel
MUX block using channels, to control which one grid line you have active (no need to bypass effects). footswitch picks the Channel

There are surely other ways as well... these just came to mind first. Apologies if I missed something in describing - am going from memory and not at my FX III at the moment to double check.

Wanted to give a quick update: I ended up finding an example of what you guys were talking about here: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fc-12-momentary-contact-switch-on-off.149904/

Using that and some of the other comments from you awesome gents, I have been able to successfully use a momentary control switch for my delay, and use a second control switch to enable/disable my 3 blocks for lead tone and de-couple it from scenes. This works wonderfully and I appreciate everyone's help! Thanks!

Well another update with a question: I successfully got 2 control switches to control the blocks the way I want as previously mentioned, but I discovered something else that I'm hoping I can find a solution to.

I use the same chorus, delay, and reverb blocks for my lead tones as well as my clean tones. Previously, these were set to come on during scene changes. Once I tied the blocks to a control switch and decoupled it from a scene, it appears as if I cannot have them default to "ON" for my clean scene. I have to switch to my clean scene, then push the foot switch for my "lead" tone.

With those three blocks tied to a control switch and not scenes, is there a way to have the Axe automatically re-engage those blocks for my clean scene, or to somehow send a simulated control switch down command to turn the blocks on, and then a control switch up for my dirty scene?

That is absolutely fabulous! Thank you so much to everyone! I have everything setup exactly how I was hoping to get it done!

Back
Top Bottom