Inspired by Yek - AX8 Presets

Johan Allard

Power User
Hi guys,

With inspiration from Yek's excellent: "Fractal Audio AMP models" presets: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fractal-audio-amp-models-the-presets.112594/, I decided to create Ax8 versions of these. I did check in with Yek first that he was cool with this.

Since his presets where created on a Axe FX 2 XL, I wanted not only simply convert them to the Ax8 but to make them more usable as well. So for each of the presets, I added a drive block, a filter block for volume boost and leads, and a delay block: I also configured scenes and the Ax8 footswitches. The goal was to create something that could be a usable live preset in a pinch, or at least act as a decent starting point for a live preset.

Blocks Added:
  • Drive (X:FAS Boost, Y:TS Mod - Drive 1, Vol 10)
  • Delay (X:Stereo Tape 1/4, Y:Analog Stereo 300ms)
  • Null Filter (X:+2dB, Y:+4dB)
Footswitch Configuration:
  • 1-4: Scene 1-4
  • 5: Amp X/Y (If Yek's preset had Amp Y)
  • 6: Drive
  • 7: Filter
  • 8: Delay
Scenes Overview:
  1. Amp X, Cab, Reverb
  2. Amp Y or Drive + Amp X, Cab, Reverb
  3. Amp X, Cab, Delay, Reverb
  4. Lead, usually Drive, Amp, Cab, Filter +4dB, Delay Y
Amp, Cab, Reverb: This is the Amp & Cab settings from Yek's Preset collection. Sometimes, when Yek had two amps in a preset, I split them into two presets instead. Yek had the high reverb quality on everything. I selected the normal and dialled down echo density to give us more CPU headroom in the Ax8. The upshot is that no preset uses more then 70% CPU so you have 20% or so to add for other things if you want, or dial the Reverb quality back up when using one of these presets as a base. I did also adjust the volume so that it would be a 0dB using my PRS Signature Limited/408 on the bridge pickup on all presets.

I dialled up the Noise Gate slightly. Yek had the threshold set to -80dB, I set it to -70dB. Still plenty low so it won't kill sustain.

Yek had configured all his presets for Direct/FoH on Output 1, and Output 2 to bypass the Cab block for running to a regular Guitar Cab. These presets are configured for Direct/FoH on both Output 1 and 2.

I really like the default FAS Drive Boost with most amp models. Not the best in every case and pretty much always usable. Since the Tubescreamer has been the standard forever so I also added a TS Mod with Drive 1 and Volume 10 as a Y block for those that prefer Tubescreamers.

The delay is just something simple that should be usable to add a bit of ambiance. The X tape delay follows quarter notes and Y analog delay is fixed to 300ms.

The Null Filter adds +2dB in X state and +4dB in Y state. The Null Filter X is never engaged in any scene and if you just want to give yourself a slight volume boost in Scene 1-3, a quick press on switch 7 will give you that. And for leads it will give you a healthy +4dB boost that should make you stand out nicely.

With the Scenes, Scene 1 is the default Yek Amp, Cab and Reverb setting. If Yek's preset had AMP Y configured, Scene 2 is AMP Y, Cab and Reverb. If Yek's preset didn't have AMP Y configured, Scene 2 is Drive, Amp, Cab and Reverb. Scene 3 is Amp X, Cab, Delay and Reverb. Scene 4 is a Lead preset. It is typically Drive, AMP X or Y, Cab, Filter Y and Delay. Scene 4 will be about 4dB louder than the rest of the scenes.

There are a couple of exceptions to the above. Sometimes Yek had a Drive block configured in his preset. If he did, then the Drive X is what he configured and Drive Y is the FAS Boost. I think on 1 preset he had 3 scenes AMP X, AMP Y and Drive + AMP X as 3 different scenes, so my preset is the same in that case. Scene 4 is always the lead preset.

Footswitches are configured so the lower row, switches 1-4 are Scenes 1-4. If Yek's preset had a AMP Y configured, switch 5 is AMP X/Y and otherwise left blank. Switch 6 is Drive, switch 7 is Filter (Volume boost) and switch 8 Delay.

So there you have it. It was certainly a lot of fun going through all of these and discovering some cool amp models along the way.

If you like these, please donate to Yek's Charity: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fractal-audio-amplifier-models-completed-yeks-guide.115779/

Enjoy!

Attachments

• Inspired by Yek.zip
    162 KB · Views: 679
Last edited:
Hi guys,

With inspiration from Yek's excellent: "Fractal Audio AMP models" presets: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fractal-audio-amp-models-the-presets.112594/, I decided to create Ax8 versions of these. I did check in with Yek first that he was cool with this.

Since his presets where created on a Axe FX 2 XL, I wanted not only simply convert them to the Ax8 but to make them more usable as well. So for each of the presets, I added a drive block, a filter block for volume boost and leads, and a delay block: I also configured scenes and the Ax8 footswitches. The goal was to create something that could be a usable live preset in a pinch, or at least act as a decent starting point for a live preset.

Blocks Added:
  • Drive (X:FAS Boost, Y:TS Mod - Drive 1, Vol 10)
  • Delay (X:Stereo Tape 1/4, Y:Analog Stereo 300ms)
  • Null Filter (X:+2dB, Y:+4dB)
Footswitch Configuration:
  • 1-4: Scene 1-4
  • 5: Amp X/Y (If Yek's preset had Amp Y)
  • 6: Drive
  • 7: Filter
  • 8: Delay
Scenes Overview:
  1. Amp X, Cab, Reverb
  2. Amp Y or Drive + Amp X, Cab, Reverb
  3. Amp X, Cab, Delay, Reverb
  4. Lead, usually Drive, Amp, Cab, Filter +4dB, Delay Y
Amp, Cab, Reverb: This is the Amp & Cab settings from Yek's Preset collection. Sometimes, when Yek had two amps in a preset, I split them into two presets instead. Yek had the high reverb quality on everything. I selected the normal and dialled down echo density to give us more CPU headroom in the Ax8. The upshot is that no preset uses more then 70% CPU so you have 20% or so to add for other things if you want, or dial the Reverb quality back up when using one of these presets as a base. I did also adjust the volume so that it would be a 0dB using my PRS Signature Limited/408 on the bridge pickup on all presets.

I dialled up the Noise Gate slightly. Yek had the threshold set to -80dB, I set it to -70dB. Still plenty low so it won't kill sustain.

I really like the default FAS Drive Boost with most amp models. Not the best in every case and pretty much always usable. Since the Tubescreamer has been the standard forever so I also added a TS Mod with Drive 1 and Volume 10 as a Y block for those that prefer Tubescreamers.

The delay is just something simple that should be usable to add a bit of ambiance. The X tape delay follows quarter notes and Y analog delay is fixed to 300ms.

The Null Filter adds +2dB in X state and +4dB in Y state. The Null Filter X is never engaged in any scene and if you just want to give yourself a slight volume boost in Scene 1-3, a quick press on switch 7 will give you that. And for leads it will give you a healthy +4dB boost that should make you stand out nicely.

With the Scenes, Scene 1 is the default Yek Amp, Cab and Reverb setting. If Yek's preset had AMP Y configured, Scene 2 is AMP Y, Cab and Reverb. If Yek's preset didn't have AMP Y configured, Scene 2 is Drive, Amp, Cab and Reverb. Scene 3 is Amp X, Cab, Delay and Reverb. Scene 4 is a Lead preset. It is typically Drive, AMP X or Y, Cab, Filter Y and Delay. Scene 4 will be about 4dB louder than the rest of the scenes.

There are a couple of exceptions to the above. Sometimes Yek had a Drive block configured in his preset. If he did, then the Drive X is what he configured and Drive Y is the FAS Boost. I think on 1 preset he had 3 scenes AMP X, AMP Y and Drive + AMP X as 3 different scenes, so my preset is the same in that case. Scene 4 is always the lead preset.

Footswitches are configured so the lower row, switches 1-4 are Scenes 1-4. If Yek's preset had a AMP Y configured, switch 5 is AMP X/Y and otherwise left blank. Switch 6 is Drive, switch 7 is Filter (Volume boost) and switch 8 Delay.

So there you have it. It was certainly a lot of fun going through all of these and discovering some cool amp models along the way.

If you like these, please donate to Yek's Charity: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fractal-audio-amplifier-models-completed-yeks-guide.115779/

Enjoy!
nice! Cheers!

Hi guys,

I've now uploaded all these to Axe-Change as well to make it even easier. The easiest way to test these presets now are to open Ax8 Edit, go to Tools -> Axe-Change, set the settings as per the screenshot below and just click on an amp you want to test.

Enjoy!

Axe-Change_zps81ee18hj.png

Good work Johan.

I started doing the same and was working through the presets I liked, so you've saved me the trouble!

I have to say that Yek's presets seem to work best with my setup. They generally sit nicely in a mix so I would recommend that newbies use these presets as your first port of call, until you get comfortable enough to create your own.

Thanks so much for these patches! Spent an hour or so with them last evening - great stuff! A relative newb here and just realized that AxeChange exists in AX8 Edit - so cool!!!

Hi guys,

I've now uploaded all these to Axe-Change as well to make it even easier. The easiest way to test these presets now are to open Ax8 Edit, go to Tools -> Axe-Change, set the settings as per the screenshot below and just click on an amp you want to test.

Enjoy!

Axe-Change_zps81ee18hj.png

Thanks again for this. I finished auditioning these presets yesterday and picked my favorite 2 banks of amps. This should definitely be in a startup guide for newbies or something. Before this, I tried a couple of amps, didn't know how to set it up properly to get its character out nor which cab I need to match it to and ended up without a good way to understand the sound of the amp.
By auditioning this set of presets, I could understand the general character of every amp which enabled me to pick my favorites which match quite closely to the sounds I like in real amps (though there were a few pleasant surprises). I feel much more confident adding effects over this base tone and then to tweak the amp to where I like it. Heck, I might even go down the cab/IR rabbit hole now :)

Just loaded these up a few days ago and have been slowly moving though them. I typically don't like other's presets but there are some really fantastic presets in here perfect for use as jump off points to create one's own tones. Thanks so much guys!

@Johan Allard and @yek thanks very much. I really like what I've heard so far.

What's the easiest way to bulk import all 107 into my AX8? I ended up using Fractool to combine them into 14 banks, then Fractal-Bot to send each bank in turn. Seemed a little awkward.

Back
Top Bottom