Insight into the Mesa amps...

Ugly Bunny

Power User
TL;DR: Set the classic V-shape in the EQ section as the first step.

I always struggle building a preset from scratch. I'm just not good at choosing an IR out of thousands, nor am I experienced with the real versions of all the amps well enough to really know what I'm looking for. I usually just default to a Mesa amp and some Cali cab (absolutely IN LOVE with the JP-2C amps!).

But it dawned on me the other day that one of the problems I struggle so much in the initial patch creation - particularly when using Mesa amps - is that the amp doesn't come alive until you go to the EQ sections and make the classic V shape. Basically every Mesa amp - clean or dirty - jumps to life as soon as you do this. At this point, THEN I can go back and choose a better cab and hear how it's really going to sound. And this is all before I've added any other tweaks to the amp/cab block or added any other blocks at all.

Anyone notice this or do this? Does this EQ trick work well on other amps?

Mark series amps have the tonestack pre gain and the graphic eq post gain, so the bass/mid/treble shape the character of the gain while the graphic shapes the overall tone. In this regard they're an anomaly in the world of high gain amps, where the B/M/T controls are often post gain. Look at the "tonestack location" in the preamp tab with different models to find out which category each model falls into.

Playing with tonestack location also can change amps into something totally different. More stuff you cant do in the real world.... easily.

Mark series amps have the tonestack pre gain and the graphic eq post gain, so the bass/mid/treble shape the character of the gain while the graphic shapes the overall tone. In this regard they're an anomaly in the world of high gain amps, where the B/M/T controls are often post gain. Look at the "tonestack location" in the preamp tab with different models to find out which category each model falls into.

All of this, and I'll also note that this is specific to Mark series and Mark derivatives. Rectifiers have a more traditional topology.

Mark series amps tend to be very boxy and mid heavy without additional EQ, which is why ones with the EQ option are generally more popular. Even those players with a more mid focused sound often have that 750 slider down a bit.

Lightsaber mids is an expression that I only use for Mark Series amps lead tones.
In the words of Hatebreed, "I WILL BE HEARD!"

Back
Top Bottom