Wish Insert Preset and/or shift all presets down 1 place

Hi

I have my presets setup in specific order so they're easy to access. Say I find a new preset I want to fit somewhere in the list, I first have to find a blank section in my presets where I can manually copy everything below where I want the new preset to. This sometimes can mean a number of columns so multiple passes. Then move the new preset in place. Lastly putting everything back after it. This just takes soooo much time.

Can we not just have a function that shifts all presets 1 place higher after the current preset and/or have the ability to insert a preset between presets?

Or if there's already a quick way please advise?

Cheers

One other possible option would be to export all of your presets (or at least the relevant bank) to a .syx file using fractal bot and then drag that file into the browser in Axe Manage Presets. You can then select them in the browser and pull them back over in the new order and location that you want. So instead of using the empty slots to do the reordering, you're using the backup .syx file instead.

You can also bulk move presets in the editor...

I assume you're asking about a change in the editor and not the hardware?

If so this would fit better in the Axe-Edit forum.

If not, I don't think this is possible.

Hi

I have my presets setup in specific order so they're easy to access. Say I find a new preset I want to fit somewhere in the list, I first have to find a blank section in my presets where I can manually copy everything below where I want the new preset to. This sometimes can mean a number of columns so multiple passes. Then move the new preset in place. Lastly putting everything back after it. This just takes soooo much time.

Can we not just have a function that shifts all presets 1 place higher after the current preset and/or have the ability to insert a preset between presets?

Cheers
This is better, and more easily, done using the editor. It supports drag and drop, multiple selections and copy and paste.

It doesn’t do inserts because, if you tried to inset, what should it do with occupied slots at the end of the user cab space? So there are some things we think are obvious actions that really are not obvious in software so Fractal doesn’t allow that action. After getting used to the few limitations it’s easy to move things wherever you want.

Not to make this a modeler comparison, but Helix moves presets like this by default, inserting and sliding the ones after that down to make room. I don't remember what happens to the last ones that get bumped off the end, they may be lost.

I'd argue that that's the more commonly desired action.

Not to make this a modeler comparison, but Helix moves presets like this by default, inserting and sliding the ones after that down to make room. I don't remember what happens to the last ones that get bumped off the end, they may be lost.

I'd argue that that's the more commonly desired action.
I was thinking more about this.

Neither action is correct if it can lead to unintentional loss of a preset. The software needs to do a preflight check to see if there is sufficient space for the insertion, and notify the user if there’s not and list of what will be destroyed if they continue, or cancel the action with an alert explaining why.

Being able to move 1 or 10 presets is relatively safe, but what if someone wants to insert 100 or more? The notification would be ridiculously difficult to display, which would be a UI programming fail.

Fractal’s method accomplishes the same goal in the end, that of keeping presets safe if they could be lost, because we have to manipulate and manage the presets in their slots ourselves so we’re aware of what can be lost, and if we don’t take the time to check then it’s on us. It’s not as “pretty” or nifty, but being effective trumps being shiny in the long run.

There will probably be UI improvements of this, but the corner cases need to be figured out first.

Last edited:
One other possible option would be to export all of your presets (or at least the relevant bank) to a .syx file using fractal bot and then drag that file into the browser in Axe Manage Presets. You can then select them in the browser and pull them back over in the new order and location that you want. So instead of using the empty slots to do the reordering, you're using the backup .syx file instead.
This is how I do it. Its the most efficient way imho... just try it and you will get around. Its a lot of workaround for just 1 preset, but still "the way" to do it

Cheers 🍻

Hi

Cheers
I use cut, drag and paste.

Assuming the target preset is already stored in a slot at the end of the list of my standard presets. I will:
  1. figure out where I want to put the preset I’m moving.
  2. click the next preset slot following it, then scroll to the slot immediately prior to the target preset, hold down the Shift key and click, then Cut, either using Command/Control+X or a right-click and using the pop-up Edit menu. The Manager will copy them then replace them with empty slots.
  3. drag the target preset to the top of the newly created empty space.
  4. do a paste in the next space available. The Preset manager will insert the previously copied presets.
  5. click Store.
If, you screw up at any point before clicking Store, simply exit the manager and reopen it and start over.

Both the copy and paste actions have the potential to take a little time, but I’ve moved big groups of presets that way and the wait didn’t take too long. The Store action can take a little while but I don’t have to stare at the screen, it’s a chance to get some tea or do something else for a minute. There’s a point where the Preset Manager will complain that I am trying to work with too many presets, but I rarely run into that.

I keep some empty preset slots before and after my personal presets so I have some room to maneuver and adjust presets. I also don’t keep every preset I own in the modeler, instead they’re stored in a handy directory on my disk where I can browse and audition them if I’m looking for something.

It’s possible to use backups to accomplish the same thing too by dropping the backup file into the left “Browser” pane of the Preset Manager, allowing you to move things around before storing them. Both methods work and it seems to be a matter of user preference.

Last edited:
I wonder what kind of indexing system Fractal uses to manage preset and cab storage. Using some kind of index or lookup table would allow reordering presets without actually moving the data in storage, but would likely also increase preset load times do to the extra lookup steps involved.

I wonder what kind of indexing system Fractal uses to manage preset and cab storage. Using some kind of index or lookup table would allow reordering presets without actually moving the data in storage, but would likely also increase preset load times do to the extra lookup steps involved.

Based on the way IR's are referenced, I think the slot number is the indexing system :). But you're right...one level of indirection would give you the freedom to play around with order without moving anything. However, I think set lists are the intended way to deal with the use case where order matters. OTOH, if you're moving presets in order to keep things organized so you can find presets in a large library, the current flat fixed number of slots is a dead end IMHO, and keeping your presets in a computer file system is the solution.

Back
Top Bottom