Input trim

Eman7422

Inspired
Sounds/feels like if it turn it down just a bit to like .824 on some of my higher gain patches seems to smooth out the tone a bit which I seem to like.

By smooth out, seems to reduce some of the unwanted highs??
Anyone else do this?

Thoughts?

Input Trim just adjusts the level of the signal entering the Amp block. Nothing more.

Sounds/feels like if it turn it down just a bit to like .824 on some of my higher gain patches seems to smooth out the tone a bit which I seem to like.

Anyone else do this?

Thoughts?

Should be like....home in on the tone with the "Input Drive" and use the "Input Trim" to add more or less gain. Lower drive settings brightens or sparkles the tone while higher settings warms the tone.

Input Trim is profoundly useful: as it allows you to tailor how your guitar signal hits the input stage of the amp. How significant of an effect it has depends on the amp model (treble peaker circuit or not affecting the Input Drive setting) and the guitar/pickups in use.

From page 47 in the manual: "In short, use INPUT TRIM to adjust gain without also changing tone."

Turn it up (about 1.2) so a low output Filtertron doesn't have to struggle to push the amp a little without having to use a OD pedal, or set it low (.4 in some cases) for Blackouts or Dirty Fingers; such that Drive and Gain can be used in the optimal range of the amp and doesn't slam everything into hash at "2", or force you to roll off the volume from the guitar.

I generally set my patches up so that Input Trim gives an optimal mean to clean travel out of the volume knob on the guitar in use into the amp in use.

Its a tweaky nuance, perhaps: but I sure appreciate it.

Last edited:

Anyone else do this?

Thoughts?
This works for you with your other settings but it’s not some magical setting. It reduces or increases level, that’s all.

This works for you with your other settings but it’s not some magical setting. It reduces or increases level, that’s all.

Although, reducing level DEFINITELY affects the sound and feel of any distorted sound. So the OP's not wrong.

Oh, I didn't mean the number itself was magical, ......just where I ended up on a particular patch.

Was really shooting for .8

Take a look through the Tech Notes section of News and Announcements forum. There's one specifically on the Input Trim as well as other threads addressing and explaining things like the different volume and gain controls. A great resource from the designer himself.

In some patches it affects the sound a lot, for example when using some models of Fender amps, which advise to set it to "0.5".

Back
Top Bottom