Input -> SPDIF -> Sync. problems

Morphosis

Official G66 Support
How get you SPDIF to sync. ? My Axe loose sync. when Switch to INPUT-> SPDIF/AES

Axe Standard:
- Have to sync soundcard, when Axe Input = Analog. After that i can change to SPDIF and it still keeps sync.

Axe II
- when Input = Analog sync to SPDIF works. After that i try to switch Input to SPDIF -> sync. get lost.
- when Input = SPDIF i also can`t get a synced connection ....

Perhaps my soundcard sucks?

Can anybody sync. directly when Input is set to SPDIF ?

Here are 2 threads that discuss various digital I/O hookup / sync issues:

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/46016-question-cliff-anyone-knows-about-word-clock-sync-through-axe-ii-aes.html#post601502

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/46029-about-digital-i-o-issues.html#post601260

I have a similar issue with SPDIF / AES/EBU sync, but I'm not sure if what I'm trying to do is even supposed to be able to work. Here's my setup:

PC motherboard SPDIF out => Hosa "SPDIF to AES/EBU converter" SPDIF In => Hosa "SPDIF to AES/EBU converter" AES/EBU Out => AxeII AES/EBU In => AxeII AES/EBU Out => Rane RPM 26z AES/EBU In (digital EQ, etc)

The AxeII to Rane AES/EBU connection works great, no problems.

When I try to add the Hosa SPDIF to AES/EBU on the input side of the chain, the input sound is very garbled and/or won't stay sync'd.

Can Cliff or someone comment on if this "should" even work or am I just asking too much to try to keep all these clocks sync'd without a true world clock? Thanks.

@THX: Thanks! In the "About Digital I/O issues..." thread i found something by double reading i have to retry..... we`ll see...

I think it's because the Axe FX II is the master clock?
I had the same issue until I made sure that my soundcard was "Slave" and synced the signal coming FROM the Axe FX.
If I remember correctly my sync option was called "Sync source" and I set it to "external"
It's just a fancy way of making my soundcard the slave spdif that needs to be synced to the Master spdif.
Hope it makes sense :p

Thanks for the idea on the soundcard external sync. I'm not sure if I can set the sync to "external" since I'm only using the audio chip on the motherboard and it's options are fairly limited. I'll try to see what settings are available. Worst case, I can just get a decent soundcard. Still not sure how the Hosa converter will handle the translation from SPDIF to AES/EBU. In other words, I'm not sure if it will allow a master / slave clock arrangement in either "direction".

Back
Top Bottom