Input/recording levels

RockerAlex

Inspired
I have been doing a lot of recording as of recent and something that has been confusing me is input volume while using an external interface with the Axe FX. I'm currently plugging into a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 interface via XLR L and R and I'm hearing from various sound engineer friend types that you should always leave yourself some headroom while recording in ... I've got my preset levelled to 0db via the VU meters but I'm wondering is it more beneficial to turn up the Axe FX output level and leave the Scarlett input knobs all the way off (or just up before they touch the red) or some mixture of both?

Keep in my that even though my Scarlett inputs stay green Studio One is saying I'm clipping on palm mutes ...!?

If you're going into the preamp input on the Scarlett, then turning up the gain is going to color your tone with that preamp. It's up to you whether that's a good thing or a bad thing. I personally leave my input all the way down on my Saffire, as I have enough tone variations to worry about inside the AFX, and don't want to complicate things any more.

I usually let my source dictate the volume and just set my target to capture it. Unless either is at an extreme.

Back
Top Bottom