Wish Input/output levels as modifier controllers

Rotti

Fractal Fanatic
I know what you're thinking, "there's already an envelope," but hear me out...

Suppose you have an EQ last in your chain before output, and suppose it's dialed in to simulate a Fletcher-Munson curve correction.

If you could control the mix to that EQ (via modifier tied to front panel output level control), where as you increase the output level the F-M EQ gradually had less effect on the signal, you could effectively have a one-knob, responsive control allowing you to dial in at low volume while trusting you'll still be in the ballpark when cranked.

Definitely would still require an individual to know their playback system and put in the leg work to make it useful for them, but I think it's a solid alternative to having presets for loud and others for quiet.

I frickin' LOVE the idea of some feature automatically compensating for the FM curve. I don't know how you'd conveniently change between "loud" and "quiet" environments, since I use headphones for practice and headphones for full-band rehearsal as well, yet I play loud live. Not to mention half my band uses in-ears, so I don't know how you'd compensate for the FM curve for the audience and half the band, while leaving the "headphone-ready" signal intact for the other half of the band.

In any case, +1.

Try it for yourself and see if it works.

Max out your outputs on the front panel, and then tie some modifiers to a volume pedal at the end of your chain, and peq's low and high shelving's gain tied to exp pedal too.

Try it for yourself and see if it works.

Max out your outputs on the front panel, and then tie some modifiers to a volume pedal at the end of your chain, and peq's low and high shelving's gain tied to exp pedal too.
I actually do something similar with my XL, except it's a PEQ curve with defined output cuts for X/Y instead of the front panel output knob or tying up an expression pedal. It works great, but is limited to the X/Y attenuation levels instead of being continuous.

A modifier isn't the way to do this in my opinion, because knob settings have nothing to do with actual volume.

Sorry for the double post, just wanted to show how I'm doing this now.
"X" is comfortable room volume, "Y" is people-are-sleeping volume. Curves aren't perfect, but when I bypass the PEQ (end of chain) I get a very, very similar tone at full volume.

1624056229283.png

A modifier isn't the way to do this in my opinion, because knob settings have nothing to do with actual volume.
Agreed on the actual volume. It would still take working with your own playback system at a consistent volume. But assuming you went through the trouble to do so, being able to have F-M correction at whatever level (as opposed to a few fixed levels) via a single front panel knob is really attractive. I should maybe clarify here: the wish would be that front panel knobs could act like an external modifier, similar to an expression pedal, but the III's own output knobs (and input, because why not I guess).

Interested in what other ways you'd suggest?

Edit: Hey M@! How's it been?

EQ is only one aspect of bedroom-level vs. gig-level presets. At gig levels, you'll also find that you want less gain and less effects in the mix.

Last edited:
EQ it's only one aspect of bedroom-level vs. gig-level presets. At gig levels, you'll also find that you want less gain and less effects in the mix.
Ahhh yes and no... I agree that less gain & effects benefit a mix and uncluttered the space for your guitar to sit, but that's true whether loud or quiet.

Ahhh yes and no... I agree that less gain & effects benefit a mix and uncluttered the space for your guitar to sit, but that's true whether loud or quiet.
Actually, it’s often different between loud and quiet.

Actually, it’s often different between loud and quiet.
Well, all the more reason to be able to tie the output knob as a modifier controller to the levels/mixes of whatever else floats your boat.

I know what you're thinking, "there's already an envelope," but hear me out...

Suppose you have an EQ last in your chain before output, and suppose it's dialed in to simulate a Fletcher-Munson curve correction.

If you could control the mix to that EQ (via modifier tied to front panel output level control), where as you increase the output level the F-M EQ gradually had less effect on the signal, you could effectively have a one-knob, responsive control allowing you to dial in at low volume while trusting you'll still be in the ballpark when cranked.

Definitely would still require an individual to know their playback system and put in the leg work to make it useful for them, but I think it's a solid alternative to having presets for loud and others for quiet.
I dialled in two bands of a PEQ to do this. It works fairly well to add or subtract some lows and highs to help un-FUBAR your tone if the preset was dialled in for a different volume level.

Back
Top Bottom