Input Needed - Using CLR's for small club/FOH

zionplayer

Inspired
We are starting a band and will be needing a sound system for FOH. Plan to play smaller venues for the most part, and will rent stuff for larger halls if we book one.

My idea is to get two powered CLR's that I could use with my FX II at home for great sound, then maybe pole mount them and add subs for a FOH system at pubs/clubs (maybe up to 100-150 people size). We are thinking to go all IEM and maybe the Behringer x32 rack (hope that x32 sounds really good; what a huge value it seems to be).

As I am new to all of this gear (except the Axe! Love it) I would appreciate comments on this approach - good and bad. Would it be loud enough? Can I hook up subs with the CLR's somehow? I know the sound quality should be excellent from what I have read so far.

Many thanks!

Seems like a good idea. However, you should check up the venues you want to play at first before taking this into consideration. Depending on what and where you are playing, you might almost never need to bring your own monitoring.

Don't get me wrong: having a consistent FOH system for every show is great and all, but it's a pain in the ass from a logistical point of view. 90% of the time venues got their own stuff and don't want you to bring yours.

You can, however, use the CLRs for your personal monitoring on stage and use a mini mixer to set the levels, if you want to be independent from the sound guy.

But as a rule of thumb (when you are playing smaller venues): keep it simple.
Midi controller, your most versatile guitar, Axe, cables. That's all you need.

If the venues you plan to play in don't have a house system, using the CLR's for FOH PA for that many people should work pretty good. Depending on the type of venue indoor out door you may not need 2 subs but you can always turn them down. The other thing you didn't mention is the type of music your playing. The drummer (if your using one) will set the volume for the stage and venue when it's that small. Nothing like a drummer that knows how to control the way he hits other wise a set of shields will come in handy.

Last edited:
Two CLR's with a Sub should sound great.
I would not throw kick drum through the CLR's without the low cut (and a sub). Just my opinion.

I have the Behringer X-Rack (X32 in rack format), it's awesome.
I have a Mackie DL1608 and Yamaha O1V96 as well.....and I would pick X32 any day of the week.

what BBN said. The CLRs sound fine as PA cabinets. I've used them as Vocal only PA, and also with a Sub adding a little kick and bass (engage the SUB switch ON, to engage the hi pass filter on the CLRs). The CLRs have a "jumper" XLR output so you can daisy-chain them to other cabinets or send a feed to subwoofers, or wherever you want. It's covered in the owner's manual. The wide dispersion of the CLRs actually make them a good choice for PA on-a-stick. Make sure they are well elevated and they will carry a room of 150 pretty easily in my experience.

One thing to be mindful of, the CLRs in comparison to a lot of "pro-sumer" level PA cabinets do not have some of the hyped EQ/processing that these other cabinets have. They are designed for "flat" representation and ultimate clarity in the mid and high frequencies. For some users, it may be different than they are accustomed to, so just make a mental note of this, and then forget about it. The CLRs sound very, very good IMO.

I'm actually looking for new small tops for my 150-200 person rooms, to be paired with a JBL SRX728 (dual 18") sub.
I'm going to line up: JBL SR-X4702, JBL SR-X4722, QSC HPR122, QSC KW122, Atomic CLR, RCF NX12ma, and maybe an RCF ART712 (if I can get my hands on it) - in my garage and see what sounds the best.
I'll report back on how well the Atomic performs.
If it's a winner....I'd probably order 2 passives (and power with my Crown iTech amps).

Jay, interested to hear what you come up with. As good as the CLR sounds, I'd be very surprised if they make the final cut given the context of your usage, budget, and solid competition. But don't let that taint your opinion...LOL.

I'm actually looking for new small tops for my 150-200 person rooms, to be paired with a JBL SRX728 (dual 18") sub.
I'm going to line up: JBL SR-X4702, JBL SR-X4722, QSC HPR122, QSC KW122, Atomic CLR, RCF NX12ma, and maybe an RCF ART712 (if I can get my hands on it) - in my garage and see what sounds the best.
I'll report back on how well the Atomic performs.
If it's a winner....I'd probably order 2 passives (and power with my Crown iTech amps).

Looking forward to your report.

I'm thinking of doing nearly the same thing. I'm just going with active cabs and stop hauling the amp rack around.

Thanks to everyone for their input! Helps a great deal.

BBN - Will also be looking forward to your report. Sounds like a killer line up for comparison (I would probably want to keep them all once I got them set up). I am getting pretty lazy too, so I would love to hear your thoughts on how heavy these are in comparison, for lugging around and setup... I think the NEO version of the CLR's look really interesting even tho there is a price to pay if I go that route. Maybe I just need a road crew, right?

I have the Behringer X-Rack (X32 in rack format), it's awesome.
I have a Mackie DL1608 and Yamaha O1V96 as well.....and I would pick X32 any day of the week.

Question on the x32 Rack, which is what I am looking at for mixing. I have seen comments (Gearslutz or TGP, can’t remember) that it sounds "squashed" or not as dynamic as other - admittedly more expensive - consoles. Do you have any thoughts on the sound quality of the board compared to others you have/have used? Any downside you have to offer?

I am also confused on the personal monitor units for IEM. If I have 8 outs (plus 6 Aux outs) on the mixer can I not use those for IEM and let folks control all 32 channels with IPhone/Ipad instead of buying the personal monitors – which can only mix 16 channels anyway.

I keep coming back to the pure value of this unit at $1,200. Just seems amazing for what it can do, and the ability to expand with an S-16 for more in-outs is really attractive to me.

Thanks again for the input.

I keep coming back to the pure value of this unit at $1,200. Just seems amazing for what it can do

Corners cut somewhere...

For me, the Allen & Heath Qu-16 / new Qu-24 is outstanding in all departments. A bit more money though, admittedly, but still great value :encouragement:

Question on the x32 Rack, which is what I am looking at for mixing. I have seen comments (Gearslutz or TGP, can’t remember) that it sounds "squashed" or not as dynamic as other - admittedly more expensive - consoles. Do you have any thoughts on the sound quality of the board compared to others you have/have used? Any downside you have to offer?

I am also confused on the personal monitor units for IEM. If I have 8 outs (plus 6 Aux outs) on the mixer can I not use those for IEM and let folks control all 32 channels with IPhone/Ipad instead of buying the personal monitors – which can only mix 16 channels anyway.

I keep coming back to the pure value of this unit at $1,200. Just seems amazing for what it can do, and the ability to expand with an S-16 for more in-outs is really attractive to me.

Thanks again for the input.

The 'midas designed' pre amps in the Behringer are obviously not the quality of the high end Midas boards (that cost 5x as much), but they are excellent.
I much prefer the pre's and Eq shaping in the Behringer, when compared to the Yamaha O1V96 and Mackie DL1608.

I'm only 3 months in with the X-Rack and I am absolutely loving it. I wanted to love the Mackie DL1608 (and I still have one), but their software and unit capabilities is absolutely laughable when compared to the Behringer.
As far as Behringer cutting corners....I don't see it (or hear it). The unit sounds outstanding, and has (so far) performed flawlessly.

I do not hear anything squished or not as dynamic as other consoles I've tried.....BUT I've never owned anything higher end than what I have stated above.
I can't comment on the Behringer vs. the Allen&Heath, because I've never tried the A&H. I will say that I used to own a MixWizard3, and I didn't like it at all.
I will say that one of my buddies sold hid Midas Venice console for the Behringer X-Rack and he is very happy. Are the Pre-amps as good as the analog Midas board....no....but with the speakers and amps I use (JBL SRX and Crown iTech), the Behringer is not the weak link in the chain. I would consider the Behringer of equal quality.
If I was plugging my mixer into a stadium full of line array speakers.....yeah, maybe I'd try something more high end than the Behringer. But for club gigging (rooms up to 500+), this board is a godsend.

As far as the Behringer personal monitor units for IEM, the only advantage is that you have an actual hardware unit to 'touch' if you're on stage with sweaty hands. Example....my drummer would never be able to adjust his IEM mix on an ipad in the middle of a set. It requires too much 'touch' accuracy. But me (being a singer/guitar player), I have no problem walking back and performing a couple of adjustments on the iPad within seconds.
The other advantage of the personal IEM units is that it is probably easier to 'lock people out' of touching the wrong mix. One of my other friends that was using the Mackie DL1608 had his drummer accidentally change the FOH mix instead of his IEM. That sucks.

I'm not cheap, and I'm not a Behringer lover.....but these boards have sold me on the fact that Behringer has really gotten their act together. If you think they're cutting corners, go read some articles about how they have created 'Behringer city', a campus for designing and manufacturing all of their gear. (with Midas right next door). They seem to have really stepped up their game. Kind of like Hyundai cars, if you look at their quality now as compared to in the late 80's.

When the Mackie DL1608 was announced at NAMM in 2012, I called Mackie a couple days later and said - "are you going to come out with a rackmount version of this, that looks like a patch bay?".
Mackie phone rep - "not sure what you mean, we are going to have a rack kit to put the DL1608 in".
I said - "no, I mean, take two of your Onyx rack pre amps, put them into one two space case, and put an iPad jack in the front.....done. I don't need a rack tray for the ipad, it would be more efficient to make this into just a patch bay type unit"
Mackie phone rep - "cool idea, I'll talk to our Dev team".
Two years later - Mackie has not advanced this product one inch! New Firmware releases have been amazingly minor improvements. (anyone want to buy my DL1608??)
But Behringer, who is obviously investing heavily in R&D, came out with many versions of their mixer, to meet any situation required.
When I saw the X-Rack at NAMM in 2013, I said - "THAT'S IT!", that's what I've been looking for. I offered to buy the demo model right then....they laughed at me. (I'm sure it wasn't fully baked anyway, and probably had lots of bugs).
But now a full year later, the X-series are all on the market, and NOBODY else has anything like the X-Rack in their product stable (that I have seen).
I bought the X-Rack because the iOS app was amazing, and the board was the exact form factor I was waiting for. Now that I have it.....I love it.

I tend to test and overthink the crap out of everything. I have spent a lot of time just playing with the X-Rack and thinking about it's features and what I can do with it.
This past week, I finally downloaded the drivers on my laptop, and set up to do 16 Track Recording. Did some quick tests.....works great.
So I can track any show by opening my laptop and connecting a USB cable. Love that.
A lot of the features on the X-Series mixers are daunting. DCA Groups, Matrix Mixes...things I never thought about. But once you spend some time with it, you realize they are well thought out, every useful features.

I'll give one more example, and then I'll shut up:
I use a DBX Driverack 260. Crossover, Eq, Speaker Delay. Nice unit.
I found that if I run my Main L/R signal into the Matrix Mix Outputs on the Behringer, that I can use the Eq section on the Matrix Output channel to perform Crossover and Time Delay. The Matrix Outputs actually have Crossover functions....not just Eq'ing out the unwanted frequencies, this is an actual Crossover.
I can also insert a 31 band Eq on the Main L/R signal.
So with a couple of swipes on the iPad, I completely eliminated my need for the Driverack 260 (that unit costs $1000 new).
Those Matrix Outputs (there are 6 of them), I also used to send my Main L/R signal to two 'Aux' outputs for when I need to plug into a club's system.
I played a room last night that has a set of RCF single 12's flying in front of the stage, and a pair of JBL JRX dual 15's (gross) flying on the sides of the stage.
I brought my own JBL SRX728 sub into the room, and added that to the PA.
So now I have 3 totally different sets of speakers....what do I do.
I sent one Matrix Output to my Sub, and use the Crossover to tune it properly to provide thumping low end.
I send one Matrix Output to the club's RCF tops, and use the Crossover to take out the low end, and the Eq to tweak that set of speakers to my liking.
I send another Matrix Output to the club's JBL tops and use the Crossover to take out the low end, and the Eq to tweak that set of speakers to my liking.
Once I have them all tuned the way I think they should sound, I use the Matrix Output volumes to balance out the system.
Within 10 minutes, I have a nice sounding PA......press 'Save', and how I have my mix ready for that room the next time we are back.

If anyone buys an X-Series product and is confused by all the options....please feel free to PM me. More than willing to talk you through how to set it up.
I even created a visual map of how it all works (in MS Visio)....because I'm a geek.

(wow that was long)

Finally got around to doing this tonight.
Going to post super short version:

From left to right in the picture:
Jbl sr-x 4722
Atomic CLR active
RCF nx12ma
Jtr triple 8
Qsc hpr122i
Qsc kw122

In order of preference:
Atomic CLR - super clean, crisp and clear
Jtr triple 8 (very close second to the atomic) - a little too much mid, but super loud and clear
RCF nx 12ma - very nice but scooped sounding. Not as meaty of a mid section as above options.
Qsc hpr122 - stuffy sounding, no top end clarity compared to above options.
Qsc kw122 - even more stuffy sounding than hpr.
Jbl sr-x 4722 - honky and Eq doesn't get rid of it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 44
We are starting a band and will be needing a sound system for FOH. Plan to play smaller venues for the most part, and will rent stuff for larger halls if we book one.

My idea is to get two powered CLR's that I could use with my FX II at home for great sound, then maybe pole mount them and add subs for a FOH system at pubs/clubs (maybe up to 100-150 people size). We are thinking to go all IEM and maybe the Behringer x32 rack (hope that x32 sounds really good; what a huge value it seems to be).

As I am new to all of this gear (except the Axe! Love it) I would appreciate comments on this approach - good and bad. Would it be loud enough? Can I hook up subs with the CLR's somehow? I know the sound quality should be excellent from what I have read so far.

Many thanks!

Zionplayer - the CLRs are great for your use as FOH in small venues.

When I got mine I compared it to a few other active monitors, and the CLR clearly came out on top to all the other options.
If you are interested I did an extensive write up / review of the CLRs - search on my username and you'll find the thread - lots of good CLR info in there.

Zionplayer - the CLRs are great for your use as FOH in small venues.

When I got mine I compared it to a few other active monitors, and the CLR clearly came out on top to all the other options.
If you are interested I did an extensive write up / review of the CLRs - search on my username and you'll find the thread - lots of good CLR info in there.

Great review - very helpful. Thanks!

BBN - also, thanks for your insight and comments. I would have no way of comparing without the help of you guys that have access to other equipment. And I am sold on the x32 rack, just can't get one now! Backordered everywhere... figures.

OK - sold! Now, to find a couple of great subs to use...

Last edited:
Gees the weight on the Jtr's and you have to run an amp... I'll take the CLR's please :lol.

Ha...they're not 'that' bad. Although....no side handle. So you pick it up by the sides to get it on a tripod.
They're narrow though, which is nice for packing in the truck. And they can get crazy loud.
I read a lot about JTR and found a used pair. This video (although it doesn't show the quality of the sound at all) got me very interested.
JTR Growler Duo subwoofer & Triple 8 top. - YouTube

They are absolute tanks. Solid, solid, solid build.
I feel very comfortable that they will survive years of getting bounced around on weekends.

OK - sold! Now, to find a couple of great subs to use...

For last night's test, I ran the speakers full range and flat for a lot of the testing, and then I threw the crossover on and added a sub.
I used the JBL SRX718 sub, and it was a great match with the CLR.
One sub with one top (for my test). At a gig I would use 2.

Finally got around to doing this tonight.
Going to post super short version:

From left to right in the picture:
Jbl sr-x 4722
Atomic CLR active
RCF nx12ma
Jtr triple 8
Qsc hpr122i
Qsc kw122

In order of preference:
Atomic CLR - super clean, crisp and clear
Jtr triple 8 (very close second to the atomic) - a little too much mid, but super loud and clear
RCF nx 12ma - very nice but scooped sounding. Not as meaty of a mid section as above options.
Qsc hpr122 - stuffy sounding, no top end clarity compared to above options.
Qsc kw122 - even more stuffy sounding than hpr.
Jbl sr-x 4722 - honky and Eq doesn't get rid of it.
Looking forward to more CLR observations.
Interesting observation on the RCF compared to the CLR. I have an ancient pair RCF's a 200a and 200am (with 4 channel mixer built in). The highs are smoother than a lot of stuff out there, but I often get a hankering for better midrange and, like you, feel like they're a bit scooped.

When I build up the funds I may go to CLRs. Xrocker is local and has a pair on the way. I might get a chance to do a gig or two with them to find out how low they reach - I have an EAW 15" sub, but I often gig without it because I get lazy…the axe-fx is a bad influence ;)

Back
Top Bottom