Input Needed, question for those who have checked out my vids...

jlynnb1

Axe-Master
First of all, thanks to every one who has spent even a minute watching the YouTube stuff I've been doing. I don't take it for granted and want to create stuff that is enjoyable and informative for people who are just researching the Axe and for those of us who are die-hard fractalites.

In my quest to make it the best that I can, I was seeking input. I'm always looking for ways to trim the fat, make things more concise, shorter, etc. So I have a couple of questions:

1. Is the Axe-Edit/Preset breakdown and Wiki info at the beginning too much or do you think it provides good insight into the unit and what the tones I'm showcasing are based on and how simple the presets are to get there?

2. When playing through the tones, would it make more sense to try and record a short song or two showcasing the tones or is just riffing through a few different styles enough?

My concern with the playing is that it's easy to get lost in it, or to get noodly...and I don't want to waste peoples time when they are being kind enough to watch. The pro of just riffing is that I can blast through a few different styles in a few minutes. The con is getting carried away, obviously. The pro of the songs is it's more concise, saves time, and shows the tones in a mix. The con is more time between vids coming up with songs, recording, mixing, etc. I think it also limits what tones you can show because it might be jarring to try and record a songs that goes from country to blues to rock funk to....you get it.

So any and all input is appreciated. If you haven't had a chance to check you what I've been doing, the link to my youtube channel is in my sig. Thanks in advance, guys.

Honestly, I like how you're presenting them now. I like the snippets of tones with recognisable parts - I caught some John Mayer in one of your demos. I also like when you record whole parts, like the Hotel California solo. Both methods put what you're showing between the wiki and Axe Edit into contexts of well known songs.

Keep up the good work!

thanks guys, glad to hear that. i felt like i got a little spaced out on my last one (probably because it was 3am and i was TIRED, lol). I think if i just go into it with a loose "plan" for songs and styles to touch on i can keep it to the point without having to be tied to a song or whatever.

I like your videos. Even if I know some of the things you showing I don't think you either rush them or dwell. It's not that hard to fast forward over some aspects you are well aware of if the vidoes have a consistent aproach - thinking about the first part here.

What interest me more is you goin through a couple of different styles and modes as well as single-coils and humbuckers, neck to bright pick-up. Just doin a certain song in a style I might not be particulary interested in with one type of guitar and just one pick-up (mode? not native speaker) I don't think would be as interresting. Not give as full feel for the preset (amp).

Thinking back to when I didn't have any Axe-FX. I know this a bit out of the scope, but I would have liked you to do some quick alterations like you do when stand beside an amp. Turn down or up gain to get a feel for how e.g. jazzy/clean or real dirty this amp can sound - if it's a suitiable amp of course. Maybe turn down the bass or up the mid if it's needed. I mean quick things, not getting the perfect preset.

But your doin a great job!

I like your videos. Even if I know some of the things you showing I don't think you either rush them or dwell. It's not that hard to fast forward over some aspects you are well aware of if the vidoes have a consistent aproach - thinking about the first part here.

What interest me more is you goin through a couple of different styles and modes as well as single-coils and humbuckers, neck to bright pick-up. Just doin a certain song in a style I might not be particulary interested in with one type of guitar and just one pick-up (mode? not native speaker) I don't think would be as interresting. Not give as full feel for the preset (amp).

Thinking back to when I didn't have any Axe-FX. I know this a bit out of the scope, but I would have liked you to do some quick alterations like you do when stand beside an amp. Turn down or up gain to get a feel for how e.g. jazzy/clean or real dirty this amp can sound - if it's a suitiable amp of course. Maybe turn down the bass or up the mid if it's needed. I mean quick things, not getting the perfect preset.

But your doin a great job!

Yeah, someone else mentioned something like that. Maybe i could do in-depth videos of certain models just showing what the basic controls do. It could obviously be a rabbit-hole if you mess with the advanced controls, but I honestly don't understand what most of those do anyway, outside of the most used ones (bias, former match, output comp, pick attack, etc). Even the ones I understand I never use. Sticking to basic controls those would be pretty easy vids to throw together, though. Would be all screen cap and audio, less to edit and sync up.

Back
Top Bottom