INPUT meter not tickling red LED at all

NizarOdeh85

Inspired
Greetings people!

I use my Gibson Les Paul (Equipped with 11k and 8k humbuckers in bridge and neck). I am experimenting with FM3 now and noticed that my guitar does not hit the red LED on the INPUT section of the FM3 no matter what I do. At least it hits the LED before it :smile:

I did the following:
  • Input pad on FM3 is at 0 dB
  • Input Trim knob on FM3 is at max
  • Guitar vol and tone knobs are always on max

What I am missing here? Is there a HW issue that is sucking the signal out of my guitar? :neutral:

That is odd, my '59 Reissue with CustomBuckers that aren't nearly as hot as your pickups tickle red at -12dB pad.

That is odd, my '59 Reissue with CustomBuckers that aren't nearly as hot as your pickups tickle red at -12dB pad.
Ditto here with my CustomBuckers, which are all under 8k. I wonder if it is more sensitive to higher frequencies, CBs are pretty bright for humbuckers. I seem to tickle the red more with them and single coils than I do with my hotter, darker pickups.

Adjusting the input gain like that is rather controversial :). There was a debate about it a while back:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/input-gain-and-metering.163738/

In summary, there are two competing viewpoints. On the one hand, if you adjust the input gain like that, it serves to make your presets consistent when used with different guitars. This is especially important when sharing presets. However, the amp models will sound less authentic because the original tube amp has no such input gain adjustment. Neither viewpoint is wrong, but there are strong feelings on both sides of the matter.

Greetings people!

I use my Gibson Les Paul (Equipped with 11k and 8k humbuckers in bridge and neck). I am experimenting with FM3 now and noticed that my guitar does not hit the red LED on the INPUT section of the FM3 no matter what I do. At least it hits the LED before it :smile:

I did the following:

What I am missing here? Is there a HW issue that is sucking the signal out of my guitar? :neutral:
Maybe you already tried that...but even turning up the AMP level or CAB level or Out1 Level?

Greetings people!

I did the following:

Not unusual. Depends on a lot things: string height, string gauge, how hard you hit the strings, etc. All units are factory tested so it's highly unlikely there's anything wrong.

Back
Top Bottom