Input Levels

marshall2553

Power User
I just got an XL+ after having sold my Mk 1 over a year ago. I'm trying to set my input levels to just tickle the red and it seems like I have to go unusually low considering the pickups I'm using. Using vintage style PAFs and single coils (Gibson Custom Buckers and Duncan SSLs) into the front input I have to drop "Instr In" below 10% to avoid consistently hitting the red when I strum hard on the bridge pickup. Is this unusual? I know it only affects the S/N ratio for the converter, but that seems really low for low output pickups.

Hi,

When you say 'Hitting the red', if it is the output red led you are talking about (Could be but I'm not sure), decrease the level of your Amp block.

Thanks
Pauly

I just got an XL+ after having sold my Mk 1 over a year ago. I'm trying to set my input levels to just tickle the red and it seems like I have to go unusually low considering the pickups I'm using. Using vintage style PAFs and single coils (Gibson Custom Buckers and Duncan SSLs) into the front input I have to drop "Instr In" below 10% to avoid consistently hitting the red when I strum hard on the bridge pickup. Is this unusual? I know it only affects the S/N ratio for the converter, but that seems really low for low output pickups.

No, it's the input LED. I can go up to about 25% and then I start seeing red every time on the initial pick attack when I strum an E chord fairly hard.

Is there anything between your guitar and Axe-Fx or are you just plugging straight in from your guitar? Cable or wireless?

Maybe it's nothing. Depends on what "tickle the reds" means I guess. I can get up to 25% or so and only see red when I hit an E chord hard. My hottest pickups are about 8.3K ohms, most are a little under 8K. That still doesn't seem like there's much room to go lower for hot pickups. I run my AX8 with the input pad at 12dB and rarely see red on it.

I have dimarzio air classics(one dimarzio PAF type pickup)and with a 3 meter Evidence Audio Lyric HG cable and nothing else between the guitar and Axe FX II(Mark I) I have the input set to 75%.
When I strum really hard I tickle the red.

On my Axe-Fx II mkii i have input gain in 60% for bkp juggernauts and 100% for bkp Blackdogs. Red light will blink, when i hit hard on strings.

On my Axe-Fx II mkii i have input gain in 60% for bkp juggernauts and 100% for bkp Blackdogs. Red light will blink, when i hit hard on strings.
Those both look like they would be considerably hotter than my pickups and there's no way I could go that high without constantly being in the red. I wonder if this is anything to be worried about.

I know there are other variables besides just pickups but two guys with BKP's replied, one has it set at 10-17% and the other at 60-100%. How hard do you guys pick when adjusting this and what are you strumming? I'm hitting an open E chord about as hard as I ever realistically would while playing.

Pickup height is another factor to check as well.
My Juggernauts are 3,5mm from the strings, when the string is pressed from the last fret. Blackdogs are 2mm from the strings.

Edit:
I hit the low strings hard. Harder, than i would ever play and i have a pretty hard picking style.

did you try other cable ?
I tried a couple and don't see any difference. If anything, I would expect this coiled cable to attenuate more of the signal than my other cables.

I guess it isn't that big of a deal unless I get hotter pickups, then I'm not sure if I could go low enough to avoid clipping. Maybe I should contact support.

I have to run my EMG 57's somewhere around 14.5 and have always thought that was too low too but everyone says it is what it is so go with it. Seems wrong to me that I can't turn up more too but mine do the same with tickling the reds when I play hard.

Back
Top Bottom