Input levels spike to red with 0 input gain

From what I have read, 18V mod doesn't really do anything for SD Blackouts, only for EMGs. I think what is being seen is compression that is inherent in the pickup design.

Blackouts also clip, and therefore compress.

Not sure whether 18V mod helps them or not, but standard ones surely clip internally.

So yes, I agree, most probably we’re seeing internal clipping/compression.

Blackouts also clip, and therefore compress.

Not sure whether 18V mod helps them or not, but standard ones surely clip internally.

So yes, I agree, most probably we’re seeing internal clipping/compression.

Gotcha... I'll look at the wave forms closer when I get home tonight and report back, but I though this might be happening. Thanks everyone for your input!

Gotcha... I'll look at the wave forms closer when I get home tonight and report back, but I though this might be happening. Thanks everyone for your input!
If you don't want you pickups to clip you can just set them further apart from the strings.

Here’s what active pickup clipping looks like:

184906-343059.jpg

So yes, they compress! Also, they have lower peak output than high output passives.

Here's the waveform up close in Studio One... looks pretty flat, but not sure if Studio One's graphic representation of waveforms is accurate.

I'm assuming like everyone else that the pickups are the one's that are clipping, but would anyone have an explanation as to why at 50% Instrument Level on the Axe the signal would peak (be cut off) at -17db and at 5% it would allow up to a -6db ceiling?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom