Input level knob - how to set? Part 2

laxu

Fractal Fanatic
Since the previous thread on the subject pretty much went into the shitter with people arguing, I'll give this another try.

From the manual via Axe-Fx Wiki:
INPUT1/2 - These controls set the input levels to the A/D converters. For best signal-to-noise ratio adjust the levels until the top red LED just barely lights on the strongest peaks. For example, adjust INPUT1 so that when you strum your guitar loudly with its volume all the way up the red LED should light only occasionally. Setting the level controls too high may result in clipping of the input causing audible distortion. For guitars with humbucking pickups the INPUT1 control will normally be around the 2:00 position. For single coils you may wish to set this control slightly higher. For best results when plugging line-level devices into an input set the controls at midpoint and adjust the output level of the device so that the red LED barely lights on the strongest signal peaks. The LED’s indicate the signal level at the A/D converter. When the red LED lights the signal into the A/D is 6 dB below full-scale (6 dB headroom).

But how should one deal with the input levels when it comes to using the same patch with different guitars? I find that with my highest output guitar I have the input1 knob around 2 o'clock and the lower ones a bit higher. However, with my two single coil guitars I can set the input knob all the way up without ever lighting the red LED.

And what about guitars with different pickup types, like my Yamaha tele that has a humbucker sized P90 in the neck and a tele singlecoil in the bridge? Should I set the input level for the noticeably higher output P90?

Note that I'm not trying to get the same sound from the patch with any guitar, I would much prefer that the output level differences etc would make each guitar sound different with the same patch.

laxu said:
But how should one deal with the input levels when it comes to using the same patch with different guitars? I find that with my highest output guitar I have the input1 knob around 2 o'clock and the lower ones a bit higher. However, with my two single coil guitars I can set the input knob all the way up without ever lighting the red LED.

It's like playing the same amp with 2 different guitars...it would sound different. I set my input to my highest output guitar and then the patches/amps pretty much keep reacting like they would in the real world with different guitars....

Same goes for different pickups. Some low output PUs should not overdrive the input of an amp to start with...

laxu said:
Since the previous thread on the subject pretty much went into the shitter with people arguing, I'll give this another try.

INPUT1/2 - These controls set the input levels to the A/D converters. For best signal-to-noise ratio adjust the levels until the top red LED just barely lights on the strongest peaks. For example, adjust INPUT1 so that when you strum your guitar loudly with its volume all the way up the red LED should light only occasionally. Setting the level controls too high may result in clipping of the input causing audible distortion. For guitars with humbucking pickups the INPUT1 control will normally be around the 2:00 position. For single coils you may wish to set this control slightly higher. For best results when plugging line-level devices into an input set the controls at midpoint and adjust the output level of the device so that the red LED barely lights on the strongest signal peaks. The LED’s indicate the signal level at the A/D converter. When the red LED lights the signal into the A/D is 6 dB below full-scale (6 dB headroom).

And what about guitars with different pickup types, like my Yamaha tele that has a humbucker sized P90 in the neck and a tele singlecoil in the bridge? Should I set the input level for the noticeably higher output P90?

Note that I'm not trying to get the same sound from the patch with any guitar, I would much prefer that the output level differences etc would make each guitar sound different with the same patch.

I set the input to tickling the red for my hottest guitar and forget it. My guitars with weaker pickups still have a ton of headroom and are quiet.

javajunkie said:
laxu said:

I set the input to tickling the red for my hottest guitar and forget it. My guitars with weaker pickups still have a ton of headroom and are quiet.
+1

That's the truff of it....

MV5BMTMzOTk3OTMxMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTY.jpg

I have several Taylor acoustics and a T3/B along with a 50th anniversary deluxe strat with Samarium Cobalt Noiseless (SCN) pickups.

I have my input1 maxed and couldnt tickle the red if I hit the strings with a sledge hammer. I always assumed the SCN pickups just aren't that hot. I thought when I obtained the Taylor T3 that it would be different and I would have to lower the input1 setting. Not so. No red.

I am a total rookie at all this and am learning everyday about the equiptment as I learn to play. What are some of the pickups that are normally associated as being "hot"? I would love to borrow a guitar and check to see if I can tickle the red.

Also, does the output and the fact that I am using spdif with no real output control from the Axe-Fx effect the input in any way?

Just curious...

cobbler said:
What are some of the pickups that are normally associated as being "hot"? I would love to borrow a guitar and check to see if I can tickle the red.
Hot you ask ...? Start at the top end and try Duncan Blackouts or anything that has the word Distortion in its name. Pretty much any pickup that makes a guitar sound like an angry compressed little bee and which lets the tone of your fingers the least shine through :lol:

Hey man, find some other pickups to slag on, perhaps a set that you've actually played.
The Duncan Blackouts sound nothing like what you describe as the highs are actually rolled off versus peaky, generally brighter passives.
Put another way, don't confuse what you see kids Guitar Center do to the amp EQ with how the pups sound.

I'll also assure you that 'Raining Blood' doesn't just sound as good with my Duncan A2 '78 pup equipped guitar either.

And yes, I too use a hotter and a colder guitar without adjusting the input. Folks do realize you are, in essence, boosting a lower output guitar by running the input so hot to "compensate"? To me it defeats some of the purpose of the difference! Leave it alone and ENJOY the difference.

-P

i say we just keep arguing about it until people realize there's no point because everyone has his own opinion.
:roll:

Chris,

I don't see that in this thread anyway. People largely are with the 'set it for the hottest and forget it' if I do a visual poll...

-P

I've noticed that when I try and emulate my old EMG pickup+Peavey 5150 tone, the Axe-Fx doesn't even start to sound right until I've set up the input knob so that the red LED barely lights up AND I set up a Filter block within the Axe-Fx to boost the signal to the amp block by 8 or 9 db.

Just setting up the input volume knob doesn't do it.

I set mine to not tickle the red but maintain a constant yellow. Not because I am afraid of red, I just perceive to like the response better this way. For me, any higher on the input and I perceive more compression on the feel.

Back
Top Bottom