Input Gate vs Gate Block

Dino334

Inspired
I’m torn and would like to hear others opinion on these two. Since the recent updates, the noise gates on both the input and gate block are vastly improved and equal or superior to anything on the market. I used to use a gate block exclusively instead of the input until the input gates were improved.

I find the input gate to actually do a slightly better job than the gate block now. Though when I use the gate block Instead of the input gate, the tone I get is just slightly different, Almost like there is a hint of compression to it and a little more pleasing to my ears. Am I just hearing things or has anyone else ever experienced differences in the two.

FWIW, I’ve ditched the gate block and use the input gate now. Thanks again Cliff & Co for an amazing product, updates, and continued progress!!

I’d like to hear this from some others as well! As far as input gate, maybe there’s some impedance-involved things going on with the gating, given it’s an option in the corner. As far as other differences between the two, I’m not too sure.

I find that on really saturated presets, I’m using noise reducer on input gate and another gate after the drives. It’s loads better with the noise reducer, so I’m a happy camper. We truly do now have the best gate on the planet!

I like a minor input gate and then a gate block post amp set to address the level of gain.

I on the other hand am still Not Happy in gate-and-noise land. I'm playing an EJ strat with normal single coils, and at gain, especially when I'm close to the computer, tons of interference, high buzzy crap, hate it.

I've been concentrating on the input gate first, no joy. Nose Reducer mode doesn't get rid of anywhere near enough noise. Normal gate does, but I hear it chittering unless I raise the threshold higher than I'd like.

I'll try the gate block next.

I need to revisit my Cooper master class it looks like....
I always thought the input gate was a template kinda? And if you need a block for post amp adjustments, add a block? Otherwise i definitely would like to learn better ways
thx

I on the other hand am still Not Happy in gate-and-noise land. I'm playing an EJ strat with normal single coils, and at gain, especially when I'm close to the computer, tons of interference, high buzzy crap, hate it.

I've been concentrating on the input gate first, no joy. Nose Reducer mode doesn't get rid of anywhere near enough noise. Normal gate does, but I hear it chittering unless I raise the threshold higher than I'd like.

Gates can't do miracles, that kind of noise can be quite high in level if you're really close to the pc and especially if you're using single coils.
Just stay away from your computer.

It’s very difficult to actually remove noise from a signal once it’s already in the signal.

This give me a thought. I wonder if you put an antenna on one of the inputs just to capture room noise, if that noise could then be subtracted from the signal? Basically turn the Axe FX into a big humbucker. You could probably do this in a DAW post even if it couldn’t be done in real time. The problem is that to work it would require the noise levels seen by the guitar to be stable, which means you couldn’t move around much when you were using it. I suppose you could mount the noise antennna on the guitar, which is pretty much how the Ilich system works.

Anyway, I just dodged the problem by swapping the pickups in all my Fenders to noiseless or humbucking, because the electrical noise in my room made it impossible to use SCs.

In an ideal world I'd probably switch to an EBMM or Suhr or something else with noise reduction. I didn't care for the low noise Fenders I tried, and I'm not sure the Fishmans sound like real single coils, ideally would try those too.

But the thing is, people do use single coils and live, so

Last edited:
In an ideal world I'd probably switch to an EBMM or Suhr or something else with noise reduction. I didn't care for the low nose Fenders I tried, and I'm not sure the Fishmans sound like real single coils, ideally would try those too.
I've found my noiseless nirvana with kinman impersonators, they're the only noiseless pickups that sound like real single coils to my ears (among those I've tried)

In an ideal world I'd probably switch to an EBMM or Suhr or something else with noise reduction. I didn't care for the low noise Fenders I tried, and I'm not sure the Fishmans sound like real single coils, ideally would try those too.

Live with these new gates should be stellar. Studio too.

Unless you're LITERALLY next to fluorescent lights, phones, routers, computers, etc.

In that case the noise can be more than the signal you're sending, or loud enough to create a high, undesirable noise floor.

The gates are not going to give you a noise reduction that a 10ft thick concrete nuclear silo buried 200m below the ground in the middle of Kansas would give you, but it's the next best REASONABLE thing.

Just stay a bit away from the computer. Pretty standard studio practice anyways. You can move your keyboard or whatever has your transport controls away so you don't have to inconvenience yourself much by moving the pc and monitor, as they are the ones producing the noise.

About 3ft should be more than enough distance to avoid the noise, and don't point your guitar toward the monitor. That's the equivalent of rolling your chair back enough to get up, so it's not that far away, and you can put your transport controls on a little table or chair nearby.

No noise and you don't have to replace pickups.

Total cost - $0
Total time - less than 5 secs

I found that with single coils it often helps to just change the angle relative to the computer monitor. If I sit looking to the side or away from it the noise can be significantly reduced. Just try moving around.

We are spoiled.
I have an EJ Strat and use in studio here near computer and with dimmer lights in house,etc.

The Input gate is pretty pretty pretty good.

6c6.gif

Single coils are what they are and we all have struggled with the noise for years.. I haven't liked any of the noiseless ones I have used.
I can live with the noise I still have. Just my opinion.

I think in that interview Rick Beato did with EJ he addressed the single coil hum and Eric basically said "I just deal with it. I don't even notice it anymore." :tearsofjoy:

yes but live you aren't playing inches from a noise source as massive as a computer.

I have been experimenting using the 4CM with my amps, and I've really been impressed with the results. This led me to thinking that it would be nice to have both of my amps connected to the Axe-Fx III this way so that I don't need to switch cables back and forth to use them with the Fractal. I figured that part out.

It occurred to me, though, that if I also connect the Axe-Fx III to both of the amps via MIDI, I could program it such that I could do all my channel switching for both amps and integrate pre- and post- effects using only the FC12.

My first question is: Am I correct in thinking that all I would need to do is go from the MIDI Out on the Fractal to MIDI IN on amp 1, and then from MIDI THRU on amp 1 to MIDI IN on amp 2?

My second question is: What is the best way to set up/program the MIDI on the Fractal unit?

I have never used MIDI before, so please forgive me if these questions sound naive. Thanks in advance!

Back away from the computer. Move your stuff around. Find the offending device and distance yourself from it

It's just that Axe-Edit requires a computer, ya know, and so does a DAW, and I'm by myself here, so what gets done gets done by me, close to the computer sometimes.

Look, I know the noise gate won't work miracles, and I don't know where I was expecting this conversation to go, just reporting the facts, and my frustration.

It's just that Axe-Edit requires a computer, ya know, and so does a DAW, and I'm by myself here, so what gets done gets done by me, close to the computer sometimes.

Look, I know the noise gate won't work miracles, and I don't know where I was expecting this conversation to go, just reporting the facts, and my frustration.
I think we’re all near a computer with our guitar in lap to use Edit. Some guitars are more prone to noise, that’s all. It’s a reality of gear.

I mean try and see what part of your system causes the most noise. You might find relocating the pc itself and having monitor on long cables to be a cleaner sound. Experiment and you’ll likely be able to improve the noise somewhat

Back
Top Bottom