Input gate or gate block ?

Did you read any other posts than GiRas in the link? The 2 different gates are different.
Yes I read them , but I read that the block themselves are silent too . So the thing to put a noise gate block to kill the noise of silent blocks 😅, that’s why I am ok only with the input block so .

Yes I read them , but I read that the block themselves are silent too . So the thing to put a noise gate block to kill the noise of silent blocks 😅, that’s why I am ok only with the input block so .
The blocks aren't silent. Distortion and compression raise noise levels, just the nature of the beast. What the Axe-Fx doesn't do, is add noise that is avoidable in the digital world, like from bad shielding, transformer hum, dirty power etc.

I say this cause some people put a noise gate block before the amp in the chain not after, so it was the same using the input gate no ?
They do input , gate , amp , then output
No still not the same. However I always put a gate after the amp and side chain it to the input. I don't use the input block anymore, since using a gate block. I just like the way it controls the noise better.

The gate block does not support the "Noise Reduction" setting.

I generally use the Input Gate to reduce noise, and then another gate to shut things down in the chain.
A gate block does support noise reduction and can be set that way, by using SCSEL.
Input gating can be used with a gate block, but why would you want to, if you can achieve the exact same results with better noise reduction.

The blocks aren't silent. Distortion and compression raise noise levels, just the nature of the beast. What the Axe-Fx doesn't do, is add noise that is avoidable in the digital world, like from bad shielding, transformer hum, dirty power etc.
The block themselves are silent. They do amplify the noise coming in but they don't have any thermal noise as real device made of physical components would have.

Personally, I like to use the (modern) input gate with a very low threshold (most of the time lower than -95 dBs) just to get rid of the basic noise coming from the guitar and run "old school" with muting and guitar volume. If I have to do some super heavy staccatos for metal, then I may kick in a gate block sidechained to the input.

The block themselves are silent. They do amplify the noise coming in but they don't have any thermal noise as real device made of physical components would have.

Personally, I like to use the (modern) input gate with a very low threshold (most of the time lower than -95 dBs) just to get rid of the basic noise coming from the guitar and run "old school" with muting and guitar volume. If I have to do some super heavy staccatos for metal, then I may kick in a gate block sidechained to the input.
So we're saying the exact same thing, but just differing on what we define as silent. When you say silent, some people might interpret that as that using a gained up amp in the Axe won't produce more noise than running a DI, which isn't the case (as you stated yourself).

Well I have done tons of gate test and ... I stay with the input gate 😅. When I switch guitars I got less surprises with it . Using the gate block, I need to set a different threshold etc depending the guitar . Don’t ask me why 😅

Back
Top Bottom