Input gate or gate block ?

My name is mud

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
I personally use the input gate . But it seems that most of the people use a gate block . What is the main reason ? It don’t sound the same ? More flexible ? Habits ?

Input Gate is for the noise from your guitar.

Gates elsewhere are for noise from the previous blocks. you'll see gates after Amp blocks set to higher thresholds to control amp noise from high gain, for example.

but the input gate works very well with high gain dist too 🧐
the input gate is for the noise from your guitar.

an amp block set to high gain can cause additional noise and can be tamed with an additional gate after the amp block.

if the input gate does what you need, then you may have never been in a situation that needed more gates.

I think i need to redo some tests . What is the best way to have a very clean sound with gate off to a gated high gain dist so ? Just a gate after the amp block turned on and off in different scenes ?
if I remember, I found the gate block very rude compared to the input gate who sounded more natural hm .

you can change Channels in the Input block for different gates for different Scenes.

since the Input Gate block is meant for the noise coming from your guitar, keep in mind that the noise from your guitar doesn't change if you change amp blocks or gain. you might hear more noise when a higher gain amp is amplifying that noise, but the original noise/signal isn't changing.

once i find where to set my Input gate for my guitar, i set every preset to that because noise from my guitar isn't changing, so i shouldn't need to change the Input Gate settings. extreme settings in the Input Gate can cut off the sustain of my strings, so if i need additional gating due to a noisy amp setting, i add a gate. that said, i've never needed to do that, as noise is part of the game with guitar amps and gain, so i have an acceptable - and expected - level of noise in some higher gain sounds.

if you've ever played a full stack loud without any pedals, you'd have learned pretty quick how to mute and hold the guitar to prevent squeals :)

I say this cause some people put a noise gate block before the amp in the chain not after, so it was the same using the input gate no ?
They do input , gate , amp , then output

(And yes I have played 4x12 and 8x12 without a noise gate for years and years in the past , muting with volume or the tuner hahaha )

I say this cause some people put a noise gate block before the amp in the chain not after, so it was the same using the input gate no ?
some people don't use the gate in the input block. it can be for any reason.

It depends on your use. I tend to use input gate only on most sounds, especially church sounds. But with high gain, sometimes the gate is used as an effect to get the clean almost artificial chop and end to the signal. So it depends on the use case. And really whatever the player prefers.

The standalone Gate/Expander block can be set for Sidechain to work off the input signal, but offer gating after an Amp block for more precise settings. I've use both and find the gate block to work better than the input gate.

This is the same reason I use the Gate Block and one of the main reasons I bought the Axe-Fx II because I don't know of any other modelers that have a gate with a side chain.

I also wrote some tutorials on using gates and they're listed at the bottom of the Wiki Noise gate page under "More information about noise gates"
# https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Noise_gate#More_information_about_noise_gates
# https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...ho-wants-more-dynamics-and-pick-attack.49252/
# https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/i-love-hate-noise-gates-youtube-video.116883/#post-1395772
## https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/i-love-hate-noise-gates-youtube-video.116883/#post-1402834

If you put the gate after your amp and sidechain it from the guitar input you have a Fortin ZUUL essentially, which if I remember is a THATcorp VCA based gate. THAT remade the old DBX VCA everyone loves.
I only use gates if I really absolutely have to, like with 4cm and a real amp, or I want a special effect like stuttering. Check my normal post-amp setting (set to fit your needs) in the screenshot.

Attachments

• gate_sidechain.png
    gate_sidechain.png
    36.8 KB · Views: 68
I personally use the input gate . But it seems that most of the people use a gate block . What is the main reason ? It don’t sound the same ? More flexible ? Habits ?

The input gate and the gate block are equivalent for the purpose of gating noise, particularly when the block is sidechained to the guitar input. However, it is a common technique to do gating in two stages. Using both the input gate and a gate block allows you do this. In other words, you generally don't use the gate block instead of the input gate...you generally use it in addition to the input gate.

I used to use a gate block exclusively, high gains amps and all, but since the input has been reworked outstandingly a while back. I pretty much use that and no block. I did remember there were a few different flavors in the sound when using one or the other. I‘ll have to revisit the gate block later tonight.

The gate block does not support the "Noise Reduction" setting.

I generally use the Input Gate to reduce noise, and then another gate to shut things down in the chain.

I use a Drive-Gate-Amp chain so as to rise signal level with drive and block undesired palm mute tails with gate before entering the amp for an ultra-tight metal sound. It is similar to sidechaining but I've found that (for me) this scheme is easier to control.

The input gate is for the noise from your guitar. Gates elsewhere are for noise from the previous blocks.

I did not know this. Looks like I will be rethinking some of my uses. I generally use the input block to have one less block in the chain but sometimes it doesn't cut it therefore I turn it off and put in a Gate block. Only in one or two circumstances have I used both. Thanks for this info.

Back
Top Bottom