Input + Gate .... " Level Setting " .... can this be used as an Analog-Stage Guitar Input Pad ?

ben ifin

Experienced
Hey all

Ive got some FW 8 presets where I would like to apply a pre-AD [ Analog Input Stage ] Pad to my guitar input signal .....

So I noticed in the " Input + Gate " Page in Axe-Edit that the Gate has a " Level " setting ...... however I dont use the Gate - I run the " Threshold " on OFF - .... so my question is:-

=> if I keep the Gate Threshold OFF, but I set the Level to [say] - 4 db ...... will that Pad the incoming Analog Guitar Input by -4 db (?) -or- does that Level control only exist in the DA-side of the unit ?

I had initially thought I could put a Vol or Filter Block and set it to -4db but I figured as that block would be in the "grid" that it would be operating in the DA-side of things too and therefore it would not Pad the analog guitar input (?)

Hoping this makes sense.

Thanks,
Ben

No, everything on the grid, including the Input and Output blocks, are after the A/D. The Input Trim control in the I/O menu is before the A/D. You can use that to reduce the level into the A/D.

No, everything on the grid, including the Input and Output blocks, are after the A/D. The Input Trim control in the I/O menu is before the A/D. You can use that to reduce the level into the A/D.

Thanks hugely :)

-> as in the " INSTR IN " that ranges from %0 <-> %100 (?)

-> I run mine normally on %24.3 ........ is there a way to roughly calculate what % figure I would need to drop too for [say] a 4db cut (?)

Hoping I am understanding this correclty

Thanks again,
Ben

If you want 4 dB of gain reduction:
A = 10^(-4/20) = 0.63
So you need to reduce your input pad by 37%. The new value is 0.243 * 0.63 = 0.153 => 15.3%

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom