Input Clipping Thread

Hi! The input clipping in my case started suddenly on my axe fx ( firmware 22 beta 9)…. Tried the trick with the imput sensitivity adjusment but it didn’t work. I changed the input from analog to digital and back again to analog…. The input clipping dissapeared and so far everything it’s ok. I don‘t know if it makes any sense but it worked for me.

Hi! The input clipping in my case started suddenly on my axe fx ( firmware 22 beta 9)…. Tried the trick with the imput sensitivity adjusment but it didn’t work. I changed the input from analog to digital and back again to analog…. The input clipping dissapeared and so far everything it’s ok. I don‘t know if it makes any sense but it worked for me.
Do you mean it started suddenly after the firmware update? If so, it's because this is a new feature added in this firmware.

I had mine set at default 50% for ages, but now as I see it’s clipping I lowered it to suit my EMG equipped Luke guitars, to around 30%. All OK, then I tried my LIII which is the loudest guitar I own by far, and i had to drop it down to around 15% and it still clips occasionally when I engage the guitar’s boost function. I had no idea before this firmware that my signal was too hot.
What pickups you got your L3? Transitions or the MMs?

I'm a little confused. Is there any reason not to just set it to 5% so you'll probably never clip, and then just forget about it? Is there any benefit to finding just the right setting before you start clipping?

I'm a little confused. Is there any reason not to just set it to 5% so you'll probably never clip, and then just forget about it? Is there any benefit to finding just the right setting before you start clipping?
Yes. Doing so optimizes the signal to noise ratio at the input.

With that setting, you should be able to easily trigger an "INPUT CLIP!!!" message on the new firmware by playing a palm muted E power chord, not even that hard. I lowered mine to 20% and can still trigger if I hit it hard enough. But to eliminate it altogether, I have to set it to 3.9%.
I am seeing the same with my LP. Early 2000s LP with no pickup covers. I ended up bringing A/D Sensitivity down to around 13% to avoid 99% of the clips.

I think best experience is not to use Axe-Edit but edit directly on the AxFx. You have a better UI with level meters that make it easier to see where the levels are at. Hopefully they will update AXE-EDIT to show the clip indicator and also have the level meters in the input levels setup page.

A learn function would also be a nice feature while we are at it :). Just hit learn and start bashing away and have AXE-EDIT set the optimal setting.

Or even better have an option to enable that in background so it will automatically adjust. That way if I switch from LP to Strat and back again we always get optimal setting.

Back
Top Bottom