• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Input block Impedance question.

Tom Morris

Power User
I play several guitars into the AFXIII. When practicing at home wired with a guitar cable I have one guitar that's a little brash so I was playing around with the input block impedance. The question is when using a wireless will this achieve the same affect?

guitarmike

Experienced
Wouldn't it depend on exactly where the impedance circuit is located. I'm guessing that it is a part of the digital domain in case it doesn't matter if you're connected with a cable or not.

guitarmike

Experienced
Let me be the first to correct myself.
From the wiki: "Variable input impedance changes the analog circuitry of the input jack to interact with the guitar pickup. It recreates the way that some classic effects “load down” pickups, causing a change in frequency response".

plyall

Power User
Right, so if you use a wireless you effectively lose this capability, as the wireless unit is the first thing your Axe will 'see'. Typically wireless rigs provide very high impedance to the guitar.

peteri

Experienced
Exactly - or to be pedantic, your guitar is always 'seeing' the wireless transmitter and has no visibility of what is happening after that.

If you use a cable the input impedance of the III will load the guitar pickups differently depending on the setting

FractalAudio

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
I play several guitars into the AFXIII. When practicing at home wired with a guitar cable I have one guitar that's a little brash so I was playing around with the input block impedance. The question is when using a wireless will this achieve the same affect?
No, the wireless acts as a buffer.

Top Bottom