Wish Input and output combo jack wish ...

jimmynorrisjr

Experienced
Please replace the current jacks with combo jacks for the next release. It would be easier to route my mic through to control the vocoder or mic output.

Also, there is no mic pre in the Axe so connecting a mic might result in not enough signal.
I am using a mic pre before the Axe. An XLR out would be nice. Output 1 goes to my speakers, output 2 goes to the mains. Output 3 is my mic output to the mixer. This way I can turn on/off the mic when using the vocoder or not.

If all the jacks were combo jacks it would be more versatile. I'm talking next gen, not Af3.
I get why you’d want that, but the best you could hope for is to have all the input jacks be combo jacks. An output combo jack would be physically impossible to design. That’s why no one ever has.

I get why you’d want that, but the best you could hope for is to have all the input jacks be combo jacks. An output combo jack would be physically impossible to design. That’s why no one ever has.
Sorry, can you explain it like I’m five as to why a combo output jack is impossible?

Because an XLR output jack has pins sticking out of it. That would prevent inserting a 1/4” plug into the same connector.
Oh I see, so it’s not necessarily that the jack wouldn’t work if it were identical to the combo input jacks, it would just require a female-to-female XLR cable if you planned to use that output with XLR, which would require a custom cable, etc. So basically more trouble than it’s worth. I get it now; thank you :)

Oh I see, so it’s not necessarily that the jack wouldn’t work if it were identical to the combo input jacks, it would just require a female-to-female XLR cable if you planned to use that output with XLR, which would require a custom cable, etc. So basically more trouble than it’s worth. I get it now; thank you :)
That’s partly it. The other part is that you’d be selling gear that uses a female XLR connector for its output. No one does that, because it would violate the standard. XLR output connectors are male.

Last edited:

Input 2 already has a combo jack. So, for his wish to control the vocoder with a mic connected with an XLR cable, he can already do that. In fact, the analysis input of the Vocoder defaults to input 2 for just that reason. Being a processor for guitar, I'm not sure a combo jack on input 1 would be of any use. And, as Rex says, an output combo jack makes no sense.

Realistically though, without phantom power, plugging a mic into input 2 is problematic. It's probably safe to assume the Axe-FX IV will supply phantom power.

Maybe the next gen connectors will be gender neutral.
That would be bad.

We know from our own personal experience that we slam connectors into ports when setting up because we are in a hurry. That they don’t fit is all that keeps us from screwing things up initially. Plugging an output into an output could damage both pieces of equipment, and plugging an input into an input could result in many minutes spent trying to debug why there is no sound.

Besides, gender-neutral would seriously complicate the hardware and software as it tries to figure out whether it should be input or output at the moment unless there was a protocol in place to negotiate what it is, and that would force a new connector causing a huge, expensive, change in the industry and break compatibility with older gear.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that was a joke :).

Edit: Or, maybe your reply is also a joke. The use of the royal "We" makes it sound like an attempt at humor, so I'm not sure :).

Last edited:
That would be bad.

We know from our own personal experience that we slam connectors into ports when setting up because we are in a hurry. That they don’t fit is all that keeps us from screwing things up initially. Plugging an output into an output could damage both pieces of equipment, and plugging an input into an input could result in many minutes spent trying to debug why there is no sound.

Besides, gender-neutral would seriously complicate the hardware and software as it tries to figure out whether it should be input or output at the moment unless there was a protocol in place to negotiate what it is, and that would force a new connector causing a huge, expensive, change in the industry and break compatibility with older gear.
I think he meant that as a politically (non-politically) correct joke. Not seriously. A play on words of sort. 😂😂😂

Back
Top Bottom