Input always clipping

Sleeper Studios

Hi there!

Brand new to Fractal. However, I'm having issues with my new Axe Fx III. Its seems like no matter which cables I use or which instrument I use, the input is clipping. I can tell by the LED going red whenever an instrument is turned up, not even necessarily playing. All of the presets sound super distorted too - including the clean settings. This only happens on input 1. Even when there isn't an instrument plugged in, the first LED light is lit on input 1.

This occurs whether or not there is an output plugged in.

I have tried going into the I/O settings and turning down the input volume even down to 0.0%, and it's still clipping. But then if I turn it up, it clips and distorts any more.

The only thing I did to the unit was update the firmware, but that was done before I tried anything out on it, so I don't know if the firmware is the problem or not. I have reverted firmware, and I still have the issue.

I haven't found much on this issue with the iii, so I apologize if it has been resolved previously on another thread. I'm just hoping it's user error and not an issue with the unit itself.

Hi there!

Brand new to Fractal. However, I'm having issues with my new Axe Fx III. Its seems like no matter which cables I use or which instrument I use, the input is clipping. I can tell by the LED going red whenever an instrument is turned up, not even necessarily playing. All of the presets sound super distorted too - including the clean settings. This only happens on input 1. Even when there isn't an instrument plugged in, the first LED light is lit on input 1.

I have tried going into the I/O settings and turning down the input volume even down to 0.0%, and it's still clipping. But then if I turn it up, it clips and distorts any more.

The only thing I did to the unit was update the firmware, but that was done before I tried anything out on it, so I don't know if the firmware is the problem or not. I have reverted firmware, and I still have the issue.

I haven't found much on this issue with the iii, so I apologize if it has been resolved previously on another thread. I'm just hoping it's user error and not an issue with the unit itself.
What ended up happening? I'm having the same problem. Your description fits my situation perfectly.

What ended up happening? I'm having the same problem. Your description fits my situation perfectly.
If the Axe III is clipping without a signal going into it, contact Fractal Support.

If it's only when there's a signal present, adjust the input level in the Settings>I/O>Input Page (manual - Page 161). As stated in the manual, the input level can be set as low as 5% without affecting the tone. Mine's set @ 25%.

If the Axe III is clipping without a signal going into it, contact Fractal Support.

If it's only when there's a signal present, adjust the input level in the Settings>I/O>Input Page (manual - Page 161). As stated in the manual, the input level can be set as low as 5% without affecting the tone. Mine's set @ 25%.
I sent a message to support on my lunch break. Just thought I'd see how it turned out for someone who had the same issue. I'm sure support will get it sorted though. They've recommended I open it up and make sure everything is seated/connected properly. Will give it a go when I get home.

It's pretty odd, really. It's only on input 1. It shows input lights with nothing plugged in. Then when you plug in, it jumps up further. Once you turn the guitar volume up, but before you play anything, it starts clipping. Playing just makes it worse and everything sounds incredibly distorted, even the clean presets. The only way to stop it from clipping before you play is to drop the input 1 level to 0%. Once you start playing it's right back to clipping. This happens 3 out of 4 times I turn it on. Usually, I have to reboot 5-10 times before it works like it should. At first I thought it was my cables or guitar, but I've tried numerous others. I'm looking forward to getting it straightened out. The Axe Fx is my favorite piece of gear!

Have you tried the Instrument/Input 1 on the back?
Yep. Same result, which I guess kinda makes sense because it does it before anything is plugged in. Input 2 works ok though. It'll be interesting to see what the Axe looks like opened up. Hopefully it's something simple like a loose connection.

For anyone who encounters this issue and comes across this thread in the future:

I didn't find any issue when the amp was opened up. After closing it back up and reconnecting power, I booted it up and the problem persisted. After rebooting twice, the issue was gone, which is how this typically goes. I reported my findings to Support, who let me know that I'll have to send the unit in for an RMA. Luckily, I'm still under warranty. While I'm not looking forward to being without the Axe-Fx, I'm glad that the issue will get fixed. Support has been great so far. They respond really quickly and are happy to help. Not that I'm surprised - I'd expect nothing else from Fractal! Now I need to wait and see what the RMA process turns up.

Hope this helps if someone finds themself in the same situation.

Hi there!

Unfortunately this happened to my FM3 Input1. As soon as I touch the strings the input goes into clipping. Rolling the volume on the guitar has no effect as when FM3 senses the signal it goes into an 'overdrive' Padding the input doesn't help. It's super hot and noisy, distorts terribly even without the guitar connected.. I'm just a few days past the one year warranty :(

I'm going to contact the support and ask if they could sell me the main board so I could swap it.

My workaround for now is to use Input 2 - quiet as a mouse, works perfectly. I'm in the process to change all presets including all Austin Buddy's to use Input 2. IS there a way to change it globally to use Input 2?

Unfortunately this happened to my FM3 Input1. As soon as I touch the strings the input goes into clipping. Rolling the volume on the guitar has no effect as when FM3 senses the signal it goes into an 'overdrive' Padding the input doesn't help. It's super hot and noisy, distorts terribly even without the guitar connected.. I'm just a few days past the one year warranty :(

I'm going to contact the support and ask if they could sell me the main board so I could swap it.

My workaround for now is to use Input 2 - quiet as a mouse, works perfectly. I'm in the process to change all presets including all Austin Buddy's to use Input 2. IS there a way to change it globally to use Input 2?
That sucks that you're just outside warranty. Still, I'd definitely reach out to support. It sounds like you have a very similar problem to the one OP and I had. Fractal ended up replacing the main board of my Axe-FX III due to an issue with the DAC. It's working great now! Fractal's support is fantastic. Very willing to answer questions and offer advice. Once they determined I had a hardware problem, they helped me through the RMA process. I'd say it's definitely worth reaching out to them for advice on how best to proceed.

My axe fx 3 has been doing this input 1 clipping thing since I bought it almost 5 years ago..but it has never affected my tone in any way and there's no distortion or anything on the output, always sounds fine both in my DAW and live so I left it alone.

Back
Top Bottom