Input 2 question

xlb3x

Inspired
I plugged an iPad into input 2 (stereo pair) to use a synth app. How can I get that to work with a guitar in input one in the front. I'm guessing I need another chain in the preset with an amp and cab. Is this correct? How do you send the two inputs to separate amps?

I'm assuming you just want the sound from the iPad synth app to come out the same speakers you have connected to the Axe? Specifically, you're not trying to route your guitar signal through the iPad and back into the Axe? Assuming I understand your question correctly:

Add a FXL block to a new row in your preset. Connect it to input and shunt to output. That'll do it. (I just learned this myself yesterday, I use an iPad guitar training app and wanted to hear its output through the same speakers my guitar comes out of.)

Yep that is it. I just want to hear the Moog app through the Axe FX. I also have the Electro Harmonix Mini Synth app. Gonna try some VH tonight.

I used to plug my phone / iPad into my Axe, so I could play along to songs - I just put the FXL block in the bottom RHS of the grid and connected it to the output (no connection to the input) and it worked fine using a y cable (3.5mm stereo jack to 2x mono 1/4" jacks).
Using a laptop over USB now, so I can play songs in iTunes and tweak using AxeEdit

It was pretty straightforward - installed all the drivers from Fractal, then with the Axe connected over USB, I set my Windows default audio device to be the Axe and any sounds that the laptop makes are played through the Axe while it's connected. So playing songs in iTunes results in the audio being piped through the Axe (no need for any blocks) and my guitar signal works as you'd expect it to.

When I disconnect the laptop and use it elsewhere, it defaults back to using the laptop speakers for audio, so changes over automatically. Best of both worlds, but there is a slight CPU load in the Axe while working this way.

Give it a try and let us know how you get on.

Thanks, I connected my Mac as if I were going to use Axe Edit or Fractal Bot i.e. with a standard USB lead. Started iTunes and Hey Presto! Music through the Axe FX.

What I would like to know is what settings do I need to make in th Axe FX this happen? Obviously it works now but should I change something in error it might stop working!

This "use input 2 for another device to play through" business is great! Hadn't really thought of doing it, but am kind of pumped to do it now.
I use my laptop at home, but when I jam with friends, it'll be great for piping my phone's audio through to play along to songs. Thanks for the tip!

One thing I discovered this week, if you use USB from device to Axe to play along with iTunes or whatever, you need to use Out1 for your monitoring unless there is some parameter to tweak it. I had guitar set up for monitoring output 2 (copy of output 1) and no USB sound came out of output 2.

Trying to clear it up for anyone sending the audio from an iPad/iPhone/etc into Input 2, it looks (from the manual) that you don't need to connect the FXL block to the input block, just the output.

From pg. 66 in the Axe-Fx manual:

"Any signal received at the physical INPUT 2 (“FX RETURN”) appears at the outputs of [FXL]."

"Alternatively, you might use the INPUTS and not the OUTPUTS so the [FXL] block allows a second input signal to be “injected” on to the Axe-Fx layout grid at any point."

Just put the FX LOOP Block in your grid and make sure it connects to the far right Output Block. that means you can just put it in the very last column if you want. nothing needs to connect before it since it's its own signal coming directly from Input 2 jacks. now it will be MIXED in with your regular Output and guitar signal. so use the Level in the FX LOOP Block to adjust if necessary.

you need to do this for every preset you want to use. be sure it's the FX LOOP Block and not the "Send" or "Return" blocks - those are something different.

Back
Top Bottom