Initialization Procedure

200man

Power User
I apologize if this is somewhere in the literature but I just want to be clear. And thanks for helping out.

It is clear to me now...as I have updated religiously since around v18...that the presets are screwed up. I know this because I am working on one user preset only since I've bought the device and periodically I check a handful of presets to compare against. And they are now afflicted with peculiar effects.

Not a big deal...but I hear many users complain and I am sure the downloads were clean but that database configurations are not associated and/or initialized properly.

With that in mind, I will save the preset I am working on first and the first question is the following:
If I save the preset, should it be a bundled preset so it pulls the tone match user cab along with it?
I assume Yes?

Once I've saved the work I want to preserve, what is the most thorough command(s) to initialize the unit to what I should expect is a brand new initialized unit?

Thank you!

As AlbertA said the possibility of a corrupted install is virtually zero. There are multiple CRC checks and checksums, etc., etc., throughout the process. The process does not only overwrite certain parts of the firmware as someone speculated. The entire memory is erased and new firmware is installed. Finally the newly installed firmware is compared to the downloaded firmware to make sure that the installation was successful. The odds of the firmware being "wrong" are literally one in a billion.

So if something sounds wrong then it's either system settings and I would recommend doing a System Reset, some other external factor (bad cable) or your ears are just off that day.

Some days I plug in and things just don't sound right. I then hook up a reference amp and the reference amp sounds identical. So I know it's my ears. Come back the next day and everything sounds glorious. For example I plugged in yesterday and just went "wow, this sounds awesome". Quantum is really good and in many cases sounds better than the actual amps.

I'm going to reference this quote from the other thread going on.
Interesting...this is what I am saying in this thread, I do not believe it to be the program download.

...and I will proceed with a "System Reset" tonight....although I am unsure EXACTLY what that means.

Yeah, thanks... I read it at lunch at work today...
I did print out the manual...will read...I.m telling you and everyone else this process should be a sticky and explicit because it comes up every single update I've seen on this board...and the wiki is far from explicit...and according to clif...it is rife with error?...the end

Yeah, thanks... I read it at lunch at work today...
I did print out the manual...will read...I.m telling you and everyone else this process should be a sticky and explicit because it comes up every single update I've seen on this board...and the wiki is far from explicit...and according to clif...it is rife with error?...the end

it's never happened to me and countless others though.

it's never happened to me and countless others though.

I've been an AxeII owner since v1.x & have never had this issue either. It is not that common. It may seem that way because people that are or think they have a problem are much more vocal about it than the vast majority of users that have't had update problems. And as Chris will attest, having something as a sticky doesn't mean people will read it. "USB/Computer sound is quiet or silent" issues come up all the time & the answer is right there in plain sight.

Regardless...if I have an experience...ask kindly....and get told it didnt happen to me...what does that mean? I've developed embedded firmware for residential and commercial controls for 25 years and I never dismiss an incident.

Regardless...if I have an experience...ask kindly....and get told it didnt happen to me...what does that mean? I've developed embedded firmware for residential and commercial controls for 25 years and I never dismiss an incident.

I can't speak for anyone else but I am not dismissing that you did have this incident. I am dismissing your apparent assertion that this is a common issue when it isn't.

I can't speak for anyone else but I am not dismissing that you did have this incident. I am dismissing your apparent assertion that this is a common issue when it isn't.
Unfortunate for you I never used the word "common" and was clear to regard it as an incident.
Second, re-read the post...I said no big deal...I just wanted to understand the initialization process.
I have now read the wiki...read the manual...and while I somewhat understand what is being said, for a new user, trying to connect the dots between tone match blocks, user cabs, presets, global blocks...well the unit is complex, granted and is not ostensibly clear.

I thought people might want to chat about their experiences resetting elements of the unit and if there are any gotchas.
If there are not fine...I'll just keep moving forward.

Unfortunate for you I never used the word "common" and was clear to regard it as an incident.
Second, re-read the post...I said no big deal...I just wanted to understand the initialization process.
I have now read the wiki...read the manual...and while I somewhat understand what is being said, for a new user, trying to connect the dots between tone match blocks, user cabs, presets, global blocks...well the unit is complex, granted and is not ostensibly clear.

I thought people might want to chat about their experiences resetting elements of the unit and if there are any gotchas.
If there are not fine...I'll just keep moving forward.

Apparently you didn't read my post completely as I said apparent assertion it was common. Anyway, enough of this............

One can shut down one's own thread? Hmmm, maybe not...

This topic is somewhat related to something I am not clear about since moving to the XL+. I'd like to keep things alive here for another minute and ask a question, if everyone's not too grumpy that is :peaceful:

I think I have done three firmware upgrades since getting the newer unit, and with at least one of them, after installation and reboot, Axe Edit showed the unit automatically going through a process that lasted about a minute of "updating block definitions" or something like that. But one or two upgrades did not. Do you need to Update Presets or Amps after installing, or does all this happen as part of the install? Always, sometimes, never?

If not, when DO you use these utilities?

The manual says something like 'if you need to update amps or presets, heres how...'

Last edited:
Axe Edit is separate. You need to update the block definitions so it gets the latest data from the Axe itself.

Just go to the Refresh after FW Update option in the Settings menu in Edit and it will take care of everything. Yes, do that after every Axe-Fx firmware update.

As far as the original topic of this thread, it happens to some people and they report it on the forum. Maybe 10-20 people total out of thousands of Ade users, and only 2-5 report it. So I wouldn't say it's a common problem. It's just that the Internet makes it so if one person says something, people believe it it's a widespread issue. Many times it's a specific problem due to that person's setup.

Definitely report issues or problems if they happen. It helps to make the product better. But you should also listen to the answers and solutions offered.

Last edited:
Axe edit is separate. You need to update the block definitions so it gets the latest data from the Axe itself.

Just go to the Refresh after FW Update option in the Settings menu in Edit and it will take care of everything. Yes, do that after every Axe-Fx firmware update.

Ah, it just did it automatically that one time but I normally need to do it, and it was just an Axe Edit thing. Thanks!

So, don't need to do anything on the AxeII itself, correct?

Folks, this is complex stuff for new users. Have a heart here.

Yes, updating block definitions is only on Axe Edit.

As far as the Axe FX. This is clouded in that many people DO NOT need to reset system parameters. In many cases you might not want to based off your various customization's. The only way to find out is to try it, and see what it (if anything) breaks. You'll gain knowledge of the unit and be able to deal with inevitable 'oh sh!t' moments when on stage. I personally like to do it for a 'clean slate', but I know what to fix and where to fix it, so it's a matter of moments and I'm up and running. Others it's not so simple.

So to the OP: You see it's an option you MAY OR MAY NOT want to run..it's by no means necessary.

Good luck and welcome.

Folks, this is complex stuff for new users. Have a heart here.

Yes, updating block definitions is only on Axe Edit.

As far as the Axe FX. This is clouded in that many people DO NOT need to reset system parameters. In many cases you might not want to based off your various customization's. The only way to find out is to try it, and see what it (if anything) breaks. You'll gain knowledge of the unit and be able to deal with inevitable 'oh sh!t' moments when on stage. I personally like to do it for a 'clean slate', but I know what to fix and where to fix it, so it's a matter of moments and I'm up and running. Others it's not so simple.

So to the OP: You see it's an option you MAY OR MAY NOT want to run..it's by no means necessary.

Good luck and welcome.

Wow, i was asking about "Update Presets" and "Update Amps" but now that I have the XL+ in front of me--that all went away, didn't it? Now there is just Reset System, Restore System, and couple of housecleaning functions you'd probably only use if you were selling the unit. Sometimes ya gotta look at the unit INSTEAD of the manual!

Yes, the Axe must seem like a deep rabbit hole for brand new users. I bought my first Ultra in '08 and I still need help getting up to speed on the Axe II!

Back
Top Bottom