Info about Axe FX setup

Kylerpiercings

Hi everyone, my name is Kyler, I'm new here and this is my first post.

I'm looking into buying an Axe FX 2 unit soon to replace my current tube amps but I've never built a rack system and I know jack diddley squat about them.

I no longer play professionally since my business has taken off so I will be using this unit for home playing and my question would is what all will I need for a set up?

Axe FX unit, power amp, and studio monitors?

if only for home playing/recording studio monitors will be fine. If you like have an option for live gig or jamming with friends go with
poweramp + FRFR speakers
or active FRFR speakers

Many here love the Matrix power amps and their speakers too, or the Atomic CLR speakers

then of course you could run it with power amp and regular guitar cabs too. there are so many possibilities with AXE, but I think more and more people tend to go FRFR solution.

then all depends on your budget too. If you have the money go for something more high end.

Hi and welcome. If you are going to play mainly at home all you really need is a computer studio monitors as you can connect via USB. You use the power amp and speaker simulation in the axe fx. I would suggest downloading the manual as it lays out very well what the axe does and how you can connect it. The axe fx can be used in a lot of different ways. Hope this helps.

So essentially I'd just need the unit and active monitors?

That's it!? That just seems too simple.

And adding a power amp and passive speakers for jamming?

I had the same question prior to buying. IMO no one can truly answer because everyone's needs and idea of tone is completely different.

My best advice is, if you've come this far, and you can afford it..... just buy one. They give you 15 days to return it less shipping.

I've owned the Axe-FX II for a little over a week now. It's already seen 3 band jams, and a gig, and I've tried it in several set ups, including full out stereo FRFR through a 2000 watt PA, or full out stereo with modeling off into 2 marshall full stacks, I also rented some powered FRFR wedges.

I'm currently doing a classic metal / hard rock cover band.

I've settled on running main out's with amp/cab modeling on, to FOH/PA, while running out 2 (FX Loop send) with modeling off, to a Marshall 100 watt head into a Marshall 1960B cab with a mix of V30's and GT12-75's for my on stage amp.

TBH, it didn't make a lot of sense to buy a top of the line FRFR powered wedge and then use a power amp and cab modeling of the same real amp and cab I am already using.

The nice thing is, you can configure the AXE FX in such a way that you can run both at the same time, or there is also the fact that there is 384 preset's available as well as an easy backup and recall via PC/MAC so really the sky is the limit and you can program virtually any set up you want and it will always sound awesome, be it headphones, USB to DAW, FRFR, or traditional poweramp/cab set ups.

Thanks for the replies, this is helping a lot. I really want to take full advantage if the cab modeling as well which is why the FRFR monitors sound like a good idea to me, but then again I don't know either.

For playing around my home studio, I just plug my Axe-FX straight into a pair of KRK Rokit studio monitors. Works well.

Night time, I just plug headphones in and go that way.

When playing out, I use a Verve 8ma monitor as my personal stage monitor, and route the Axe-FX straight into the FOH desk.

Yep - if your playing at home, and want to use the cab sims - just a decent pair of near field monitors. If you want to play out, or jam with friends you probably need something a bit beefier - either FRFR stage monitors, a decent PA top, or a power amp and traditional cab. Which of those you choose is really up to you - but initially Id just get some near fields.

Depending on the size of your room, 8" 6" or 5" will work. I use 5" without a sub and their fine for my little room. As for which, the usual suspects in various price rages. Focal, Adam, Genlec, Event, Yamaha, Rokit, Mackie etc.

When jamming just occasionally, I would not buy a FR monitor just for that purpose.
I would plug the Axe-Fx into the poweramp section of an amp that's already present (using the Effect Return input on the amp) if possible.

Back
Top Bottom