tsmith6788

Been using this forum to learn more about my Axe Fx 2 for a while but first time posting a question.

Currently on tour with a band who uses a "noise" patch to sustain a note forever while being able to change guitars in the middle of the set. I'm having trouble figuring out how to get it exactly how I need it. I tried just copying the other guitar player's patch but he's running a very old firmware and I'm updated on Quantum making parameters differ and keeping me from getting it exact.

Wondering if anyone has any tips on how to get infinite sustain/verb on a note that will stay at full volume and not dim or fade out after I've turned my volume off (since I have to mute my guitar to change over to a different guitar). If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated and definitely help out transitioning live so the stage doesn't feel unbalanced between my side and his.

How about using a looper pedal, or configuring the axe fx looper pedal to loop the note infinitely?

How about using a looper pedal, or configuring the axe fx looper pedal to loop the note infinitely?
I've thought about using the looper but the only thing is that I don't need to have the actual attack and "hit" of the note to be repeated. When the other guitar player does it he just hits the note once and it rings and rings forever. If I use the looper I'll get the initial hit over and over. I know it's possible to do it without the looper, since the other guitar player is doing it already and it's happening in front of me. It's just so frustrating that a couple different parameters are keeping it from being successful​

How about a reverb with a few second long time, and then the hold attached to a modifier switch so you can toggle it on while you change guitars. You could even put in a volume block at the start, and put it on the same modifier switch so that depressing the switch turns the Volume down (with a long release and high damping time), so that way hitting the one switch will both cut your volume and kick on your infinite holding pedal tone drone. Here's a quick mockup of a patch that might could do something like what you're after... maybe kinda sorta...

(Note: I have the modifiers set to "External 6" in this which just happens to be what I have a wild card switch on my MFC assigned to transmit as. You'll definitely need to tweak that for whatever your pedal assignments might be to get it to work. Also, dial the curve on the volume modifier so it fades out at the rate that works best for you. As long as it hits 0 after your reverb tail has a chance to kick in should be all good.)

Attachments

• Sustain Verb.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
How about a reverb with a few second long time, and then the hold attached to a modifier switch so you can toggle it on while you change guitars. You could even put in a volume block at the start, and put it on the same modifier switch so that depressing the switch turns the Volume down (with a long release and high damping time), so that way hitting the one switch will both cut your volume and kick on your infinite holding pedal tone drone. Here's a quick mockup of a patch that might could do something like what you're after... maybe kinda sorta...

(Note: I have the modifiers set to "External 6" in this which just happens to be what I have a wild card switch on my MFC assigned to transmit as. You'll definitely need to tweak that for whatever your pedal assignments might be to get it to work. Also, dial the curve on the volume modifier so it fades out at the rate that works best for you. As long as it hits 0 after your reverb tail has a chance to kick in should be all good.)
Unfortunately I only have my iPad with me on this tour so I can't open the patch up :/ but I appreciate you sending over as a ref! I too was thinking about trying to set up some kind of mod switch to start the freeze up, but what's baffling me the most is that I know it can be done without needing to so I'm just trying see if there's a way to do it without that first. Thank you for the advice though! It's definitely a route for me to explore.

Unfortunately I only have my iPad with me on this tour so I can't open the patch up :/ but I appreciate you sending over as a ref! I too was thinking about trying to set up some kind of mod switch to start the freeze up, but what's baffling me the most is that I know it can be done without needing to so I'm just trying see if there's a way to do it without that first. Thank you for the advice though! It's definitely a route for me to explore.

The reverb block has a switch called hold. hook that up to one of your midi pedals and your reverb will stay on forever, and fade away when you let it off.

The reverb block has a switch called hold. hook that up to one of your midi pedals and your reverb will stay on forever, and fade away when you let it off.
I need to be able to walk away and change guitars, so I can't stand there and hold the switch. I've tried setting the reverb block to just always be a hold reverb but there's a dip in volume once I hit my tuner on and the level is significantly lower by the time we start the next song

"Hold" doesn't mean you have to hold the switch, it's just the name of the feature, which is basically a switch to increase the Reverb time to nearly forever. You can hit it with a momentary switch (and therefore you'd need to stand there) or you can hit it with a latching switch, and it would go forever until you switch it off again.

What MIDI foot controller are you using?

I use the "hold" function in the Delay Block - assigned to one switch on the MFC101. I've tied the same switch to ramp up settings in the Reverb block (Mix and Time...) so, that one button becomes my "infinite" button...

On the Axe-Fx just press ENTER on any parameter that can be controlled with a modifier/external controller and set it to an External Controller number (like the hold function in the delay or mix in the reverb, etc). Then assign one of your IA switches on your floorboard to that External number.

The "Hold" parameter doesn't mean you have to HOLD the button down...It's just a function that captures what your've played and repeats it...

Hope that helps...

I've thought about using the looper but the only thing is that I don't need to have the actual attack and "hit" of the note to be repeated.​
Could you start the looper after the initial attack, then close the loop a second or so later, before the note has had much chance to decay?

i think you're better off using the delay or reverb, as you may already have them in your preset. use the reverb hold function, or use delay feedback set to 100%. you haven't given us any information about how you're controlling you axe fx, but you'll need to be able to use a button or pedal that send out some cc data. you could use a cc pedal (which you may already be using for volume or wah) or a switch on your midi controller that's tied to an "external controller" in the axe fx. sounds like your other guitarist has figured out a way to do it, so maybe you could ask him to help you set it up?

Yea hold isn't a command for you - You press it, and walk away.. it will keep reverbbin' til the cows come home. This command is also found in delay blocks.
When you press it again, THEN it stops.
This is quite useful when doing p&w sets alone & acoustically, you can set your ambience background verb to the root note while you play.

Is there any way to make the first hold note not die out before transitioning to a new hold note? I'm trying to replicate what my EHX Freeze does - setting the foot switch for latching, freezing a note, hit another note and tapping the foot switch to change into the new frozen note seamlessly.

I've assigned my expression pedal to toggle the reverb hold mode, but when I go to heel down to prepare for a new hold note, there's dead space (hold note dies out for those few seconds before I go into another hold note).

I think this is what you're looking for, stolen directly from Simeon. It uses EXP1 to control the hold.

Rock the pedal forward, and play. Rock it backward to hold. Rock it forward again to gently dump the held note. Time the pedal right, and even held chord changes are pretty seamless.

Attachments

• Infinite Reverb EXT1.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 49
I think this is what you're looking for, stolen directly from Simeon. It uses EXP1 to control the hold.

Rock the pedal forward, and play. Rock it backward to hold. Rock it forward again to gently dump the held note. Time the pedal right, and even held chord changes are pretty seamless.

This patch is awesome! Great study material, since I have no idea what the hell is actually happening when I use this lol.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom