Infinite Sustain - How do I get it?

guitwiz

It seems there should be a way to get infinite sustain - how would I do that with my axe-fx ultra?

P.S. I see the Axe-Fx 2 has come out and looks awesome and I spent every penny to get the ultra - kinda pissed! But the ultra is still pretty darn cool - maybe a bit more noisy than I'd like with some of the high gain presets and I see the new version says less noise!

Distortion + Volume :)

I made an ebow effect using the synth block but it can be hard to control. I also made a patch that used a monentary switch to trigger a delay that infinitely looped for an infinite sustain.

Bakerman made a feedback simulator patch a while back as well.

Distortion + Volume :)

I made an ebow effect using the synth block but it can be hard to control. I also made a patch that used a monentary switch to trigger a delay that infinitely looped for an infinite sustain.

Bakerman made a feedback simulator patch a while back as well.

The delay trigger loop idea sounds interesting - how do I do that? The feedback simulator patch sounds good too - where can I get these patches?

Dont mean this to sound arsey but...what about installing a sustainer pickup? I've just picked up a Fernandes Revolver with a Fernandes sustainer on it and it works great.

That was based off another infinite sustain thing I was doing. It uses a combination of the volume block level, input gain of the delay, and feeback to achieve a freeze effect. You use an external modifier (switch or pedal) to switch the effect in or out.

I have a preset, based on javajunkie's E-bow settings, without a synth.

You don't hear it well in this clip because I didn't hold the notes long, but the sustain can be very long.
A pedal controls the fade-in.

Preset:
http://members.ziggo.nl/alexandervanengelen/Yeks_presets.zip

Thanks for sharing, Yek!

However, the file at the link you provided is an entire bank, not just a single preset (beware to users who just send this to their Axe using a midi librarian!)...

Can you clarify which of the presets in that bank was used for the audio clip you provided? I can guess maybe 032 ebow ... or maybe 049 feedback ... but it could be any one of several others...

Thanks!

EDIT: actually, I take that back... it is NOT a bank, but rather a zip file containing an entire bank's worth of single presets. The warning is therefore unnecessary. But my question remains: which one?

Hi!

Yes, it's the "E-bow" preset. It has a controller attached that starts at zero (mute).
To hear any sound, move the pedal that connects to External 1.

Thanks for sharing, Yek!

However, the file at the link you provided is an entire bank, not just a single preset (beware to users who just send this to their Axe using a midi librarian!)...

Can you clarify which of the presets in that bank was used for the audio clip you provided? I can guess maybe 032 ebow ... or maybe 049 feedback ... but it could be any one of several others...

Thanks!

EDIT: actually, I take that back... it is NOT a bank, but rather a zip file containing an entire bank's worth of single presets. The warning is therefore unnecessary. But my question remains: which one?

Well, this requires buying a new pickup and installing it or buying a new guitar. If you use multiple guitars this could be a problem. If it can be achieved with the Axe, why wouldn't you? (Not to be arsey...)

Hey Yek,
thanks for sharing! Great work and much nice sounds! I´ve tried many yesterday! I love your U2 Streets preset!!

Now, i don´t need to buy an Ebow! ;-)

At some presets i´ve noticed, that they don´t work. Could it be, that those presets programmed for 4 cable method? It was not clear to me, as i looked at the settings.

I´m not really sure if i´ve read it anywhere, but, do you have a Mysterious Ways preset, too?

I use a Multi Delay block, using the Band Delay type. This algorithm has four independent delay lines, each with a local feedback path, and no cross feedback paths. I use an expression pedal to control ingain and master feedback. Rocking the expression pedal from heel-down to toe-down, then back to heel-down will grab the note or chord, and it will sustain forever as long as the pedal is in the heel-down position.
350px-Band_Delay_block.jpg

Rather than posting a sysex file, I'll show how it's done from the front panel. Start with any preset. I always add this effect as a parallel block, so I can play on top of the held notes/chords.
DSC_0020.jpg

Select the Band Delay type, and attach a modifier to ingain:
DSC_0021.jpg

Here are the modifier settings for ingain.
DSC_0022.jpg
DSC_0023.jpg

On the "PG2" tab, attach a modifier to master feedback, using the same source as used on the ingain modifier.
DSC_0024.jpg
DSC_0025.jpg
DSC_0026.jpg

(continued next post)

Back
Top Bottom