Inexpensive guitar best suited for Drop-D Tuning?

richb

Inspired
I want a dedicated guitar for Drop-D tuning when I play live. My preference would be something with P90's or Humbuckers. Under $400.00. I need it for 3-4 songs we do, and we move from one song to the next, very quickly, so I want a dedicated guitar for that purpose. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks for any opinions.

I set up my Epi LP Custom for DropC. You can find used ones at/around that price and they work great. I added a Gibson TP6 with fine tuners and a TonePro bridge with Graphtech saddles. Along with the Zakk Wylde EMG set, it's one of the meanest sounding/playing sixxers in my collection.

That said, my Schecter Tempest Classic was a beast out the gates. No mods necessary. Not the Custom, but the Classic with two tone, two volume, push-pull tapped.

YMMV

What's your current guitar, and what is the bridge on it? I ask because all my guitars are hard tail. We do about 6 songs a night with Drop D, and we also change songs very quickly, and often call an audible, so I need to be ready at a moments notice. I use the Hipshot Xtender. I have them an all of my guitars. I won't gig without it. You do have to drill one small hole to mount it, as long as your guitar handles modern sized tuners. Otherwise you may also have to ream out the peg hole a little. If that's not your thing, then a second guitar would be a better option. I'm the kind of guy that makes all of my guitars road/gig worthy regardless of age and vintage status, but others like to keep their guitars as stock as possible. There are a few small tricks to setting them up and using them, but once you get the hang of it, you can switch the pitch of your E string very quickly and quite accurately. Plus it's a lot faster than changing guitars. I've even changed it mid-song.

What's your current guitar, and what is the bridge on it? I ask because all my guitars are hard tail. We do about 6 songs a night with Drop D, and we also change songs very quickly, and often call an audible, so I need to be ready at a moments notice. I use the Hipshot Xtender. I have them an all of my guitars. I won't gig without it. You do have to drill one small hole to mount it, as long as your guitar handles modern sized tuners. Otherwise you may also have to ream out the peg hole a little. If that's not your thing, then a second guitar would be a better option. I'm the kind of guy that makes all of my guitars road/gig worthy regardless of age and vintage status, but others like to keep their guitars as stock as possible. There are a few small tricks to setting them up and using them, but once you get the hang of it, you can switch the pitch of your E string very quickly and quite accurately. Plus it's a lot faster than changing guitars. I've even changed it mid-song.
FRO, I've considered the Hipshot. My guitar (for this application) would be a Schecter PT. (see my photo) I'll look into it again.

My preferred guitars for drop D tunings are Telecasters and Strats fitted with a tremelo stopper. On the down side you'll lose the ability to pull the tremelo up, on the plus side retuning to drop D or string breakage keeps the rest of the strings in tune. My preferred Tele for drop D tuning is a London City Comet. Cheap made in China guitars for between €150 and €175 used and arguably the best Telecaster in my collection. And considering that a new one costs around €225 I'd say they hold their value very well.

+1. A used Mexico or Squier HH Tele is good choice. Fixed bridge, bright tone, and tight low end for good clarity on lower tunings.

Sc245 is a perfect guitar, especially if you can get a 4 knob pre-lawsuit. It sounds like it's hollow, it resonates like a bell and the pickups sound like a $3,000 tax refund

A second hand PRS SC245 would be another great option to look at too.

Um here in the USA you won't be finding any PRS SC245's for $400.00, if someone knows where you can get one for that price PLEASE let me know.

PRS SE any model would be good or a Schecter. Personally I would prefer a neck through but I guess it would be kind of dependent on what songs your using it for. This is my recent bastard hack job PRS SE245 I picked up for drop D. Wasn't the cheapest but I liked the top
so pay I did.
IMG_3113.jpg

PRS SE are a good choice. I have to do Drop D at gigs too, and usually use a second guitar. However, if I am using a non-trem guitar with a stable neck I can switch to D or back to E by ear faster than I can switch guitars. :)

Yamaha pacifica with the hardtail bridge. Splittable bridge humbucker, P90 neck pickup. Good guitar. Really cheap.

Back
Top Bottom