Inexpensive/Budget Power Amp Recommendations?

sgplayer76

Inspired
Hi everyone! I am thinking about picking up an inexpensive power amp to use occasionally with my Axe II and Mesa 2x12 cabinet. I do not play in a band, so it would not be used often or at very high volumes - mostly just for something different and/or for fun. I'd like to get the "most bang for my buck" sound quality wise. I remember not too long ago that the ART SLA series seemed to be a really popular affordable amp here. Would that still be my best choice, or has something better come along (at a similar or lower price point)? Thanks in advance for your help!

I think the ART or Carvin DCML series are still the best bang for the buck in the US that have any kind of power. I used the SLA-2 for a few years with out any problems pushing a pair of 412's and later on some floor wedges. The Carvin is a good bet with a few extra input options but you will need to give up a space if you want any kind of power other wise you could go with the DCM200L.

You should be able to find a used SLA-2 for around $200 give or take and a Carvin will set you back a little more depending on the model.

Class A/B, the more power the better. DCM1540L for $399 would be my recommendation (unless your stuck on 1u). Carvin occasionally has "blems" on ebay for $349, which is what I purchased (not a scratch on it).

I use an ART-SLA-2 and happy with it. Sixstring is right on the price. I got it for $219 or something like that New from eBay.

Depends on how cheap you are trying to go... If you want cheap cheap cheap, hop on craigslist and grab whatever SS power amp you can find. You can dial in a decent tone with almost any power amp. May not be perfect, but you can get something to sound good, I assure you. The Axe FX can overcome just about any power amp deficiency

I think the ART or Carvin DCML series are still the best bang for the buck in the US that have any kind of power. I used the SLA-2 for a few years with out any problems pushing a pair of 412's and later on some floor wedges. The Carvin is a good bet with a few extra input options but you will need to give up a space if you want any kind of power other wise you could go with the DCM200L.

You should be able to find a used SLA-2 for around $200 give or take and a Carvin will set you back a little more depending on the model.

I am using the Art 1 space 100W SS amp with my guitar rig. I compared it to tube power amps and I actually found this amp to sound as good and much lighter and smaller foot print in my guitar rack! I am considering the Matrix but not sure it is really will make an "Oh Wow" impression on my guitar rig. Though I will have to compare to confirm.

I am using the Art 1 space 100W SS amp with my guitar rig. I compared it to tube power amps and I actually found this amp to sound as good and much lighter and smaller foot print in my guitar rack! I am considering the Matrix but not sure it is really will make an "Oh Wow" impression on my guitar rig. Though I will have to compare to confirm.

Search Amp and Cabs there have been a few that have already done this with the Matrix winning out over the Art. Given the price difference here in the US for the Matrix it is a little harder to swallow, though I havent used the amp my self from what I understand it is worth it.

Thanks for the feedback so far guys! I would prefer a single space unit, although I am not dead set against a 2U if need be. I was just on Carvin's site and saw the DCM200L is on sale for $279. I would either have to spend a little more or go used to pick up a new SLA-2. Based on most opinions and reviews I've found so far, the two seem pretty similar. I am leaning towards a budget unit mainly because I doubt I will use it much. I use headphones with my Axe II probably 80% of the time now, and studio monitors the rest. If for some reason I end up loving the Axe II/Amp/Guitar Cab set up, I would end up selling the inexpensive amp and upgrade to something like a Fryette, Engl, Matrix, or, ???.

I have tried every power amp possible including, Matrix GT800fx, Atomic 50/50, Marshall 2/90, Carvin TS-100, Roctron Velocity (which IMHO SUCKS!!!!) and a few I can't Remember. The BEST one I have tried and own IMHO for a great prices is the PEAVEY IMPR1600 2 space 3lb power amp. I had the chance to compare it to Atomic, Marshall, Matrix etc and it is by far the cleanest sounding power amp I have every heard I ended up selling it to my bass player like an idiot trying to buy other things and he is now using it with a Sans Amp Pre Amp and it sounds amazing!!! The peavey power amp is only 299.99 i believe not super cheap but in comparison to other options its fairly cheap.

SLA's are okay, except that they are fairly deep, couldn't get one to fit in my rackbag or 14" depth case. I like the Crown XLS1000, $300, lightweight and shallow!

stupidest comment ever- BUT if you have a guitar head (tube or solid state) laying around that has an effects loop BOOM
you have your poweramp for use once in a while with the axe...

I have a 2:90 but i plan to sell it because i don't need it and never use it
I have a Road King head that I'd die without that I love- and as a power amp- i can do anything with it- 6l6, el34s...etc

stupidest comment ever- BUT if you have a guitar head (tube or solid state) laying around that has an effects loop BOOM
you have your poweramp for use once in a while with the axe...

I have a 2:90 but i plan to sell it because i don't need it and never use it
I have a Road King head that I'd die without that I love- and as a power amp- i can do anything with it- 6l6, el34s...etc
I do actually, a Peavey 6505, but I'm planning to sell it soon. Its a pretty noisy amp anyways... I had a Mesa Roadster before - the Axe-Fx was GREAT in it's loop.

I do actually, a Peavey 6505, but I'm planning to sell it soon. Its a pretty noisy amp anyways... I had a Mesa Roadster before - the Axe-Fx was GREAT in it's loop.

I used a 5150 2x12 for the longest time. It was weird though the resonance and presence controls still are active, since they are apart of the power stage of the amp. It was a very dark sounding pre amp though. My 2 cents. Save up the money for a Matrix. I did it even though I was 30 seconds away from buying a used SLA in a Houston guitar store.

I have tried every power amp possible including, Matrix GT800fx, Atomic 50/50, Marshall 2/90, Carvin TS-100, Roctron Velocity (which IMHO SUCKS!!!!) and a few I can't Remember. The BEST one I have tried and own IMHO for a great prices is the PEAVEY IMPR1600 2 space 3lb power amp. I had the chance to compare it to Atomic, Marshall, Matrix etc and it is by far the cleanest sounding power amp I have every heard I ended up selling it to my bass player like an idiot trying to buy other things and he is now using it with a Sans Amp Pre Amp and it sounds amazing!!! The peavey power amp is only 299.99 i believe not super cheap but in comparison to other options its fairly cheap.

Wow you have intrigued me with this post. I was looking to spend more money on a Matrix for FRFR though found the price hard to swallow! It is great to hear there are other more quality options out there to provide as high of performance under $300.00!

Back
Top Bottom